Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 1, 2007, 4:29 PM   #21

ac.smith I'm sure their computer uses shared video memory since there is no video card.

I don't have a lot of faith in system information. Right now it is showing that I have 315 Mb of available physical memory. Photoshop shows I have 845 Mb of available RAM. If I add up all the memory use in Task Manager I am using 145 Mb of RAM – lots of stuff running. So Photoshop is seeing my available RAM and I have no idea what system information is reporting. If I change the memory allocation in Photoshop and shut it down I get the same 315 with it shut down or set to a higher allocation after I open it again, so system information isn't subtracting the memory available to Photoshop. I have no idea what it thinks is using almost 700 Mb of RAM.

I just ordered them a stick of RAM. It might be worth a try.

bigdawg I cleaned out all the temp files and set IE to dump them on shutdown. No help. I even downloaded a cleaning program and ran it with the same effect. The problem seems specific to EasyShare but I'm stumped.

Thanks for the input.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 4:37 PM   #22

Slipe:

A little background on myself. I am an IT professional that sends his 40 hr. work week troubleshooting (hardware and software) XP computers scattered in 20 of 24 time zones and then I spend another 12 hrs a week teaching the subjects at a local university. I work in an office with another 8 techs supporting about a 1000 XP computers in a LAN environment. I am also an MCSE.

I am not trying to say that I (or even we) know everything there is know about computers (John Von Neumann died in 1957), this is just background for what I amabout say.

The computer you're try to fix simply does not enough resources to do useful work beyond web browsing, maybe. I polled my fellow techs and the consensus was a that a computer running XP with 256MB RAM (based on their experience) would be very slow until one actually tried to do work at which point task accomplishment starts to be measured in hours rather than seconds. From my own personal experience when the Available Physical Memory as shown in System Information drops to ~90MB the computer will exhibit the symptoms you describe.

At the prices I charge to work other people's computers as soon as I saw 256MB RAM I would have quit work on the system simply because it would be cheaper for the owners to buy more RAM than for me to continue to work on an inadequate system.

That said, I hope your friends realize and appreciate what a good friend you are to have spent as much time as you already have in this effort.

A. C.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 5:08 PM   #23

How much RAM do you have in the system you gave me the numbers for? It wasn't the one you're trying to fix. I also suspect your Photoshop is adding the available physical RAM and the available virtual (HD) RAM.

These are the numbers for the system I am using right now as of right now. I have my email running with one email open, three web pages open, an Excel spreadsheet open and Systems Information open:

Total Physical Memory: 1024 MB

Available Physical Memory: 531.64 MB

Total Virtual Memory: 2.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory: 1.96 GB

Paging File Size: 2.40 GB

Photoshop is not loaded on this computer but when I fired up Adobe Acrobat Professional its System Info was in close agreement with Windows System Info.

I suspect changing allocations in Photoshop won't show in System Info until Photoshop actuall uses the RAM. The ~700 MB System Info shows as used (by implication) is what it takes for XP, Photoshop and any other applications you have fired up to put enough of themselves into RAM to operate efficiently.

A. C.

Old Mar 1, 2007, 6:11 PM   #24

Slipe:

I put in some FUD on my last reply. System Info takes a snapshot when it is fired up. If you change allocation on a program that you can select allocation or fire up another program that change will not show until you refresh System Info. To refresh System Info go to View|Refresh on the System Info menu. This knowledge is almost subconscious with me but maybe it slipped to unconscious this time. Sorry.

A. C.