Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:44 AM   #1

Ron,

I recently upgraded EasyShare 5.x to ver 6.x by going to the Kodak website and downloading the application.

After installation, my laptop's boot-up time SLOWED DOWN to something like 3 minutes from less than 1 minute prior to the upgrade.

I noticed that when upgrading, Kodak adds an applet to my Start/Programs called "Bonjour". When I uninstalled ver 6.0 and Bonjour, my boot-up speed returned to normal.

Why the slow down in boot-up time with ver. 6.x?

Gary
bayani is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2007, 1:35 PM   #2

Hi Bayani,

Sorry I did not see this till now.

The reason it took you a bit longer is due to EasyShare gathering up information on all the images that it is associating for display and review. EasyShare is a cataloging program and so, though it does not move any files, it points to them. When it does it creates a catalog of data on your images etc. So, the first couple of times it starts after installation it takes a little longer. Once it is done your boot up should not be much different than it was.

The applet Bon Jour is a feature from Apple that works with the WiFi features of EasyShare. If you do not use it, then it will not make a difference. If you do, it enables some WiFi features. You can find more about it by going to the Apple site.

Bonjour works over today's standard connection technologies, including Ethernet and AirPort (802.11), etc.. It uses the standard IP networking protocols for its connections, the same as those that run the internet itself. Actually,all of the technologies driving Bonjour are open and part of the standards creation process of the IETF, as is Bonjour itself.

Since it is common and readily accessible from anywhere Kodak uses it as it does Quicktime for its movies.

Let me know if you have other questions.
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 1:35 PM   #3

Hi Bayani,

Sorry I did not see this till now.

The reason it took you a bit longer is due to EasyShare gathering up information on all the images that it is associating for display and review. EasyShare is a cataloging program and so, though it does not move any files, it points to them. When it does it creates a catalog of data on your images etc. So, the first couple of times it starts after installation it takes a little longer. Once it is done your boot up should not be much different than it was.

The applet Bon Jour is a feature from Apple that works with the WiFi features of EasyShare. If you do not use it, then it will not make a difference. If you do, it enables some WiFi features. You can find more about it by going to the Apple site.

Bonjour works over today's standard connection technologies, including Ethernet and AirPort (802.11), etc.. It uses the standard IP networking protocols for its connections, the same as those that run the internet itself. Actually,all of the technologies driving Bonjour are open and part of the standards creation process of the IETF, as is Bonjour itself.

Since it is common and readily accessible from anywhere Kodak uses it as it does Quicktime for its movies.

Let me know if you have other questions.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 8:52 PM   #4

Ronbaird wrote:
Quote:
Hi Bayani,

So, the first couple of times it starts after installation it takes a little longer. Once it is done your boot up should not be much different than it was.
Quote:
Ron,
Quote:
Even after several reboots, the same slow performance existed.
Quote:
So I uninstalled ver. 6.x and reinstalled ver. 5.x from the companion CD and my laptop is back to normal.
Quote:
Why is this so? It makes me now hesitate to upgrade my ver. 5.x and to take advantage of the new features. This is a discouragement to Kodak users.
Quote:
I used to have a Canon and their Zoom Browser is so much more fun to use and much, much easier to work with - so automated. i wish Kodak would do something in this area. The Kodak hardware I am very, very happy with. The software is a bit discouraging.
Quote:
Gary
Old Mar 1, 2007, 3:29 PM   #5

Hey Bayani,

What are the attributes of your system? Are you running Windows XP SP2? this information may be critical to your success.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Old Mar 2, 2007, 12:09 AM   #6

Ronbaird wrote:
Quote:
Hey Bayani,

What are the attributes of your system? Are you running Windows XP SP2? this information may be critical to your success.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ron,

I did a little more experimenting and came up with these results - may confuse the issue more but here goes.

First, my computer is a new unit with Intel Duo Core processor, 1GB of DDR2 (667MHz) RAM, 80GB hard drive running Windows XP SP2.

It seems, Firewall software has something to do with boot-up in combination with EasyShare.

I was running Zone Alarm Pro as my Firewall.

EasyShare Ver. 5.x and Zone Alarm Pro - no problem with boot-up.
EasyShare Ver. 6.x and Zone Alarm Pro - major boot-up problems

I uninstalled Zone Alarm Pro, installed Outpost Firewall Pro and installed EasyShare 6.2.0 - no problems at all on boot-up.

What do you think?

Gary

Old Mar 2, 2007, 9:20 AM   #7

Greetings,

EasyShare not only offers you a review of the images on your computer, but if you are connected to the web, it offers a review of your online content. So, it was likely seeking access to the internet and your firewall was blocking it.

One thing to try is to edit the controls of your firewall to allow access by EasyShare and to check and see if there is a window running behind other screens. It happens. If an allow screen was present but not activated you could not connect.

Since it works fine with the second firewall treatment, I am quite sure it will work fine with Zone Alarm as well. You just have to set it to allow EasyShare access to the web.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Old Mar 3, 2007, 7:11 AM   #8

Ronbaird wrote:
Quote:
Greetings,

Since it works fine with the second firewall treatment, I am quite sure it will work fine with Zone Alarm as well. You just have to set it to allow EasyShare access to the web.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

Ron,

The long delay is just on boot-up. So I don't think access to the web is a factor at this point in the process.

Also, Zone Alarm does pop up a screen whenever a program is trying to access or connect to the Internet. It does not happen with either Zone Alarm or Outpost Firewall Pro.

But boot-up is fast with Outpost, slow with Zone Alarm.

I read on the web that some firewalls actually slow down boot-up.

Gary

Old Mar 5, 2007, 8:49 AM   #9

Greetings Bayani,

Since the issue is related to differing software and EasyShare boots up normally with others, it does not sound like EasyShare, but how your system is set. There must be something going on with the Zone Alarm program.

Access to the web is key as EasyShare looks for it when it boots up. If there is a restriction or if it cannot access the system it will wait which makes it appear it is taking longer than it should. Check your settings for this.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Old Mar 5, 2007, 8:34 PM   #10

Ronbaird wrote:
Quote:
Greetings Bayani,

Access to the web is key as EasyShare looks for it when it boots up. If there is a restriction or if it cannot access the system it will wait which makes it appear it is taking longer than it should. Check your settings for this.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ron,

This may just be the case.

Anyway, since my Zone Alarm license expired and I need to renew, I will instead shift to Outpost since it works with EasyShare and is also rated better than ZA on reviews.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Gary