Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Feb 7, 2007, 7:39 PM   #1

I'm sureI don't need to make it clear that these are not my images. The reason I offer the below URL is to show what I strive for in a photo. As of yet I have not achieved even a modicum of success. LOL, Plus more LOL

Maybe the camera is to blame!! :|That's it!!

Ken S.

http://hytaipan.home.comcast.net:80/...ent_photos.htm
kselfrid2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2007, 1:19 AM   #2

Every journey begins with the first step. You already know where you wish to go so the step will fall in the right pathway! Now you just have to do the hard part. Continue on that pathway and overcome any road blocks or obsticles that confront you as you take that journey one step at a time. Sometimes you will slow down or stop to rest or deal with obstructions but you will get up once more and take another step on the path to your goal.

These days everyone expects things to be immediate they have no patience and persistance....We live in the world of the Hare. They wish to do things now...they wish to have immediate understanding without the hard work that must be done to learn a craft! I taught Kung Fu for over Twenty years and even now I'm learning. I have taught to learn as by being the teacher you must make your mind focus and deliever a lesson. So many of my students wanted to ask questions and not do the repetitious work involved in learning a martial art. So many also wanted the Belts but not the true knowledge. You learn Kung fu by practicing the forms. You learn the forms by doing the movments over and over and over until they are a muscle reflex and the concious mind is no longer needed. Photography is much the same. You do things one step at a time and you repeat them over and over till you no longer have to think of them to get the job done...you now can just do it and not ponder it first!

Another thing that is wrong with this world of the Hare...This is a saying my Dad used many times as I was growing up.. " A shortcut is usually the long way around. " His meaning was to do the job right each and everytime to the best of your knowledge and ability! That is the way to being a Craftsman! In this day and time folks want it handed to them and even then they want to take every short cut on the way to learning. In the end their results will show it too!

So....Here we are again on that path.....Step By Step you proceed and you look towards your goal.....do you do as the Hare and rush through, never seeing all the things you pass by and take every short cut and easy way out that comes along??? Or do you plod along as the tortoise and look around at the knowledge that is there and learn it one step at a time. I think of you and I see a tortoise, a patient persistant man with the will power and intellect to stay the course and profit from the journey.

Join me on this journey for I have been on it now most of my life and it gets better day by day! Good luck my friend!

Edwin Skinner
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 8:48 AM   #3

Ahh, Grasshopper, very philosophic. Dawg, you have it absolutely right! As with most things in life, there are no shortcuts to understanding. Practicing your art, whether it is photography, music or martial arts, is the only real way to master it.

Greg
gregm1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 1:34 PM   #4

Sensei!

Your sincere thoughts and Greg's reinforcement have caused me to pondering what it is I'm really trying to accomplish.

I have been taking photos of some description or another for over sixty years. Mostly I am interested in preserving moments in time. That approach doesn't lend itself to timeless photography. Secondly I would like to be able to create images that would cause someone to take a second look - and maybe smile. At the moment I sort of try to make pretty pictures.

In the dark ages of film I had my own four-foot by six-foot color darkroom. I could print 16 X 20 Cibachrome prints that were so dazzling that they could knock your eyes out. But!

I was never ever sure that I had achieved an acceptable composition. The Golden Thirds didn't necessarily always work for me. Man did I sweat composition! I still do. Your admonition strongly suggests that I should put my eye to the grindstone and get my composition under control if I am to be satisfied with my work. Correct?? Or have I missed the point with my own misgivings?

Ken Selfridge

PS. The enclosed is not meant to be suggestive in any way. It is siblings traversing the front fencewhen the leader stopped abruptly causing the collision. KS

Cripes! how do I make this all fit on the screen??

Attached Images

Old Feb 8, 2007, 2:23 PM   #5

The exposure settings are the easy part and the composition and perspective are the hard ones and yes you are right. A well exposed but poorly composed photo will not get anyone's attention! Glad you saw it! As Ansel Adams said "Being a good photorapher is knowing where to stand".

Dawg

PS....That one made me look again! LOL
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 4:16 PM   #6

Thanks, Dawg! I was standing in my living room shooting throughsmudgy window paneat the subject about 60-70 feet away.

Ken S.