Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Feb 26, 2007, 4:01 PM   #1

Friends have a Kodak V550 and the EasyShare software is slowing their computer to a crawl. They like the easy downloading through the cradle using EasyShare, so I've been trying to troubleshoot the problem.

A couple years ago they had film developed with a Kodak Picture CD. The CD came with EasyShare to access the photos. It slowed their computer to a crawl. I uninstalled EasyShare and the computer went back to normal.

Early last year they were looking for a camera and I recommended the V550, which they have been very happy with. Unfortunately EasyShare slowed the computer again.

I thought I had solved the problem by defaulting EasyShare to download to a regular folder and removed the folder it made in shared photos in documents and settings. The computer seemed to go back to normal, but has slowed again. It isn't just a slower boot. Everything runs slow even after the computer has been left on overnight, so I'm pretty sure it isn't an initial cataloging of photos. Programs that should take a few seconds to open take minutes.

What I have tried:
Downloaded EasyShare 6 – no change.
Removed all Kodak stuff from msconfig/startup.
Ran SpyBot and Adaware with current definitions.
Did a full system virus scan with current definitions.
Defragged the drive.
Checked Task Manager for excessive CPU & RAM use – seems normal.
Everything looks OK in Device Manager.

Does anyone have any ideas for troubleshooting EasyShare that I have missed? Maybe an applet I could disable?

Does anyone know whether the V550 is PTP?

I suppose I could attach a card reader. They really don't want to do anything but push the button on the cradle and a card reader defeats the convenience of the cradle.

They have XP Home SP2. I think it is a 2.2 Ghz Celeron with 256Mb RAM.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2007, 8:47 PM   #2

I had the same problem when I upgraded EasyShare Ver.5 to Ver.6 by going online.

I noticed that ver. 6.x installed a small program called 'bonjour" that seemed to cause the slowing down of my computer.

Check if your installation also included this applet. Uninstall it and see what happens. I do not think this will affect the main program. It looks like it is used for better network connections when EasyShare upgrades.

In my case, I uninstalled ver 6.x and went back to ver. 5.x installed from the CD that came with my Z612. This brought my computer back to normal.

Gary
bayani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 9:46 AM   #3

The first version they installed was from a picture CD over two years ago. I have no idea what version but it slowed their computer. Version 5 installed from the CD that came with the camera and also caused the slowdown. Version 6 was downloaded just in hopes they had corrected the problem but it was the same.

Their problem doesn't seem to be version dependent.

Old Feb 27, 2007, 12:52 PM   #4

How big is the HD. what is the rotation speedand how much HD freespace? The RAM seems very small to me. I don't ever run XP with less than 512M and and 1G ismy preferred.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 1:04 PM   #5

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
How big is the HD. what is the rotation speedand how much HD freespace? The RAM seems very small to me. I don't ever run XP with less than 512M and and 1G ismy preferred.
All the specs I know are in my first post: XP Home SP2. I think it is a 2.2 Ghz Celeron with 256Mb RAM. I don't remember the HD size but I looked at properties and it is less than 25% full.

I expanded Task Manager to include cumulative use and it isn't showing excessive CPU cycles or memory use for any process after running for long periods. Usually if the computer is slugging along you will find something hogging CPU cycles or memory. Not so in this case.

Old Feb 27, 2007, 2:34 PM   #6

Given that the cost of a USB card reader is less than $15.... I'd teach them how to create/organize folders on their hard-drive, buy them a card reader and run from the Easyshare software as fast I could.

I had the same troubles when installing on WIN98 when we bought my wife's camera several years ago, especially when using the dock.

When I bought my 850 last year, I took one look at the CD for Easyshare and tossed that POS into the trash.

Kodak makes a decent camera. But their software engineers stink.

NotDadsW41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 3:11 PM   #7

I think I read the 850 isn't PTP, so a card reader is your only option other than EasyShare.

My friends are a little cool to the idea of a card reader. They like just pushing the button on the cradle to the point where they go have breakfast while the computer boots rather than let me remove the software. They also like the automatic connection with the developing site.

They would be happier campers if I could get EasyShare working without so much of a slowdown on the computer. It isn't my cup of tea but they like it.

If it is PTP they would probably also prefer that to the card reader. I'll try that next time I'm over if someone doesn't come up with some ideas of how to get EasyShare to live in harmony with their computer.

Old Feb 27, 2007, 3:53 PM   #8

Maybe I'm mis-reading something but do they put the camera in the cradle and then boot the computer?
Old Feb 28, 2007, 2:24 PM   #9

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
Maybe I'm mis-reading something but do they put the camera in the cradle and then boot the computer?
The camera pretty much stays in the cradle when they aren't using it. It doesn't connect to the computer until you push the button on the cradle. I have a Casio that works the same way with no problems.

Do you feel there is a problem doing it that way? It seems to be the way Kodak recommends using the camera and cradle. I haven't tried removing the cradle or camera to see if the computer speeds up.

Old Feb 28, 2007, 3:00 PM   #10

I was just considering that EasyShare, at its most basic level is a database manager. I was wondering if the slowdown at boot was from it trying to find/index photo files while Windows was really still trying to fully boot. Apparently the indexing isEasyShare's first task when firing up. Just to investigate the issue you might try booting with the USB to the cradle unplugged, evaluate boot time and system response. Then plug in the USB, check slow down, connect the camera and evaluate. This might at least provide some pointers on what's happening.