Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 19, 2007, 5:56 PM   #1

Just ordered a Z740 (refurb) from Kodak, so I naturally was curious if there was any new battery info on the Internet. Kodak's own website says the Z740 will only take three types of batteries: The NI-Mh, the NI-Mh rechargeable and the new CRV3.

OK, so I went to numerous websites, and found numerous alternatives when it comes to the CRV3 - including chargers and rechargeable CRV3's specifically designed to work with the Z740.

I emailed Kodak's support, and asked how this can be possible (with an explanation, hopefully). Here is their initial response:

"Dick, the recommended battery to use for your camera is the Kodak NI-Mh Rechargeable Battery Pack KAA2HR. Although your camera can work withother types of battery but we still recommend that you use the mentioned battery to avoid future power problems. Please note that CRV3 batteries are not rechargeable, they are just normal disposable Double A batteries."

I went to many more sites and confirmed the compatibility of the CRV3 rechargeable with the Z740 - all positive, and then emailed Kodak back (including asking them to confirm that the CRV3 is nothing more than a normal AA household battery). Here is their last response:

"We fully understand your concern and we agree with your issue. However,we would like to inform you that it is no longer our support to answer the not recommended batteries to use with your Kodak EasyShare Z740 zoomdigital camera."

What's what? What gives? What's correct? There are scores of these rechargeables CRV3's on ebay, for example, and here just one giving this information on a website other than ebay: http://www.global-batteries.com/prod...oducts_id/948.

I'd much rather use the CRV3 rechargeables as long as they won't damage the camera. Any help on this?

Zeico
zeico is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2007, 9:12 PM   #2

Just a quick question? Why would you want to use Rechargeable CRV3's instead of regular Ni Mh Rechargeables?
aeroshep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 9:25 PM   #3

From what I have read, the rechargeable CRV3's have twice the longevity of the rechargeable NI-Mh's. I understand, also, that they retain 90% of their full charge even after a month of no use. I could go for 400 pics per charge (if all this is true)!

I gave in this morning and ordered one to try through eBay - along with the required charger for the Z740 - all for 14 bucks. I'll let you know what happens. I'll be getting the camera by the first of next week.

Zeico
Old Mar 20, 2007, 9:26 PM   #4

Sorry for the double post!
Old Mar 21, 2007, 11:28 AM   #5

Those CRV3 can give a higher voltage than stated. It's the reason that Pentax advice you not to use them. I don't know how much a Kodak can have, but the output can almost be double, my Pentax DL will not funtion at all then, and I do not wanna try it with my Kodak.

Richard.

Ritro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 9:13 PM   #6

Also, the Crv3 that you linked are MUCH lower capacity than current Ni Mh. And with Eneloop or Rayovac hybrids, the self discharge is a thing of the past. Let us know your results.
aeroshep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 1:38 PM   #7

Hi Zeico,

Just got back to the forum and saw your posting.

Actually, the Z740 will accept individual AA batteries with AA NiMH rechargeable type preferred. You will need an individual battery charger with these batteries. You can also use non rechargeable Lithium AA , and Oxy Alkaline. Kodakdoes not, however,recommend that you usealkaline batteries in EasyShare cameras because they may cause unexpected shutdowns and loss of pictures.

The battery you noted is not a Kodak battery so Kodak would not be able to speak to that question. I suspect the representative you talked to confused your reference to a new KLIC 8000 battery that is rechargeable and looks like the CRV3, but is only usable in the Z612 and Z712IS.

The only way to be sure the battery will work is to try it. I suspect it will. But, be sure to buy the charger as the camera and dock combination will not charge the new battery type.

If you do have trouble with the camera after using that battery, the warranty on the camera will not apply. :-(

Talk to you soon, Zeico,

Best Regards,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote