Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 2, 2007, 9:01 PM   #1

I took a couple pics with the zoom fully extended 12x/420mm. Image stabilization is set to continuous and I tried the best I can to steady the cam with my arms and knees but most of the pictures are still coming out blurry to very blurry.

Shooting a outdoor pic, flash is shut off, App is set at F4.8, Program mode automatically sets the shutter between 1/15sec to 1/25
This is what majority of the pics look like..

Am I expecting too much out of the Z612? Do I still need a tripod to get un blurry pics at full zoom?

I only paid $200 for it, so I am debating if I should take it back and spend the extra money and get a better camera or is that the best image stabilization can do?

http://www.bigempty.org/pics/tmp/100_0480.JPG

Set to ISO400 and it got a little better, but still majority are blurry

http://www.bigempty.org/pics/tmp/100_0486.JPG

Out of 15 pics I got lucky and got this sharp pic

http://www.bigempty.org/pics/tmp/100_0485.JPG
BamPnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2007, 8:02 PM   #2

No you don't need a tripod for these shots, you just need to increase your shutter speed...The old rule of thumb before IS for shutter speed was 1/distance...eg 420mm = shutter speed of 1/420..I don't know what IS throws into the equation but that first shot at 1/10 420mm shows you need to spped it up, try like 1/125

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 3:08 PM   #3

Sound like you're shooting in available darkness if the proper exposure was f4.8 (wide open at 420mm) and 1/10 sec. Dan279's recommendation of 1/125 being the minimum shutter speed is basically correct. To get anywhere close to that you'll have to crank the ISO up to 400. IS is what permits the speed drop from 1/400 to 1/125.

I have said elsewhere in this forum that I have hand held 160mm at 1/10 and furnished proof but the rest of the story is that I was sitting down and had the arm supporting the camera resting on the arm of the chair. I also have practiced shooting with slow shutter speeds.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 11:34 PM   #4

Another trick with out the tripod ( which I highly recommend) is to touch the lens gently against a support like a porch rail or building wall. This helps to steady the camera and get better low speed shots. If you had gone to manual mode and moved the arperture to the lowest stop, then the shutter speed to at least 125 and set the Exposure compensation to a +1.0 or +2.0 you would have gotten better results. At the highest Zoom even pressing the shutter button to trigger a shot will affect the outcome and quite often cause motion blur. So to answer your question ...no your camera doesn't seem to be defective but your technique can be improved. Get either a tripod or a monopod for those long zoom shots especially if they are in low light! For myself most shots below 1/60th of a second need a tripod for sharpness.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 9:33 AM   #5

Dawg is absolutely correct that even the act of pressing the shutter release can cause blur. If one presses the release until it hits the end of its travel it will cause camera motion. To reduce the motion slowly press until you see the green focus/exposure squares on the Z612 then slowly press a little further and the shutter will fire before you hit the end of the button travel.

Even if you're using a tripod at max telephoto you should consider using the self-timer below 1/60.

Don't expect to handhold at slow shutter speeds if you have just hiked 200 yds. up a 10% grade until you've had some recovery time. Most of us aren't biathlon athletes.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:58 AM   #6

Most folks can'thold below 1/125th consistantly w/o image stabilization. The focal length rule is a good rule of thumb. If you see the shutter below that you can assume blur is a possibility.

The IS on the 612 is very good, it lets me get away with shots I'd never be able to take.

Here's an example - no blur & slower than I've ever been successful @ hand holding.

Bailey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 2:44 PM   #7

Nice photo Bailey. I too use the timer to trigger the shutter release if I'm doing extremely long shots and it works great. IS is a helper but don't believe the hype from some manufacturers. You still need a tripod or a brace of some kind at low light long exposures!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 4:13 PM   #8

Shot through a window @ 1/100th I'd say it's a lucky shot :lol:

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"At 1/25th like those from the OP I doubt I'd ever get a clear shot w/o some form of rest.
Bailey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 3:37 AM   #9

BamPnw wrote:
Quote:
I took a couple pics with the zoom fully extended 12x/420mm. Image stabilization is set to continuous and I tried the best I can to steady the cam with my arms and knees but most of the pictures are still coming out blurry to very blurry.

Shooting a outdoor pic, flash is shut off, App is set at F4.8, Program mode automatically sets the shutter between 1/15sec to 1/25
This is what majority of the pics look like..

Am I expecting too much out of the Z612? Do I still need a tripod to get un blurry pics at full zoom?
Shutter speeds of 1/15 to 1/25 are a bit too low for handheld shots. Hand shake can easily blur a picture, specially at maximum zoom.

You need to bring the shutter speed up to about 1/125 if you want to do handheld shots.

So the blurry shots are not because of a defective camera.

Gary
bayani is offline   Reply With Quote