Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Feb 10, 2007, 7:52 AM   #1

It has been some time since I replaced my DX6490 with P850.
I won't talk about good features of this camera (there are many), but I will
address some issues which IMHO could be fix by firmware upgrade:

First and most important - To much noise on ISO200 and above (DX6940 has better ISO performance).
Bad timing between preflash and flash - causes that most people on my images are with there eyes shut.
Pictures are generally much softer than once i made with DX6940.

I would like to get opinions from other P850 users, and hopefully response
from Kodak.

Thanks

duga13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:07 AM   #2

(I can't believe I'm back here defending the P850 again...)

Technique:

The P850 produces decent shots as high as 400 ISO, but when you shoot at a speed from 200 to 400, always expect to do some light post-processing with a noise reducing app like Neat Image, NoiseWare or Noise Ninja... all excellent. The P850 is about average compared to its competiton for amount of noise above 200 ISO.

Use a tripod or monopod and shoot at longer shutter speeds.

When using flash... have your subject(s) close their eyes until you count to 3, then shoot. Works every time.

Yeah, the pictures are slightly softer compared with earlier Kodaks and some of the P850's competition, but then ALL digital photos need some amount of sharpening. A good sharpening workflow offsets that issue. I like to do an initial light sharpening, followed by whatever other adjustments are needed, then a final sharpening specific to what the photo will be used for-- printing at 4x6, magazine ad, the web, whatever.
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:52 AM   #3

Thanks for suggestions.

I don't doubt that ISO200-400 works nicely with scenes where you can use
speeds 200 or less, but I'm picturing Concerts and Club Gigs so i need decent
performance of ISO in speeds like 1/60 or 1/45, 1/30 with IS on and of course Flash Off.
I know that ISO problem is big issue in non dSLR cameras but my opinion is based
on experience I had with DX6490.
And I think that Kodak could enhance it's noise reduction filter on high ISO.

Regarding softens of pictures I agree that mostly it's not problem, but it can be when pictures have to much noise.
And I love to do as little editing as I can to my pictures.

Quote:
When using flash... have your subject(s) close their eyes until you count to 3, then shoot. Works every time.
This I will try Its giving me a lot of trouble.
duga13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 12:06 PM   #4

I also moved from my dx6490 to the p850 and I can tell you that the picture quality of the dx6490 is better then the p850 !!

For the noise issue, thats because they use the same sensor (same size) and increased from the 4mp to 5mp so this is the main reason there is more noise !

I also noticed that the pictures of the dx6490 looks sharper ...
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 1:09 PM   #5

Hi,

I don't want to get on the "knock the P850 bandwagon" because I have to make it work for me. I can't afford to buy another camera.

HOWEVER, Low light focus or lack of it does give me fits. The toggle stick focus in PASM is to cumbersome in most situations. Is this a hardware limitation or could another firmware upgrade fix the problem?

I had to grin at Faciabrut's suggestion that one count to three then shoot. I have about 400 shots of my catwho hasthe most beautiful eyes - with his eyes shut - TIGHT!! The one shot with his eye open is the one with his head turned. He can only count to two. LOL Non-flash shots do not have the right color cast for the indoor shots. Even with toying with the white balance. Strangely enough red eye (green) hasn't been a problem with this cat.

I would appreciate Faciabrut's or anyone else's comments. Thanks

Ken S.
kselfrid2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 2:13 PM   #6

Ken-

All photography is about good technique, as FB has said. Why not sit your cat in a nice sunlit window and tak your photo of those lovely eyes, even from outside the window if necessary.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 3:18 PM   #7

Quote:
I had to grin at Faciabrut's suggestion that one count to three then shoot. I would appreciate Faciabrut's or anyone else's comments.
Hmmm... My dog Stinky can count to 3 and tell time too. (You axed for it!)

But seriously folks... if you explore the other realms of Steve's Forums, you'll see that every type and brand of camera has at least one outstanding shortcoming or negative feature that has been discussed over and over again ad nauseum. I just bought a new Canon DSLR and everyone over in the Canon forum is whining that it chronically underexposes. Well Boo-freaking-Hoo!

Meanwhile the majority of users of each respective camera is taking fine pictures and working around or in spite of the glaring fault in their hardware. With the P850 I suggest always shooting a burst of shots and use bracketing. The old "shotgun" technique.
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 5:04 PM   #8

Boily wrote:
Quote:
I also moved from my dx6490 to the p850 and I can tell you that the picture quality of the dx6490 is better then the p850 !!

For the noise issue, thats because they use the same sensor (same size) and increased from the 4mp to 5mp so this is the main reason there is more noise !

I also noticed that the pictures of the dx6490 looks sharper ...
Makes me glad I kept mine...Also gonna keep it when I get the K10D. Also have the old K1000 too. If it ain't broke it will be used at my house forever!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 4:46 PM   #9

Thanks Sarah and Faciabrut. I needed that!

Ken S.
kselfrid2 is offline   Reply With Quote