Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 8, 2007, 2:26 AM   #1

Hi all,

I am starting to look around at External flashes. I have my old DX6490 and I think this would be a great use for the camera because of the hook up it has on it, so I am looking for suggestions on Flash units that other recommend, and a good place to get them. Any body find any on Ebay that are any good? Also, I might want to use it once and a while with my Z612, so any suggestions on what to look for and recommendation are welcomed.

Thanks in advance.
helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2007, 8:39 AM   #2

Helper, I don't believe the z612 has a synch cord connection ( correct me if I'm wrong). That being the case and since you want to use it on both cameras, a slave may be your best bet. You want one that will not go off with the preflash. I looked on ebay and came up with this, sounds like it should do what you want and Cameta has a good rep
http://cgi.ebay.com/Auto-Flash-for-K...em160090544235
they also have a kit with rechargeable batteries+ a charger etcincluded for an extra $20...your call
http://cgi.ebay.com/Auto-Flash-for-K...em160090327383

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 10:51 AM   #3

Greetings Helper,

There are a lot of flashes out there so it depends on how you want to use it and more importantly what kind of photography you are going to do.

I have a Sunpak 622 that is more than powerful enough for me. It has a handle that allows you to mount the camera on it. That scenario takes care of most everything I do. Remember, all the DX6490 does is accept the pulse from the flash to fire it. There are no communications between the camera and the flash. The exposure therefore is based on the the features of the flash and the settings you have chosen for the camera.

You should become familiar with the flash you choose as the more features it has the more you will be able to do.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 4:00 PM   #4

Hi all,

Thanks for the information. I know the 6490 has the ability to plug in a flash, so you can use an external. I want to get a flash to use at the races (short track), shooting in the pits, and for shooting parties and other events in doors. I know there are some powerful flashes out there, the 10 feet out of the built in stinks. That is why I am considering getting an external flash setup. I think I will mostly use it on the 6490 as I have the 612 setup with the TCon for long distance day shots and have yet to try it for a night event. Hopefully this clears up what I am trying to do.

Thanks in advance.
helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 6:18 PM   #5

if its just for the 6490 you can go for a synch cord flash. Many of us use Sunpak and are happy with them. Check out these models at b+h, the 383 or 544 should serve you well ( the 383 would need a mounting bracket of course)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...mp;Submit.y=10

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 9:33 PM   #6

In some quick experimentation I managed to get one of my ancient Honeywell photo slave strobes to sync with my Z612. This particular setup used the slave stobe in a bounce mode to soften the shadows from the on camera flash which it did. The auto exposure worked so that both with and without were properly exposed. The Z612 will pre-fire the flash to aid focusing so the ambient light has to be high enough to prevent the pre-flash. I haven't had a chance to play with using the Honeywells as the main lighting.

That said a camera with an external connection would be easier.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote