Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Feb 9, 2007, 7:04 PM   #11

Many thanks, Ron Baird-

Thanks for your post. As you can see from this thread, the users in this forum are dedicated Kodak users. We really do greatly appreciate the support that Kodak provides with you, Ron, here in this forum and Mike over at the Kodak Forum on http://www.dpreview.com.

My purpose with this particular thread was to do a bit of brainstorming about the future refinementswe all might find in future Kodak point and shoot cameras. We all understand that Kodak is not going to issue another DSLR camera, and that is OK. We are more focused on Consumer Digital Cameras, as the http://www.kodak.com terms them.

Like you I have been in this business for a good long time. I am in my 54th year as a Photo Professional. For the last 12 years I have been an Instructor for both for our State University and the local Community College. I also conduct Digital Camera Workshops on cruise ships. Yes, that is tough duty and it was a very hard field to break into, but then somebody has to do the dirty work. LOL!

Like BigDwag, the REAL sparkplug on this forum, I use both DSLR cameras and Kodak point and shoot cameras and have fun with both of them. I believe that you can see from reading this thread, Ron there is some measureable concern about the follow-on or replacement cameras for the C-875 (the highlight of the C series cameras), the P-880 (the big gun in the Performance series), and what can be done to help the P-712 that sort of banged its head in the professional reviews.

Once again, thanks for your input, Ron we always look forward to your posts and comments. Thanks!

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 6:39 PM   #12

Thanks Ron for your insight. I'd like to toss out idea for the future. It seem to me that in about one more generation the eye level viewfinders (EVF) will have enough resolution to allow fast precision manual focusing. At that point electronics will have effectively replaced the moving mirror/fresnal sceen/pentaprism of the DSLR hence interchangeable could became a feature of the "Prosummer" cameras.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 12:09 PM   #13

ACS-

I agree with you. We have seen EVF's get much better in the last two years. That might be a real possibility.

MT/Sarah
Old Feb 13, 2007, 5:11 AM   #14

Why are SLR cameras the choice of pros?

Is it because they have a wide choice of (quickly) interchangeable lenses?

Surely the basic design of an SLR is flawed, as it has more moving parts.

There is also a problem with keeping the sensor dust free, which you don't get with a camera like the P880 / series.

When cameras relied purely on optics, I could see the reason for the SLR, but surely with digital the view finder does not have to have a moving mirror (for example).

I think Kodak should concentrate on their "pro sumer" models, but perhaps look to a more convenient way of swapping lenses.
Ozzyoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2007, 8:55 AM   #15

canon'shave good color accuracy. i would say that early kodaks were a bit too over saturated. but current offerings, especially the P series, have some of the highest color accuracy results of all brands.
kcmargulies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2007, 11:24 AM   #16

The debate about color rendition never seems to be settled or go away. With the recent introduction of the Nikon D-40, which has colors that are a bit more saturated, the color "troops" were once again out and posting once again.

One conclusion that came out of the recent debate was that we here in the USA like more saturated colors, while those in Europe tend to like like and approve of more muted colors. The debate will most probably never cease.

However, I believe it shows rather clearly that Kodak understands its biggest market quite well. It will be interesting to see if Kodak makes any camera introductions at PMA next month.

MT/Sarah
Old Feb 13, 2007, 1:19 PM   #17

I think we like or dislike not the colour saturation, as much as the "true colours". For me the most important are true skin tones. That's where many models fail. Please don't resent on me, by I will post 2 original (only croped) images from Imaging- Resource portal as an example. The 1'st from Canon A710, the2'nd from Kodak P880.
Attached Images

Marinjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2007, 1:20 PM   #18

And Kodak P880

Attached Images

Old Feb 13, 2007, 3:00 PM   #19

marinjo-

Photos are quite like art. The colors used by the artist, or the colors in a photo are those chosen by the artist or the photographer. The photographer has even got a final choice, that is not available to the artist. The photographer can also adjust the colors of his or her photo in the post processing process.

Another issue is that small color adjustments can enhance a photo. For example, I adjusted the White Balance to a bit warmer color in this casual portrait for a better result. So I guess, another person might make the judgement that I was tweaking the colors to make the photo look more like a typical Kodak photo. But in essence I was just pleasing myself and getting exactly the skin tones I desired.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

Old Feb 13, 2007, 3:35 PM   #20

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
The photographer can also adjust the colors of his or her photo in the post processing process.
Exactly! Allthough I appreciate your view about imaging colours as an art, I'ma more technically orientated person. So I would like all digital cameras to capture the colour gamut more matching each other as well as accurately. The same as we would like our CRT and LCD monitors to be matching and accurate in colours. But the art we can make in postprocessing or finding a unique sight of view in nature, people...

Respectfully, Marinjo.