Megapixels 0 0%
Price 4 20.00%
Recommendation 0 0%
Advertisement 0 0%
Gift 0 0%
Other 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 5, 2007, 12:17 AM   #21

If you are wanting the best detail you need to have a tripod or at leasst some way to keep the camera rock steady! Also you need to use the Macro mode on your camera and at least use the P mode in pasm...I actually like the A mode and sometimes the M or manual mode! The settings will differ according to the light source you have available and the amount of DOF you wish. If you have good light then have the light source comming over one shoulder to avoid casting a shadow and also not being directly in front and causing over exposures or having something behind the subject cast a shadow on the subject! I also use the timer to make sure that even my pressure and release of the shutter doesn't cause the camera to move. Use spto focus and center wieghted exposure with an ISO of 100 or lower! With ample light set the camera to p mode and bracket the shot with the exposure compensation. If the first shot is too dark raise the Exposure compensation to the plus side by one stop at a time until you achieve the exposure you want! Move the camera in and out instead of zooming in and out, unless the subject cannot be approached that way. Then and only then use the zoom. Also if it is too hard to get the light source in the right place ( say it is going to be behind you ) then back away and use the zoom here.

Above all do things in steps. Try one and if it doesn't work try something else. I nor anyone else can give you diffinitive settings for your shots as the available light will change from place to place and even moment to moment! Try this in program mode and then in A mode and then in S mode and then in M mode! Macros can be done in all modes includuing Auto! It is just easier in P mode where you have more control and can change things like the ISO! I hope some of this helps...One of these days I wish Kodak would furnish better info for those buying a camera. But in the meantime we will try to help! More Questions? Ask away and some ofd us will try to help. Sarah is well qualified to do this as she does it for a living!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 3:14 AM   #22

gregm1948 wrote:
Quote:
Sarah,

Which brings me to the question, do I have to go up to a DSLR to get significantly less lag between shutter release and image capture? I see on Kodak's website there's a P712 now, which they claim has the shortest lag time in the class - .07 sec, plus a 12x zoom (36-432 equiv).
Greg
Greg,

I can't speak for the P712. But I have the Z612 (12X Zoom, video, Schneider lens).

The lag times between shots is amazingly short. You can shoot practically as fast as you can depress the shutter, even on flash shots! (Many PnS cameras suffer in this area, specially with long shot-to-shot times for flash. Not the Z612 of Kodak.)

There is also the burst mode which can take, in one mode, eight shots continously and captures the pictures in vivid color outdoors.

Gary
bayani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 9:26 AM   #23

Gary,

I'd guess the 712 is an upgrade to the 612, so it does sound like it would give me the quick response I'd want in sports shooting. The price on the P712 at the moment is around $390, but that's still a whole lot cheaper than a DSLR($600-700+). I still would consider a DSLR if the prices drop some more. The Nikon D50 seems like a real contender, but I've heard good things about the Sony a100 too.

Thanks for the input.

Gre
gregm1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 12:24 PM   #24

As a part of our tools my work group has been involved with digital cameras since the only consumer cameras were 320x240 B/W. We started using Kodak color digitals as they became available because of both availability and price/performance ratio. We only use point/shoot cameras because our field people are not supposed to be pro photogs and the images they create are intended for the computer screen, not prints. As Kodak increased capabilities we purchased additional cameras. It became apparent that that we needed weather proof (dustproof!!!/water resistant) cameras about the same time Kodak released the weatherproof DC5000. We purchased about 40 and I like it so well that I purchased a refurbished model for myself. That camera has served me well for the past five years and continues to function as well as it did when I first received the camera. Although it is only 2 Mpix I can make top notch 8x10 prints if I do what I'm supposed to as a photographer. We still have about 30 in use and have had only two failures, both due to outright physical abuse. When there was a safety recall on that camera Kodak set up an extremely good repair system (about a 3 day turn around) and covered all shipping costs both ways.

Next time we needed weatherproof cameras Kodak had ceased production on the the DC5000 and had no replacement. At that same time Olympus released the first of its weatherproof Stylus series and we purchased about 40 Stylus 300s. They have met our dustproof requirements and had at least equal daylight image quality. Unfortunately much of our photo requirements involve flash and the color balance on all the Styluses we have (about 270, 300s,400s,410s,500s and 600s) and they all have a blue cast on flash pictures.

We will continue to use Olympus Stylus series camera at work because our dustproof requirement is a must and because we have support parts on hand (memory cards/readers and batteries.) However when I personally wanted a camera with a 12x zoom and optical image stabilization I looked again to Kodak (avoided Olypus because of my experience with blue flash) and have wanted a P850 since it was introduced. When it came time to actually buy a camera the 850 was being phased out. The two Kodaks that met my requirement are the Z612 and the P712. Read Steve's reviews and purchase a Z612 from Kodaks refurbish program. Only had the camera a month (about a 120 pictures testing) and I am very satisfied. I feel the Z612 offered a very good price/performance ratio compared to the other 12x IS cameras on the market right now. May end up buying another Z612 for my wife.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 1:12 PM   #25

Thanks, ac. Your experience does confirm what most of us know about our Kodak's: great value/performance/most bang-for-buck.

I did check out your Z612. It has the same click-to-capture time - .3 sec - as my P880. The P712 seems to be the replacement for the P850 and it has the shortest click-to-capture time that I've been able to find in this class of camera. I am in no rush to purchase a new camera at the moment, so my research will continue.

Greg
Old Feb 5, 2007, 3:57 PM   #26

Both Steve's review and at least one other suggested that the P712 images were not as sharp as the Z612 images. My wile likes the feel of the Z612 and offered that I could upgrade to a P712 and give her the 612. I don't really want to do that as I already have spare batteries for the 612 and the 712 uses different batteries, besides the image quality issue. I offered to buy her a 612 also which she is thinking about. I'm going to try to get her to actually use the 612 over the next few week to see if I can push her that way as then we can share accessories.

The P712 shares the external flash features as your P880 if you need that feature. I think it would probably be easier to sync slave strobes predictably with either of those two compared to my Z612 but I can do it.

I have a couple of birds in motion pictures from my test shotsthat illustrate shutter response time. Will try to upload if I can find time. One feature that got in my way was that it freezes the viewfinder for review of the last shot by default which prevented fast repeat shots. I've now switched the feature off.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 5:36 PM   #27

I wonder if the image-quality issue has anything to do with the image stabilization of the P712. I'll keep on researching this.

Greg
Old Feb 5, 2007, 11:28 PM   #28

Greg,

I wouldn't think so since both cameras have optical IS. Here are four moving target shots on a very dull gray winter afternoon. Settings - ISO 80, normal auto focus/exposure, IS/focus continuous, hand held, maximum telephoto (420mm equiv.) The original exif data should be on the pictures.

These are just test shots to start to give me a feel for how the camera handles.
Attached Images

Old Feb 5, 2007, 11:32 PM   #29

Second shot
Attached Images

Old Feb 5, 2007, 11:33 PM   #30

Third shot
Attached Images