Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 2, 2007, 11:15 AM   #1

dear friends and seniors

I hav an option of purchasing either a 2 GB high speed Sandisk SD card ( extreme III - 133x speed ) or the low speed 2 Gb Sandisk for my kodak z612 IS. My question is -- " will there will be any difference to the write speed from the camera to the card if I purchase the Sandisk extreme III card ? " I understand that the high speed card will let me transfer pics to my computer faster ( I am not concerned abt that factor) .
I mean does the z612 hav a fast enough processor that will make any difference to the lag time that is usually there after taking a pic when the camera writes to the card if I use the high speed card ? What is the write speed of this camera ?
More importantly, will using the high speed card have any effect during the continous burst mode ?
I ask these question coz there is a huge difference in the price of the 2 cards here in India and I have my limited allowances.

I guess, that includes everything that confuses me at the moment.

I would like to have your expert opinion to my queries.

With warm regards,
Dr. Abheek Ghosh
abheekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2007, 5:10 PM   #2

Greetings,

I believe that Kodak cameras write at the same speed as always. So, there would be no great advantage to have the high speed card for general picture taking. Fast cards may be an advantage if you are writing movies but that would be it.

Of course, having a fast card is good if you have any other devices that can take advantage of them.

Talk to you soon, let me know if you have other questions.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2007, 1:28 AM   #3

Ronbaird wrote:
Quote:
Greetings,

I believe that Kodak cameras write at the same speed as always. So, there would be no great advantage to have the high speed card for general picture taking. Fast cards may be an advantage if you are writing movies but that would be it.

Of course, having a fast card is good if you have any other devices that can take advantage of them.

Talk to you soon, let me know if you have other questions.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Thank you sir for your advice.
I will then stick to the low speed cards for the time being. I'll surely post more questions if I have any other difficulty in the future.

warm regards,
Dr. Abheek Ghosh
abheekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 12:56 AM   #4

The Z612 has built-in memory buffer. After you take a picture, the camera writes to this internal buffer then, a very, very short time later, writes to the SD card.

A fast card will, therefore, not really make much of a difference on shot-to-shot time, under normal conditions, because it is the write time to the buffer that dictates the lag.

But if you do a lot of burst-mode shooting, then the write speed to the card might become a factor - specially if the card speed is slower than the write speed of the camera to the buffer.

Gary
bayani is offline   Reply With Quote