Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 27, 2007, 12:02 AM   #1

My Lexmark Z65 has bit the dust. It was just okay a photo printer, but I like it since it was more of a workhouse for normal print task.

Anyway I need a basic scanner to replace my outdated Plustek (which I can only use with Win 98 since no official drivers for Win XP exist).So I'm thinking long and hard about the Kodak 5300 at Best Buy. Kodak is making a claim that their new printers use less ink and have a lower cost per print (10 cents compare to 25-30 cents the norm).

Besides I figure this should easily work with my Easyshare cameras (P880 and DX4530).

Any thoughts or recommedation of other AIO printers?

lakerstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2007, 2:11 PM   #2

Greetings,

I have used the new printers and find them excellent. And, they do provide prints at a much reduced cost. Kodak is offering packets that include ink and paper. The technology is quite advanced and is why they can offer these prints at a low price. Great for scanning, faxing, copying, as well as printing.

The printers incorporate Kodak's latest technologies that provide very high quality images. You can get a hands on review and sample by visiting a local Best Buy. I love it and the versatility of all the features is a plus. I often use it for my OCR (Optical Character Reader) needs.

Anyway, if you have any particular questions, I will try to help.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 3:22 PM   #3
Administrator

Ronbaird wrote:
Quote:
Anyway, if you have any particular questions, I will try to help.
Yes, these new printers look interesting...

I'm not the one you were responding to. But, I'll ask a question anyway...

Ron:

Does Kodak have any plans to support Linux?

HP tends to be the preferred printer manufacturer for Linux, since HP provides nice drivers and tools (HPLIP Printer toolkit) to check ink levels, align heads, clean nozzles, copy/scan, etc. for Linux.

If Kodak decided to offer good support this operating system, I suspect that you'd see an increase in sales because of it. As Linux matures, it's becoming a more popular choice for desktop use in both corporate and home environments.

I'm running Windows XP Pro and more than one Linux distribution on my PC right now (SimplyMEPIS 6.0 Final, 6.5 Release Candidate 3) and my wife doesn't use Windows at all anymore (even though I've still got Windows on her hard disk in a dual boot config, she prefers to use Linux).

So, from my perspective, for me to buy a new printer or mult-function device, it would need to have good support for Linux users.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 3:46 PM   #4
Administrator

P.S.

I also noticed some posts in the reader comments section of this blog entry from Linux users hoping for Linux support.

http://susantousi.1000nerds.kodak.co...sp?item=473852

So, that may be something to try and push up the ladder (suggesting a more serious look at how much business Kodak could lose to HP versus the R&D costs to support Linux).

Whenever someone asks about a new printer or multi-function type device (scan/print/copy/fax) in most Linux forums, the overwhelming recommendation ends up being HP (because they offer good support for users of Linux).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 5:03 PM   #5

Hi Jim,

Well, as mentioned, not at this time. But Kodak is aware of the many Linux users and has not forgotten them. It is not possible at the moment to provide drivers etc. for Linux, but who knows what might happen in the future.

Thanks for your patience.

Talk to you soon, Jim,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 3:04 AM   #6

Thanks Ron for the input. I actually did buy the 5300 yesterday at Best Buy and so far its seems really cool.

I did print a couple of 4x6 prints and the colors were truly outstanding. The controls are very intuitive. Best of all ink is really reasonable ($21 for both black and the color cartridges...definately a great value). Also it is a snap to print directly from memory cards or thru my camera.

My only issue is that I'munable open the Home AIO Center.Ever since I upgrade to Win XP SP2 awhile ago I've had to disable the WIA service (otherwise my system will hang when Ilaunch Windows Explorer). I did noticed that whenthe Printer/Easyshare software was installed that the WIA service was automatically restarted (howeverI've since disabled it).Can youfind out if theHome AIO Center is truly dependent upon the WIA service running? (BTWthe WIA service is used for cameras and scanners, but I'm able to print without it). However, I can't seem to scan from the printer without it running ( I have to manually start and disable it for scanning).I am able to scan from my computerusing any photo editor or MS Word (with WIA disabled). Also is there a Win 98SEdriver? My machine is dual boot (notthatI really still use Win 98SE) and i just wanted to know if there was going tobe support for it (yes Iknow that Win98 is has long been considereddead ).

Besides my own computer issue, the only other gripe is that the printer is somewhat bulky.

Overall I definately recommend that everyone who's a Kodak fan check out this printer. Again the cost of ink makes this a really compelling buy for anyone that needs a new printer. And of course the quality of photos (while not photo lab) are really quite good.

lakerstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 12:34 AM   #7

Wy does a cartridge of black or colored toner cost more than the same amount of regular gas, domestic champagne or the cheapest "rot-gut" wine that a drunkard can find?

I have discontinued making 4x6 prints at home.

On line print services are cheaper and if I perk up the photos via Photo Elements 4 they come out super 99.9 % of the time.

Kodak is right now charging 10 cents per 4"x6" (limited time). Some charge 9 cents and 12 cents. The low price is not always a sign of low quality (my 9 cents prints are some of the best ones).

Many offer free 4x6 prints to entice you to try them. Kodak will give you 10 free prints. others offer 30 and some offer 50 free 4x6 prints. Many use the Kodak paper which is very nice and some us the Fuji paper which is fantasic.

Investigate Kodak, Snapfish, Shutterfly, Adoramaand PhotoWrks to start.

They will often offer specials on all size prints and other photo products or free freight.

BiLL

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote