Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 5, 2007, 3:42 PM   #1

Greetings to all P880 users,

I just got me a Kodak P880. Very nice cam. The lens is magnificent.
Now for my question:
The manual says there is a Setup Setting for the Flash where one can select if the internal and the external flash, or only the external flash fires. I searched the menu of my cam over and over but there is no menu setting for the flash behavior! Is there some special trick??

Greetings from Mannheim/Germany

Wolfgang Wolters

p.s. excuse my poor english:-)
wolfgangw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2007, 5:28 AM   #2

wolfgangw wrote:
Quote:
Greetings to all P880 users,

I just got me a Kodak P880. Very nice cam. The lens is magnificent.
Now for my question:
The manual says there is a Setup Setting for the Flash where one can select if the internal and the external flash, or only the external flash fires. I searched the menu of my cam over and over but there is no menu setting for the flash behavior! Is there some special trick??

Wolfgang Wolters

p.s. excuse my poor english:-)
Wolfgand, the answer is not obvious by reading the manual. It is quite simple....attach P20 and if you want P20 external flash only do NOT flipopen the onboard internal flash cover....if you want P20 external and onboard internal then DO flip open the flash cover (make sure you have the proper flash setting that you want to use -- Auto, Fill, etc).

Regards, John...
jpfromoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 7:48 AM   #3

Dear John,

thank you for your reply.

If I got this, then this external/internal thing works only with the original Kodak P-20 flash. Then why is (was) there this menu setting? If I connect my external Philips flash to the sync connector I have to open the internal flash otherwise the external won't fire. But if i open the internal flash, they fire both. This behavior would make the menu setting sensible. Is there an extra menu setting only if I attach the original flash? This would be a bad thing.

Wolfgang Wolters
Old Mar 7, 2007, 5:24 AM   #4

wolfgangw wrote:
Quote:
Dear John,

thank you for your reply.

If I got this, then this external/internal thing works only with the original Kodak P-20 flash. Then why is (was) there this menu setting? If I connect my external Philips flash to the sync connector I have to open the internal flash otherwise the external won't fire. But if i open the internal flash, they fire both. This behavior would make the menu setting sensible. Is there an extra menu setting only if I attach the original flash? This would be a bad thing.

Wolfgang Wolters
Wolfgang, I looked again and can't find any setting in the manual. Anyway, I only use a P20. I do believe other people have used other external flashes without the internal flash being open. I think Mike O'Brien from Kodak has discussed this on the Dpreview.com Kodak Talk forum. Unfortunately, the Dpreview search function is not working right now. Once it is working, perhaps you can search Dpreview Kodak Talk forum using either "p880 external flash" or "p880 slave flash" search terms. Hope this helps. John...
jpfromoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 2:13 PM   #5

Dear John,

many thanks for your help.

I made a mistake. I thought, similar to the behavior of my Caplio GX, the Sync Connector would not send a Signal to the external Flash if there is no Flash program used in the Camera. This is false. There is a Signal for the Flash everytime the Shutter is released, regardless of the settings in the Camera. So my problem is solved thanks to a guy that posted a reply to my question in a german forum (http://forum.penum.de/showthread.php?id=39053). So the Caplio GX is the exception regarding this behavior. Most other Cameras seem to behave like the P880.

Thanks once more

Wolfgang Wolters
Old Mar 9, 2007, 11:05 PM   #6

Mike O'Brien did comment on this in the DPReview forums. As I remember, there is such as setting on the P850, but not on the P880. I belive there was a clerical error in the early P880 manuals that mentioned a menu setting, but there is none.

I've used both the P20 and an external flash with the P880. Both work well with no menu settings.
dsmjbeal is offline   Reply With Quote