Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Feb 28, 2007, 3:28 PM   #11

Anything is worth a try. At this point I am mystified. I see no reason why removing the camera would keep EasyShare from cataloging the photos, but it is hooked to a computer and they always have surprises. As I said, I removed all the Kodak stuff from msconfig startup to try to prevent it from running at startup.

Their slowdown isn't just at boot. Everything is slowed. If the computer has been on for hours and you open a program it takes forever. It is a 30 second wait after hitting "Start" before the start menu appears for example.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 4:25 PM   #12

You might want to check Systems Information for Available Physical Memory. My past experience with a 512MB XP system is that XP slows pretty noticeably if the Available Physical Memory drops much below 128MB. If it slows more the longer it's running there is probably a "memory leakage" problem. Memory leakage occurs when programs are started and then stopped and the program fails to release its allocated memory back to the operating system. I find that email programs are bad about that but it can happen with other programs as well.

The short term answer is generally reboot as that clears the RAM but if its a frequent problem add more RAM to the system. The "sweet spot" for XP is in the 1 to 2 GB range.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 8:27 PM   #13

slipe,

I wasn't very clear. I installed the Easyshare software for my wife's camera, a DX6440 camera, along with a dock several years ago on a PIII 650 with 384MB RAM. I had the same results your friends are seeing. After uninstalling, all was back to normal. I tried updating to the Ver 6 and still had the problems. I will not install any piece of software from Kodak from this point forward.

When I bought my 850 last spring, it too came with the Easyshare software. Given my previous experience with my wife's DX6440 and easyshare, I tossed the POS Easyshare software in the trash. I don't have a dock for the 850. But there is/was one available. At least my manual references one on page 19.

I guess I am more willing to make the sacrifice of organizing my own folders rather than waiting for crappy, slow software to do it for me than some folks.

NotDadsW41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 11:33 PM   #14

ac.smith – I added memory usage and peak memory usage to processes in Task Manager. After cleaning out their msconfig/startup there doesn't seem to be anything hogging physical memory or CPU cycles, which is unusual for a computer struggling so hard. I also went through their Services and stopped anything they didn't need.

Reboot takes forever and it is just as slow after a boot.

They aren't big multitaskers. It is rare for them to have more than one item in the taskbar. Their RAM seems sufficient for their use. Without EasyShare their computer is reasonably fast.

NotDadsW41 There must be a story behind that handle.

Sorry – you are right that I didn't understand. It is odd that Kodak hasn't run into the problem more often and corrected the glitch that causes such a slowdown.

I've discussed a card reader and they aren't very bullish. I think the next step would be to check whether the camera is PTP so they can use the cradle without removing the card. If it isn't PTP then I guess I'll have to find a way of talking them into a card reader.

I don't consider it a sacrifice to use the Windows system and take photos directly from the drive. Anything else is a nuisance to me. I wouldn't use EasyShare if I had a Kodak camera. But my friends really like being able to push that button and have the pictures show up in a folder named with the date. And they like the interface with the developing services. So I have spent time trying to troubleshoot what there is about EasyShare that is slowing their computer so much. I was hoping someone smarter than me had found the solution.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 6:26 AM   #15

slipe ,

From the things you have tried to date, I would say you are more experienced and savvy than most folks. Has Kodak technical support been able to offer an help or explination?

The handle comes from a car I own. It's a very rare Oldsmobile, one of 204 made with the RPO code W41. The ad slogan for Oldsmobile at the time was "It's not your father's Oldsmobile." Hence NotDadsW41. I've always intended on getting NotDads as a person car tag for it. But some already has that local to me. And they've kept it for some 15 years already.

NotDadsW41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 10:40 AM   #16

What is the Available Physical Memory in Accessories|System Tools|System Information? Other useful information of that same page includes Total Virtual Memory, Available Physical Memory and Page File Space.

You might also want to drill down in System Information to Component|Display and see if the Adapter RAM is displayed. In the class of machine you're dealing with the video RAM is usually shared with system memory and thus is reducing the available system RAM.

I ran an old version of EasyShare on one of my computers which at the time was a 1Ghz Athlon (Thunderbird) with 512 MB RAM, a 7200 rpm HDand Me as the OS. EasyShare did not seem to affect operations. I have since reloaded that computer with XP but didn't reload EasyShare. I'll try to load a later version of EasyShare this weekend on that computer and see what happens. The memory leakage issue occurrs not because of multi-tasking but simply if programs have been started and stoppedover a period of time however if you're not seeing change operations after a reboot then that not likely to be the issue.

Old Mar 1, 2007, 11:28 AM   #17

Have you dumped the prefetch files and the Temp files as well as the temporary internet files. With the old computer I had, this speeded it up quite a bit as well as dumping the the temporary documents file on a regular basis. Only had 256 meg and a 4.5 gig hard drive. Worked well till lightning took it out. Found a place that told me how to make a batch file to keep on the desktop that automatically dumped the prefetch files with one click. Just a thought!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 12:57 PM   #18

bigdawg:

Slipe has already checked and the drive has 75% free space. Cleaning tmp and cached files isn't going to have much affect until the free space drops under 20%.

If the computer in question only had a 4.5GB HD then keeping the drive cleaned up would be a priority but then a 4.5GB wouldn't have 75% free space running XP.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 2:41 PM   #19

Greetings Slipe,

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble with EasyShare. Let me review some of the facts about it.

When you install EasyShare the first time it boots back up, it will go through your system and look for images so it take a little longer. EasyShare is a cataloging software so has to create a catalog first so it can work with it later. Once the catalog is made and completed, the system will reboot and connect by reference link to the images it has found.

From that point on your system should work pretty muchas it did in the past. In the postings here I noted that some people related to their systems running with 256 meg of RAM or 384 meg of RAM. In todays world 256 meg of RAM is OK but if you have any programs running or in the systray, it is quite easy to overload the available RAM and force the system into using ???? RAM. This is what will slow down the system.

You noted that you removed all the programs from MSCONFIG and the system ran slow anyway. If you did this correctly EasyShare would not be at all involved. Look at the systray to see if the Kodak icon is gone.

Also, yes, the V550 model camera uses PTP. Kodak, along with many others, usethis communication standard 'PTP or Picture Transfer Protocol.'Kodak was one of the first to use it and one of the primary authors of the standard, which has been submittd to the ISO and is in the process of being adopted. There are numerous advantages to using PTP, one of which is that the new direct-to-printer standard PictBridge runs on top of it.

However, most OS' do not have PTP drivers in the base OS. (Windows XP and Vista as well as MacOS X do, everything else does not) If you are not using one of these systems, this will require that you install a driver to communicate with the cameras.

The other standard that wasused isknown as USB Mass Storage Device Class, or USBMSDC. This makes the device appear as a removeable mass storage device on your computer. Support for USBMSDC is a bit broader in the native OS (I think Windows 2000 and Windows ME also have this) you still may have to install a driver to use a MSDC device.

To install just the driver for Kodak digital cameras, run the Kodak EasyShare software install, select custom install and install only "Camera Connection Software" You will not get any of the Kodak EasyShare software or the automatic transfer but your camera will be recognized by the computer and will show up in Windows Explorer as a hard disk.

For your friends, I would suggest to them that they increase the RAM on their system. I am pretty sure they will find that everything works better. Things in the computer world move at a much faster rate than other technologies. Vista for example really requires at least a Gig of RAM but 2 Gig will make things work very well.

Give these consideration, Slipe, and see if things improve.
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 3:43 PM   #20

Ron,

Thanks for the expanded information on EasyShare.

A. C.