Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Apr 12, 2007, 5:50 AM   #1

I've had a v610 for a few months now and was wondering what other owners think of it. Am keen to get the best out of it but the manual is pretty basic and I'm still a bit of a noob when it comes to photographyso if anyone has any tips/links that would be most useful.

I like the size, convenience and Easyshare process but have had inevitable shake issues when using the long zoom. And for the same reasons I also find it almost impossible to use for low light (no-flash) photographs when I bump up the ISO.

Thanks all

Keith

keith_thfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2007, 12:52 PM   #2

Greetings Keith,

You have a great camera. Actually, I have used a number of times and am planning on buying one for myself from the refurbished group on the Kodak site.

Personally, I find that the warning feature is useful in that it tells me what the camera settings are going to be (usually slower and goes to red if too slow). I can then set the camera in manual and adjust the settings.

I also like the Picture enhancing features such as KODAK PERFECT TOUCH Technology, on-camera cropping, and as notedblurry picture alert. You can turn these on and off. ThePERFECT TOUCH Technology lets youenhance your pictures to benice and rich as well as more correctly exposed. The on camera cropping lets you edit the composition you used for a better or tighter result.

One of my favorites is the panorama option. You can take three pictures based on the suggested starting points noted onscreen. At the end the camera will stitch them all together for one larger image. Love it for vacation and group scenes.

As to taking pictures, a solid support is key. An accessory that I bought recently and love, is the Gorilla Tripod. It is a small tripod with a head that you can attach to the camera for fast release for attaching and removal. The legs will wrap around most things so you can get a good shot while zoomed - reduces movement from shake at long zooms.

I suggest you review some of the information on the Kodak site that will help you take better pictures, in fact that is what it is called. After review let us know and I am sure that those here will help you with anything.

http://www.kodak.com/go/takegreatpictures

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 6:23 AM   #3

Thanks for your comments Ron - I'll check out those tips when I get a chance.

Am hoping in the future Kodak might bring out a similar long zoom model to the v610 with some form of Image Stabilisation built in as this has been the major gripe from users/reviewers. With the greatest ofrespect, this is marketed as a small point and shoot pop-into-your-jeans-pocket camera so I don't think many v610 customers will be carrying tripods around with them.

It defeats the purpose of buying a pocket-size high-zoom camera such as this, especially when most (if not all) other long-zoom models from competitors have some kind of IS. The red/green/yellow blur warning icons are useful but I've found they are not always reliable. For the odd one or two shots I've seen a green light for a blurry picture and a red light for one that was sharp.

The on-camera perfect touch feature is cool but something that the Easyshare software does better IMHO, as its easier to review there.

So far I'd say its an decent little camera for good light shooting but if you plan to take night time shots with any kind of zoom then you really must use a tripod. And you really should avoid using the default auto mode where possible because it has a habit of bumping up the ISO to 400, which is noticably noisy.
keith_thfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2007, 3:15 PM   #4

Greetings,

If you are planning on taking pictures, carrying the camera in a small camera bag would allow you to bring along a lot of features. Small bag, mind you, or a belt pouch would do the trick. The Gorilla pod is really small and would easily fit into such pouch etc. Something to consider.

I would be wary of carrying your camera in a Jeans pocket, especially as a man. Jeans pockets are usually located exactly where you bend your legs/waist. A camera bag/pouch would make a lot more sense, even if you only brought a camera.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote