Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 3, 2007, 6:58 PM   #1

Hello Everyone,

I am going to a motocross show tonight and I am bringing my P850 along with my TCON. So expect some pictures.
shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2007, 11:38 PM   #2

Please include the settings you use when you post the pictures as I am really interested in having at least a base setup to use with my Tcon

Thanks in advance..
helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 1:30 AM   #3

Looking forward to those photos Brenden.

Base settings for the TCON......P mode...ISO80....EX Comp - 0.0. Auto white balance....Saturation normal....Sharpness normal.....center weight exposure....center spot focus. Then work from there by going either up or down with the Exposure compensation. These are the daytime settings to start with.
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 7:30 PM   #4

As I said yesterday, I will post some photos.

So here they are. I was also an indoor event so I had to incorporate panning to get ok to decent shots.

If you have Motocross, you have to have BMX... Here is one picture of BMX...

shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 11:13 PM   #5

Big Dawg....

I appreciate the information. I think I am understanding this. You adjust the exposer to increse the light so it is a brighter picture, am I correct on that? Then why iso 80, does that not let in the least light? When does the f settings come in? Also, I am wondering though what about shutter speed? Wouldn't that have to be set high for the fast action going on?

I really appreciate you sharing your expertice on this. I have been doing all my shooting with the dx6490 and the new camera using the auto setting or sports setting and I was getting great photos at the races until dark and then it goes to pot. Now with the TCON lens and the z612 I want to learn and try more. I also want to use it to shot nature shots, of animals as I live right on the edge of the Everglades.

Thanks for the info..
Old Mar 5, 2007, 12:03 AM   #6

Notice I said daytime settings. At night time it gets harder. In daytime settings for wildlife or bird shots you can use ISO 80 as this will give you the least noise in a photo and have a shrper crisper image. As the action speeds up and the light gets lower you need to move the ISO to a higher number. Here you need to try ISO 100 then if the shots are too dark for the shutter speed being used go to ISO 200...Then if they are still to dark go to ISO 400..At this ISO though you will start to see quite a bit of noise in the photo! So if you need a brighter exposure you go higher with the ISO but when you do this the noise will increase as well. If you pan with the action subject, the action subject will stay sharp but the background will blur...If you hold the camera still the back ground will stay sharp but the action subject may blur...So you increase the shutter speed to compensate. As you increase the shutter speed you allow less light in or actually the duration or time of the exposure is lessened so the volume + time of an exposure is decreased and the photo gets darker. In P mode you can change the exposure compensation and gain up the sensor for a brighter shot.( you also can do this in Auto mode!) Or you can increase the ISO or sensor sensitivity for a brighter shot. The other part of the equation is the Arperture. In M or A mode you can change this to a lower value to increase the amount of light allowed to impinge on the sensor plane. As you zoom out though the allowable arperture will change as well. The further out you go the higher the F/ stop number you will see. This is going to happen no matter what camera or lens you use.
So the settings I gave you above were for daytime still to nearly still subjects...For action shots at an arena and at night time you will have to set up ahead of time and calibrate your camera by trial and error to get the shots you want or need. I can't tell you what to use as the equation changes with the available light and the speed of the action taking place. You need to take the info of this post and apply them to the calibration or set up of the camera at any event you plan on shooting. Remember too that beyond 30 feet or so a flash is almost useless with these cameras. Also I'm not a fan of the MODES...I use the landscape mode when focus cannot be gained because of the distance of an object or the light is too low. I use the Macro for close ups. Other than that I leave them alone as they have never functioned the way I wished they would. Less than desired results will do that to you!!

Hope this helps more than hurts..

Dawg
Old Mar 5, 2007, 12:12 AM   #7

Dawg,

You are great! Man I have never seen a whole photo class in one paragraph. That is a good trick. I can't wait to try this information out.

Thanks again...
Old Mar 5, 2007, 4:43 AM   #8

You are welcome!

Dawg
Old Mar 5, 2007, 12:49 PM   #9

Dawg,

You won't believe it. I hooked up the lens this morning and went out for a walk in the glades and what is flying over me but a bald eagle. It is not the best shot but the best I have taken of an eagle over head. All I need to do now is know what I need to use to re-size the photo so I can post it.

Thanks again..
Old Mar 5, 2007, 2:17 PM   #10

I use photoFiltre.

http://photofiltre.free.fr/frames_en.htm

Or you can download the pwer resizer here.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

Both free.

Dawg