Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Feb 8, 2007, 10:47 PM   #1

OK- I hope Mike O'Brien at Kodak Corporate is watching this...

You have a totally clean slate. Exercise your mind. What would be YOUR IDEAL kodak Camera? Is it a DSLR camera? Or perhaps, it is yet another camera. This is the forum in which to put your Kodak desire in print.

For me, as an experienced teacher, I hope it would be a DSLR camera. But, then, thatmight be going a bit too far. I will settle for an much upgraded C-875 camera. I want a viewfinder ( the C-743 has one, why not the C-875?), better zoom, and IS.

Is that asking too much? I think not. Kothe "come back kid of 2004 throughdak can rise to the top of the heap. they are the "come back kid corporation of 2004 through 2007."

Please, please go for it Kodak!

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2007, 10:55 PM   #2

Didn't Kodak have an SLR a few years ago?

I think I would like to see a small waterproof P&S.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 11:42 PM   #3

Dr. Spock-

Yes, more than a few years ago, Kodak marketed a very excellent DSLR camera based upon the, then current, Nikon DSLR body.

Kodak's very biggest market is in point and shoot cameras. IMHO Kodak has to take the C-875 (a great camera!) and improve it even further, adding IS, more zoom, and a REALLY workable optical viewfinder, like we already see on the C-743.

MT/Sarah
Old Feb 9, 2007, 12:54 AM   #4

Sarah, splendid choice for a topic, and I echo your sentiments about a "much upgraded C-875". Here are some ideas for the C875 successor:

- Optical image stabilization - very useful, of course, but particularly in small cameras. This is probably the most obvious improvement.

- Less aggressive noise reduction. I have photos that were taken ISO 64 that exhibit the dreaded "watercolor effect" in darker areas because of over-aggressive NR.

- Higher resolution LCD.

- Continued improvement on the "auto scene" mode. It's a neat concept that actually sometimes works. Continued evolution and promotion of this feature would continue to bring photography to the masses - and isn't that really Eastman-Kodak's legacy?
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 6:13 AM   #5

I was a devoted Kodak DX7440 user for 2 years, until I switched to Canon A710IS. In fact I was very satisfied with my Kodak except for one thing I couldn't bear- the colour cast. It was especially annoying on skin tones but only when shooting indoors with Flash. But you are forced to use Flash inonly ambient room lighting with a camera of this class.I had to remove the colour cast in PShop in every picture where there were people. I couldn't stand to see my famous faces (relatives, friends,..) looking reddish or even purple. That was not my mistake, although I'm partially can call myself a novice. You can reed it as well in numerous respectable reviews.

Canon has the most accurate colours compared to other brands. Other than that I can say that my Kodak DX7440 was even more user friendly, than my new Canon. Except for some features, as is IS, because A710 is an 2 years younger model. So my wish for Kodak- improve the colours (may be it's White balance) and everything will be OK.

Best wishes to my teachers from Kodak forum camp!
Marinjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 8:45 AM   #6

I think I would simply want a REAL advancement/refinement/improvement on the P880 and P712. Larger sensors, about 10 mp, use a Zeiss lens instead of Schneider. And have them use the same camera body and similar model names like P900W/P900Z. I would certainly buy another Kodak meeting these specs.

I don't think it would make sense for Kodak to try and re-enter the DSLR market. I think there was room for one more major player and Sony grabbed the opportunity first and released a kick-azz first product with the Alpha 100.
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 12:53 PM   #7

I don't think you'll see Zeisses on Kodaks. They own Schneider. Yes, I'd like to see an optical finder and optical image stabilization on the C875. My wife would let me buy one for her if it had those two features. Realistically we'll see optical IS on that class of camera before we see the return of the optical viewfinder because average consumer doesn't see the benefits of the optical finder. That's pretty much the industry wide view. The $1.68 the optical finder costs the manufacturer doesn't get them the additional customers that a .3" increase in the size of the LCD does.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 2:56 PM   #8

Thanks to all who have replied thus far, and for those folks who are new to this thread, we would love to hear your views as well!

I certainly agree with FB. We will propable not see another Kodak DSLR camera. Instead, the improvements in either the C line which I am guessing means the Consumer Line. That is where we find the much talked about Kodak C-875.

However, improvements are also needed in the Performance Line of cameras as well. The P-880 is duefor an upgrade. Keep the wonderful wide angle and imager,but add IS and a much improved EVF.

The P-712 has become overshadowed by the Z-612 due to the professional reviews that were not kind to the P-712.It is time toovercome those issues that caused those negative review comments. The hotshoe useable by the excellent P-20 flash is a great advantage, whatwe need is better optical quality.

Great posts from everyone! Thanks! Please keep them coming!

MT/Sarah
Old Feb 9, 2007, 5:10 PM   #9

Greetings MtClimber,

Mike is an associate of mine and is a Support Engineer. He is pretty much tied up with a lot of things and so it will be unlikely that he will be here.

Actually, one of the things I do at Kodak is watch these boards and newsgroups etc. While Mike is pretty much focused on DPreview, I do the same thing on most of the others as time permits. I have been doing for the last 20 years. I was available on DPreview as well until Mike took an interest in that forum.I am glad to help you, however, with anything.

As to the choice of a camera, that is a hard question, and, if it is for you,I am afraid one that only you can answer. Not everyone is the same so your likes and needs may be different from others.

What I do, and I believe what many others do, is visit as many sites as I can to get a review of the features of the 'cameras' that interest me. If it is an SLR then that is what I seek. If it is a ProSumer camera like the P880 or P712, they are excellent choices. Personally, I look for flash ability (can I attach an external flash) as well as the range of physical features. Consider the kind of photography you do, then look for cameras that offer this kind of versatility or simplicity.

Another asked about Kodak offering more pro cameras. Kodak invented the digital camera in the mid 70's and introduced the first professional camera in 91 for the Gulf war. We later offered professional cameras using Nikon and Canon camera bodies as well as Mamiya medium format backs. We also had a larger format back that did some amazing things back in 90's as well.

We have since left that market and now offer general use digital cameras from the most basic to the P880. Who knows that the future may hold.

I am usually around, MtClimber and am glad to help. Have been involved in photography for the 45 years I have been with Kodak. If you think I can help, just let me know.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Com
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 6:41 PM   #10

I already have my perfect Kodak Camera for now as Kodak doesn't have or seem to want to offer a DSLR. My DX6490 does what I want the Kodak type to do and then some. For more versatility I'll just get a Pentax K10D to accompany it. This way I'll have both worlds and the versatility I've wanted!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote