Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Apr 5, 2007, 4:04 PM   #1

Hi all,

I just go a Z612, and I've been trying to take really close-up macro pictures. I'm trying to get really close shots of my subjects, but it seems that I am unable to zoom more than 70mm or so--zooming more than this makes everything become blurry.

Are there some settings I can adjust on the camera to fix this? Or will I need to get a macro extension?

The following pictures that I'm posting were taken without a tripod and in an average amount of sunlight. The only changes I have made to them is that I resized them so I can post them here.

EDIT: I was also wondering about another issue I've been having with my camera. Every time I take out the battery to recharge it, and then put it back in, the date resets itself! Is there any way to fix this without getting the dock?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

QDJMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2007, 4:05 PM   #2

And this...
Attached Images

Old Apr 5, 2007, 4:05 PM   #3

And finally...
Attached Images

Old Apr 5, 2007, 5:29 PM   #4

Yes, macro focusing works in telephoto but the minimum focusing distance is futher away than at wide angle. Check your manual for the exact spec. Generally the advantage of zooming in macro mode is to allow you to be further away from the subject to avoid disturbing the subject and/or to get a better angle for the shot.

I think the problem you're encountering in these photos is an inadequate depth of field (DOF). According to your exif data the exposures were taken with the lens aperture wide open for the modest focal lengths you were using. Under these conditions I'd suggest setting the ISO to 160, switching to aperture priority and setting the aperture to f4.5 or so. That will gain you a little more DOF and a little more lens sharpness without introducing much in the way of noise. You should also make a practice of pressing the shutter release half way and checking to see if you get an auto-focus warning. If you do move back just a little and repeat until you don't get the warning.

The built macro capability will frame a somewhat smaller than 2.75" wide. The only thing that can increase this capability are close-up lenses and they will move you much closer to the subject which may not be a good thing if you're shooting bees.

Here's a link to a Z612 image of a 2 3/4" tall ceramic: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...ight=sculpture
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 11:55 AM   #5

Greetings,

Sounds like you are having a lot of fun and enjoying your camera. Close up shots like those you have posted are interesting but can be tricky as the depth of field in such compositions is very small. Please note the following settings.

normal wide: 1.6 ft (0.5 m)–infinity
normal tele: 3.9 ft (1.2 m)–infinity
macro wide: 4.7 in.–2 ft (12–60 cm)
macro tele: 2–4.3 ft (60 cm–1.3 m)

As you will note in these numbers, you really can't get much closer to the subject than 4.7 inches in the wide Macro mode. Remember, as you zoom a lens the optics change and so does the attributes of the lens. The light has to travel at differing distances and is refracted accordingly. It is the same for all lenses that have a zoom feature. Also, the exposure is going to change.

So, if you want to get down into the pistle of a flower, you may want to add accessory lenses to the camera. In the model you have you can choose from two offered by Kodak.

A Lens adapter to accept the 55mm accessories = $29.99

1.4 Telephoto Lens 55mm = $149.95

A Neutral Density Filter (helps you adjust for exposure issues by reducing the amoung of light reaching your sensor) = $24.95

Circular Polarizer (helps to control specular highlights and reflections etc) = $69.95

There are probably others out there but no close up attachments at this point. I would make sure that you are in good focus then manage the image you get as the file should be more than goodenough to let you edit it for the quality you want. For example, if you get a shot with more depth of focus and field, it will be sharper. you can then edit with software for composition. Remember to measure the distances mentioned from the image plane (camera body not the tip of the lens) to the actual subject. I would also use a tripod if you are extending the lens to extremes.

Hope this helps, you can review more about the accessories at the following URL.
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 11:30 PM   #6

Thank you both for the very useful information!
Old Apr 7, 2007, 5:21 PM   #7

QDJMan wrote:
Quote:
EDIT: I was also wondering about another issue I've been having with my camera. Every time I take out the battery to recharge it, and then put it back in, the date resets itself! Is there any way to fix this without getting the dock?

Thanks in advance.
I think both of us failed to answer your second question. The camera will hold the date long enough to swap batteries but not near long enough to charge a battery. My solution is that I have two rechargeables and I swap the charged one to the camera and put the one from the camera on the charger. You can also use the non-rechareable CVR3s to hold the date while you recharge.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 6:26 AM   #8

Thanks - I was beginning to worry that question had been lost and forgotten! ...Looks like I'll be getting another battery (something I'll be needing for trips, anyway).

Thanks again!
Old Apr 8, 2007, 6:32 AM   #9

Speaking of batteries... should I go for another Kodak KLIC-8000 [/b](like the one that came with the camera) or for a different model (and if so, which one)?
Old Apr 8, 2007, 5:15 PM   #10

Both my rechargeables are KLIC-8000s and I also carry two CVR3 as well. The CVR3s have a 10 year shelf life so they're handy t have in an emergency. Elsewhere in this forum (link below) is a source for a non-Kodak replacement at a third the price.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...highlight=8000