Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 7, 2007, 11:51 PM   #21

Hello,

Here is a shot I got of my dog, no flash, P mode, ISO 400, and adjusted the exposure to get the desired effect. So, what I would say to try is to add more light to the room and give this a shot.

Hope this helps.

Attached Images

helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 11:05 AM   #22

First of all - that's a pretty nice pic.

1/3rd sec is a pretty slow shutter, okay for tripod & non-moving objects but I doubt you could get a newborn clearly at that speed :-)

You can either get more light with more lights or windows or have the subject nearer to the source of the light (i.e. sit near the window).

You could also diffuse the flash, simple piece of tissue paper (like lens cleaning paper) over the flash will work. A piece of milk jug also works. Then experiment with the shutter/aperature & see what you can get.
Bailey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 2:03 PM   #23

thanks everyone for running with this thread ... I learned a lot
minnieusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 6:57 PM   #24

Looks like the P850 and P880 were announced the same day. Actually without the 24mm lens and the manual zoom the 880 is no better than the 850.

I`ve owned 12 digitals, 6 big zooms and the Kodaks are at the bottom of the pile by far. The biggest drawback is the slowness. Takes 21 seconds to write a RAW file to the card. FZ30 does it in 4 seconds, focuses 4x as fast . Takes 8mp burst picsfaster than you can count plus other things.

I believe economy cameras is all Kodak will make from here on out.
Attached Images

flymhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 9:37 PM   #25

flymhi wrote:
Quote:
I`ve owned 12 digitals, 6 big zooms and the Kodaks are at the bottom of the pile by far. The biggest drawback is the slowness. Takes 21 seconds to write a RAW file to the card.
What model of Kodak have you had experience with that has this drawback of long write time?
bayani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 10:12 AM   #26

My P880 . There was a big discussion a while back on the Dpreview forum. One guy claimed it would write faster with a particular memory card buy got no comfirmation for anyone else.

I just tested it 3 times and it took 14 seconds. I have tested a few times in the past and it took 20 sec or more. The number of pics on the card may be a factor. Card is empty now.

Old Mar 9, 2007, 10:21 AM   #27

All this is silly though, no point in arguing about it. If you don't like it, don't buy it. My P850 writes a raw file in 8 secs. I don't use RAW and never plan to do so either.

What shocks me most is not that you are hanging out on a Kodak forum when you hate their cameras but the fact you bought 6 of them!

My P850 is definitely not perfect. It's focus is on the slow side and it's noisy at anything above ISO 200. But I prefer it to my wife's TZ1, specially when it comes to image quality.
bravedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 10:23 AM   #28

Quote:
The biggest drawback is the slowness. Takes 21 seconds to write a RAW file to the card. FZ30 does it in 4 seconds, focuses 4x as fast . Takes 8mp burst picsfaster than you can count plus other things.
Hmmmmm............something seems amiss.............

From Steve's review of the 850:
Quote:
Shutter lag, the delay between depressing the shutter and capturing the image, measured less than 2/10 second when pre-focused, 4/10 second with single autofocus, and an impressive 2/10 second with continuous autofocus enabled.

Bailey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 9:20 PM   #29

The 850 is 5mp and the 880 is 8mp thats the difference in writing the RAW file.

Don`t know where I said I bought 6 Kodaks. I did buy 2 the 850 and 880. Sold the 850 2 months later. I bought it for the same reason as every one else. Price, paid $229 .

I don`t hate Kodaks but they are miles behind other mgfs. After all they have`nt been making prosumer cameras long. If someone asks for advise I will tell them the facts. I`m not a fan boy of any brand. I`ve had Oly, Canon, Fuji, Panasonic and Kodak.

My first long zoom was the Olympus C2100 ,2mp 5 yrs ago and Kodak is no where close to the equalof that camera

I agree with you on the TZ1. The pics have the water color look. Over saturated and smeared.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 9:23 PM   #30

Don`t know where I said anything about shutter lag.