Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 10, 2007, 11:05 AM   #1

I currently have a P880 but a friend of mine has bought a [img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Aron/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/img] [img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Aron/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/img] [img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Aron/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/img] P712 and is raving about it's quality in low light conditions. We are both nightclub photographers and this is the main reason why we need a high performance camera.

The P880 copes well enough, but I can definitely see room for improvement.

So how do you rate the P712 next to the P800?
Which of the two would you consider the best all-rounder?
TheMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2007, 12:14 PM   #2

Depends on your main use I suppose. One has 12x zoom and the other has 24mm.

I have a 880 and had a 850 which is bascially what a 712 is.

I sold the 850 after 2 months and still have the 880.

The image quality and manual zoom ring makes the 880 best, IMO. Did you know you can go to full zoom with the 880, focus and then zoom in or out and that area will stay in focus. With a motorizedzoom you have to refocus anytime you zoom a little.

I find the wide angle more useful than the 12 x zoom in my FZ30.

The 712 has a smaller sensor so I doubt the image quality is better than the 880.
flymhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2007, 12:16 PM   #3

Compare them. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...0&show=all
flymhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2007, 1:02 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies there chaps.

I had already used the compare feature at Dpreview, but I'm really looking for personal opinion from owners.

I have to admit that I do love my P880 and I'm not really looking to replace it. I do love the manual zoom ring and I'm not sure I could go back to motorized again now. But the 24mm lens is more a benefit to landscape photographers where my main use is portait photograph of sorts.

I think I'll ask if I can take his camera out for a test drive tonight and see how it feels.

Thanks guys.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 8:26 PM   #5

Let us know what YOU think after a test drive on the P712. Iappreciate having 420mm and IS available on my Z612 but the lens on the P880 is plenty long enough for effective studio portrait and environmental portraits. If you're working from a tripod or using strobes then IS is irrelevant so it seems to me that the 880 is a good fit for you.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 7:39 AM   #6

I had the opportunity to test drive two cameras.

The P712 and the Fujifilm S9600.

I have to say that I gave the P712 back after shooting a few shots. I just couldn't get my head around the motorized zoom having spent the last 6 months working with the manual ring.

But then a Fujifilm Finepix S9600 was suggested as a slightly more powerful replacement for the P880.

I like the S9600. It's similar to my P880 in terms of design and use, with a manual zoom ring etc. But there's a couple of additional features which would work well for me.

The 10.7x optical zoom is very nice and would definitely come in handy when shooting stock photographs.

And the adjustable LCD is a brilliant feature. I shoot in nightclubs and often take overhead shots of the clubbers. With the P880 I'm guessing my frame, but now I can actually frame my shots properly!

Sure I've sacrificed my 24mm lens. However, it was rarely used within my line of work and I have the option to by the wide-angle converter/lens for the S9600.

Not wanting to turn this thread into a Fuji promotion, I'll finish here and start a new thread on the Fuji board.

But to close... I'd definitely not replace my P880 for a P712. The manual zoom makes all the difference to me and I'd never go back to motorized.

[/b]
Old Mar 27, 2007, 12:48 PM   #7

TheMachine wrote:
Quote:
But to close... I'd definitely not replace my P880 for a P712. The manual zoom makes all the difference to me and I'd never go back to motorized.
[/b]
I am shocked at all the complaints about the P712.
It's either take it all or nothing at all.
The fact is that a zoom of that size for an SLR will cost you more than the SLR itself.
I have taken hundreds of pics with the P850 and love it. no complaints from me.
[unless you count thelong time it takes to save burst shots].

romphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 3:24 PM   #8

Greetings,

The issue for me is the ability of the camera to react quickly. I am not sure if this is a key element for your shooting, but the P712 offers a Click to Capture at .07 second when set to wide angle and using preview and a shot to shot of 1.0 second at the same settings. This can be important if you have a moving subject or if you want to quickly move on to the next image.

The 12X zoom is pretty impressive, but unless you are using a tripod for your existing light work, I would not consider that much of a zoom. I doubt that you could successfully hand hold a theater scene at 12X or 10X for that matter. Kodak included a 5X zoom as the CCD was big enough to manage the image later. The 712 would fall into that scenario as well, but the faster features, and the desire of the market added the longer zoom.

Either of these cameras will do you proud. Also, I would ask how often you take pictures at a 10X or 12X extension. I rarely do unless I am in the field or forest with a Tripod.

I also like the fact that you can connect a synch cord to the P880 as well as use the flash shoe. Important features for me.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 5:25 AM   #9

Hi Ron,

Do you know if Kodak will replace the P880 with a similar featured camera in 2007? My only gripes would be lack of EIS and better burst speed.

I really thought I needed a 10x or 12x zoom, but instead I'm always using the wide angle 24mm setting.

Again this is a great product for any hobbyist not looking to spend the $$$ for a DSLR.

lakerstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 5:37 PM   #10

Greetings,

Not sure if there are any cameras like that on deck. I would not be able to talk about them anyway, but Kodak is always working on new and exciting stuff. I like the P880 at the price. I like the speed of the 712, but then I can't really measure the difference in the kind of work I do.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote