Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 5, 2007, 7:47 PM   #1

I have never had this problem with any and all cameras I have had, including throwaway $8 cameras from a drug store ... Trying to take pictures of a baby indoors without flash ... every shot blurry ... I know there are other cameras I can buy that will give me what I want ... sorry I bought a Kodak
minnieusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2007, 8:35 PM   #2

Why don't you post a couple of pictures with the exif data intact.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 8:44 PM   #3

minnieusa wrote:
Quote:
Trying to take pictures of a baby indoors without flash ... every shot blurry ... I know there are other cameras I can buy that will give me what I want ... sorry I bought a Kodak
I too own a Z612 and have taken a lot of indoor shots without flash. I've had no problems with blurring. You might want to check the settings when the pictures were taken, specially if you are not on Auto mode. It could be the ISO was set very low/slow so that any hand shake results in blurring. Check also if Image Stabilization is on.

Attached isa sample of an indoor photo - taken inside a Church.

Gary
Attached Images

bayani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 9:13 PM   #4

bayani wrote:
Quote:
minnieusa wrote:
Attached isa sample of an indoor photo - taken inside a Church.

Gary
Oooopppsss, sorry, posted the wrong photo.

This shot was taken with flash enabled.

Let me check my files again for a non-flash photo.

Gary

Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:21 PM   #5

the stabilization is on continuous ...and I am trying to use the auto setting
Old Mar 6, 2007, 12:42 AM   #6

Then feel free to go buy something else please. Or you could say you need some help figuring out what you are doing wrong and we could try to help you! But just saying you are sorry you have bought a Kodak is a invitation to some folks to blast back at you.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 3:06 AM   #7

minnieusa wrote:
Quote:
the stabilization is on continuous ...and I am trying to use the auto setting
Try using the Auto setting first. And if indoor, put it ona tripod to eliminate hand shake as a factor.

Try shots with a flash and then shots without a flash.

Post samples here with the data intact. Some readers may be able to help.

Gary
Old Mar 6, 2007, 10:51 AM   #8

blast away, its ok, but its my fault I bought this camera ... Steve's reviews warned me and I ignored it that low light shooting was poor ... and other cameras were recommended that would do better ... my question would then be, why would Kodak produce a camera that has such low light capabilities when other cameras manufactures know how to produce this function ... I think Fuji and Canon were the recommended ones for that feature ...
Old Mar 6, 2007, 11:37 AM   #9

Bluntly,the best oftheother cameras in the 12x IS class is going to be only marginally better than the Z612. Depending on your actual shooting conditions none may suffice in straight auto mode. If you can give us the specific exposure data (aperture, shutter speed, ISO) we can probably make specific recommendations for both technique and alternate cameras. Deep low light capability is going to be acheivable only with dSLRs and fast prime lenses.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 11:40 AM   #10

Quote:
blast away, its ok, but its my fault I bought this camera ... Steve's reviews warned me and I ignored it that low light shooting was poor
It's not blasting so much as trying to change expectations. The brand of camera has little impact on pictures - it's the settings & capbilities.

If you're trying to take pictures in a room lit by a single light or window while using any amount of zoom it's likely you'll be disappointed with most cameras. Even @ moderate ISO speeds like 400 you're going to need a fairly low f-stop.....a fast lens. If you end up with a shutter speed below 1/100th odds are high you'll have some blur unless you have the camera supported in some way.

You can get a camera with a higher ISO capability but all you'll really end up with is a picture with more noise.

Two questions - why not use a flash? The Z612 has a darn good auto WB, the few flash shots I've taken do not have the usual "blue" tint. It seems to do a very good job adjusting the balance. Second question - if it's a picture issue it's likely photoshop (or something) can fix whatever you don't like about the flash image.

(look at the image above, an excellent flash pic - what's not to like?)

Also, fwiw the camera has a flash portrait scene - designed just for this application.

Not blasting but if you think it's "Kodak" the odds are high that you'll be disapponted with most any camera. Or in other words remember it's rarely the arrow, it's almost always the indian.

Bailey59 is offline   Reply With Quote