Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 6, 2007, 12:43 PM   #11

When you are going to take pictures without a flash in light that may be on the low side you should keep your eye on the shutter speed that the camera is going to use at the given moment in addition to the subject. If the subject is moving and you still do not want to use the flash you can opt for a higher ISO.

1/ Was baby moving :?

2/ What shutter speed was the camera choosing :?

3/ What ISO was the camera set at :?

4/ Remember your camera may be automated but the instruction book must be read the old fashion way :idea:Eight dollar cameras also come with instruction too !

Bill

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 3:46 PM   #12

why do I insist on using camera in low light with no flash ... we don't want to flash in the eyes of a newborn baby ... the camera is very good otherwise ...
minnieusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 3:49 PM   #13

Is this your first Digital Camera ?
flymhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 4:11 PM   #14

Quote:
why do I insist on using camera in low light with no flash ... we don't want to flash in the eyes of a newborn baby
Perfectly understandable, my point was really that few cameras will produce acceptable images under such low light conditions. You'll get either blurry or have lots of noise......more of an expectations issue.
Bailey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 6:01 PM   #15

minnieusa wrote:
Quote:
I have never had this problem with any and all cameras I have had, including throwaway $8 cameras from a drug store ... Trying to take pictures of a baby indoors without flash ... every shot blurry ... I know there are other cameras I can buy that will give me what I want ... sorry I bought a Kodak
Actually, I too, am not impressed with this camera. The flash indoors is very harsh. I got it cheap ($240). I can take some impressive shots if everything is right.

I had a Z740 that took awesome pics. I left it out in the rain and it still works but some settings don't work anymore (timer, burst, etc).

I thought the 612 would be just as good or better but it's not. It has problems with focus and noise.
ironalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 6:49 PM   #16

No not my first digital ... have sony and olympus ... dropped the sony in a swimming pool, olympus was 4.0; with 3.0 optical ... thought I was upgrading
minnieusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:10 PM   #17

I know what you mean. I once bought a P850 because the price was so low. I only kept it2 months. Have a P880 now ,which I got for the exact same price, it is a way better camera but still hassome short comings compared to my FZ30 except for the 24mm lens.

Seems like the older Kodaks were better than the newer ones.

It might be better if you used single AF instead of continous AF since you still have to half press the shutter to get a focus lock. I did a little test with the P880 and it took me longer to get a focus lock in continous than single.

The only small sensor cameras that are good in low light are the Fuji..F series as far as I know.
flymhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 10:04 PM   #18

We still don't have any data (pictures) to work with. Are yours more or less sharp than the silk flowers here,

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...light=ac.smith

and the ceramic cardinal here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=87

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 9:05 AM   #19

Quote:
I know what you mean. I once bought a P850 because the price was so low. I only kept it2 months. Have a P880 now ,which I got for the exact same price, it is a way better camera but still hassome short comings compared to my FZ30 except for the 24mm lens.

Seems like the older Kodaks were better than the newer ones.
Huh? Is not the 880 newer than the 850?

I don't think a "good in low light" exists in the mega-zoom realm. Sure you can jack up the ISO rating (ala Fuji) but you're still working with a max 2.8 & a small(ish) sensor = they are all compromises. Each company decides on the compromise they're going to make.

Panny = sure you can do lower light but we'll process the heck out of the image

Fuji = we'll give you lower light capability w/ higher ISO speeds which means more noise so post shot processing is in order

Kodak = you want low light? Use a flash, a tripod, or both.

There's really nothing wrong with these approaches, they're just different...........but these cameras may look like DSLRs but they ain't. If you really want low light performance then get a DSLR & a fast lens.
Bailey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 11:36 PM   #20

If taking pictures without flash in very low light is a big factor for you, you may have to go to a DSLR. They are a lot more flexible and the capability for excellent photos under trying conditions is much better than P&S cameras. Of course, you need to pay the price.

As ac.smith commented, even other cameras in this catergory would have a tough time and may only be marginally better in quality.
bayani is offline   Reply With Quote