Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Feb 10, 2007, 8:41 PM   #1

I have a Kodak DX6440 and when I zoom in on a stage to take pictures, even though the stage is well lit the pictures are dark. Is there a easy share camera that will not consume the darkness around the camera and pick up the light o the stage so the pictures are well lit. Bruce
BMyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2007, 9:01 PM   #2

BMyers-

In that situation you have to increase the ISO setting on your camera so it can record a photo in lower light level conditions, or you must use your flash. However, you must keep in mind that the range of you flash is also limited.

Bottom line, the Kodak DX-6440 is not the best camera for low light level shooting environments, so it might take a new camera as well as improved photo techniques.

Please tell us a bit more about this photo situation. How far away from the stage were you? Had you increased your ISO setting? Did you try using flash?

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 9:09 PM   #3

The stage is about 60' away. What is the ISo you are talking about and would I have that setting in my camera. I was using a flash but it is two far to carry. The stage is lit but the seating area is dark. Bruce
Old Feb 10, 2007, 9:21 PM   #4

BMeyers-

I am sorry to say that with you being 60 feet from the stage, this was an impossible photo situation. The flash on your camera went out to about 10-to-12 feet only. That is whyyours was probably a totally dark or nearly dark photo.

The ISO setting makes the camera being used more sensitive to light. Thus, it allows your camera to take photos with a smaller level of light.However, in the case there was a lot less light present than you needed to record a photo. You had to do two things to get even a poor photo.

(1) You had to get MUCH closer to the stage.

(2) You had to get much closer to the stage and increase your ISO setting.

However, as I have said previously, with the camera you were using, you had to be no more than 12 feet from the subject of your photo to record an image. In imagining the situation, this was probably not possible. At least, now you know why your camera did not record a proper photo.

MT/Sarah
Old Feb 10, 2007, 10:07 PM   #5

Can you recommend Kodak camera that would help/ Thanks Bruce
Old Feb 10, 2007, 10:39 PM   #6

Bruce-

The only Kodak camera that comes anywhere close to what you need is the P-712 equipped with the P-20 Flash. However, baring the Kodak P-712 and the Kodak P-20 Flash, which just might make it, you are talking about DSLR cameras with fast lenses and really high ISO settings.

MT/Sarah
Old Feb 11, 2007, 8:04 AM   #7

THANKS FOR THE GREAT HELp Bruce
Old Feb 11, 2007, 8:54 AM   #8

Bruce-

We are always happy to help out. Stop by again.

MT/Sarah
Old Feb 11, 2007, 11:28 AM   #9

Bruce:

Your camera does have the ability to use ISO 100, 200, and 400.

As you increase the ISO, it will do better in low light without slower shutter speeds. Slower shutter speeds will cause blur, especially if it's handheld or with moving subjects.

The tradeoff is image quality isn't as good at higher ISO--it starts to get grainy, or noisy. But it's still better to get the best exposure. So you might try it out and see if you can't improve your results with your current camera.

While some more recent models are better with higher ISO, I'm not sure that Kodak has improved much in that area. Some recent cameras also have a mechanical stabilizer which allows the use of slower shutter speeds in low light by counteracting camera shake. You could also maybe consider a model with a longer zoom. But whether the differences would be enough to consider an upgrade at this time I don't know.

The most logical Easyshare model to consider would be the Z612, which has a12x zoom, image stabilization, and the ability to shoot up to ISO 800 (though noisy at ISO 400 and up). Steve gave it a very good review:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_.../z612_pg5.html

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 7:26 PM   #10

Thanks again for all the help and education. Bruce