Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Apr 29, 2007, 10:19 AM   #1

I just had an accident with my P850 and the LCD screen shattered. Not sure if it can be fixed, even so, I'm sure it would be costly. Question is should I stay with the 850 or do you feel the Z series would be an upgrade or not. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
jeffa126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2007, 4:12 PM   #2

The official replacement for the P850 is the P712. The Z612/Z712 cameras do not have the hot shoe for the P20 external flash that the P series have. The 12x lens on the P850/712 has a maximum aperture f3.7 at max telephoto compared vs. f4.8 for the Z612/712. The P712/Z612/Z712 all have lower shutter lag than the P850. The Z712 MAY have better high ISO performance than all the others but since it hasn't been reviewed that remains a promise.

Kodak currently has a P850 on their refurb site for $230 so that might be a benchmark for evaluating the cost of repair. My concern would be how much other damage occurred when the LCD was damaged.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 11:11 PM   #3

If it has sentimental value get it bronzed and put it on the mantel...You'll always wonder if it is going to fail...Get the P712 and live happily ever after.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 11:09 AM   #4

And I know where there is one for sale.
See my "Switch" post.

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
If it has sentimental value get it bronzed and put it on the mantel...You'll always wonder if it is going to fail...Get the P712 and live happily ever after.

Dawg
Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007, 11:09 AM   #5

Greetings Jeffa,

Sorry to hear about the accident. Always frustrating.

The service price for that camera is $150 plus shipping/handling (10.95) and tax. So if you liked your camera it would be worth it. If you want I can review the trade in program that Kodak offers. It will let you get a refurb or new camera at an excellent price. Ask me if you are interested.

Talk to you soon, Jeffa,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 7:34 PM   #6

Kodak offer an upgrade service? Please tell me more.

Randy
rasterscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 8:46 AM   #7

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
The Z612/Z712 cameras do not have the hot shoe for the P20 external flash that the P series have.
Thanks for reminding me about this, because I keep forgetting about it when enthusing about my Z712. I don't use flash very often, andthe popup is anuisance when itpops up if I've forgotten to switch it off after using an auto mode.

I still use my trusty Casio QV-5700 from June 2003 occasionally because of its external flash sync socket. Just an arm's length of displacement from the optical axis makes all the difference to the lighting. Presumably serious flash photography on the Z612 & Z712 would need slave flash with the internal one turned down to its least powerful setting, would it?
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 3:14 PM   #8

Greetings,

Personally, I rarely offer good money to fix a bad situation. Unless, I have a need, the cost of getting something fixed is often a better choice. It is true, however, that a repaired camera comes back just like new.

Anyway, since you asked, the Kodak tradein program or now the Service Upgrade featureprovides an alternative to having a product repaired and allows you to upgrade to a newer Kodak digital product. In return for your product, you will receive a fifteen per cent (15%) discount on any of the items listed below, available at the Kodak Online Store. See Terms and Conditions.

The products available through the Service Upgrade Program are as follows:
  • Kodak EasyShare Digital Cameras (New, Refurbished) [/*]
  • Kodak EasyShare G600 Printer Dock (New) [/*]
  • Accessories [/*]
  • Accessory Kits
[/*]
NOTE: When purchasing any of the above products, you can also add any accessories to your order, such as memory cards, extra batteries, carrying cases, etc.

Applicable sales tax, plus shipping and handling, will be added. Sales tax is determined from the state or local tax rate at the address to which the product is shipped. A major credit card is required in order to make a purchase.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 3:32 PM   #9

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
Presumably serious flash photography on the Z612 & Z712 would need slave flash with the internal one turned down to its least powerful setting, would it?
I don't know of any way to adjust the flash output of the Z612 other than by placing opaque material over the flash itself.

I have synced the Z612 with an old Honeywell photo-synced studio strobe. It did sync because the background shadows changed from that of the direct flash. To get predictable results with that setup I think you'd have to have pretty controlled conditions. Some things I can suggest from my one time experiments is to have enough ambient light to prevent the Z612 from doing a pre-flash to aid focusing. Have red-eye prevention shut off as well.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote