Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 2, 2007, 11:30 AM   #1

Dear Friends and seniors

I have been using my z612 for the last 1 1/2 months and I feel that I have a need for more zoom power to reach those far away birds which are presently beyond the reach of the lens of the z612.

I did an online research about the various teleconverters available today in the market for my camera and I think that the list below is all that is there to teleconverters for the z612

Raynox DCR-2020PRO 2.2x (available second hand for $100)
Raynox 1.5x (available second hand for $100)
Olympus TCON-17 not available
Olympus TCON-14B (available new for $80)
Nikon TC-E15ED 1.5x not available
Sony VCL-HGD1758 not available
KODAK 1.4x not available

***not available in India***

While it a matter of common sense that I should be going for the kodak 1.4x teleconverter (which matches the optics of my camera) and should give the best results , however I am very confused about making this purchase.

The primary reason being my location (India) where it is very difficult to obtain teleconverters for non -SLR cameras . Second reason being my budget ( max $ 100) ; and third reason being my requirement for maximum zoom .

I have several queries to ask of you .

1] Are there any other teleconverters that should be there on my list ?

2] If given a choice between a Raynox DCR-2020PRO 2.2x and a Raynox 1.5x which one should I go for that will give me best results with my z612 ?

3] If given a choice between a Raynox ( 2.2x or 1.5x) and an Olympus TCON-17 which one should I go for ?

4] What is the difference, between the Olympus TCON-17 and Olympus TCON-14B and which one is better for the z612 ?

5] How is the performance of the z612 with these teleconverters ?

6] Can I stack two teleconverters together (for eg : the raynox 2.2x with the olympus 1.7x ) and what combinations of stacked teleconverters with a z612 give the best results ? Does anyone have example shots taken with such combos ?

7] Where in the United States or in any other country can I buy good second hand teleconverters for my camera ?

8] Although I don't think that I should be mentioning it here, but nevertheless, does anyone have a good teleconverter for sale for my camera ???

9] Has someone tried using the z612 or a similar high zoom camera for digiscoping with a spotting scope ; or afocal photpgraphy with a telescope and what are the results ?

I guess, that includes everything that confuses me at the moment.

I would like to have your expert opinion to my queries.

With warm regards,
Dr. Abheek Ghosh
abheekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2007, 11:32 PM   #2

This my not be the place for this but I want to get rid of my t-con. I had a kodak Z7590 with mine (enjoyed the heck out of it). I sold it and got a Nikon dslr but theguy I sold it to did not want the extra stuff. I am currently not able to use it on the lens that I have for my Nikon but I was damm sure looking into it.
Bursie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 1:32 PM   #3

Re #6. I doubt stacking two tele aux. lenses would produce acceptable results. That would be putting another 8-10 lens elements in front of what's already a complex lens. The additional lens/adapter may also cause vignetting.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The additional weight of two aux. lenses may need to be separately supported to avoid excessive strain on Z612.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Re #9. I think there are some within this forum that have done some digiscoping with Kodak cameras but you might have to go back a year to find it. There is also general digiscoping forum within Steve's forums, link below.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...orum.php?id=68

A. C.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2007, 1:35 AM   #4

Bursie wrote:
Quote:
This my not be the place for this but I want to get rid of my t-con.*
I may be interested in what you have. which telecon do you have ?

dr.abheek(@)gmail.com
Old May 5, 2007, 2:39 AM   #5

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
Re #6.* I doubt stacking two tele aux. lenses would produce acceptable results.* That would be putting another 8-10 lens elements in front of what's already a complex lens.* The additional lens/adapter may also cause vignetting.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The additional weight of two aux. lenses may need to be separately supported to avoid excessive strain on Z612.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Re #9.* I think there are some within this forum that have done some digiscoping with Kodak cameras but you might have to go back a year to find it.* There is also general digiscoping forum within Steve's forums, link below.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...orum.php?id=68

A. C.

Thanks for the lead on the digiscoping issue Mr. Smith . I guess your take on unacceptable results using stacked teleconverters is very true. Nonetheless, I want to look at some examples . I came across this http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam...ng-Lenses.html which uses a different camera with stacked teleconverters; but there isn't any good usable example shot using the combination here.
Old May 5, 2007, 8:27 AM   #6

abheekg wrote:
Quote:
Bursie wrote:
Quote:
This my not be the place for this but I want to get rid of my t-con.
I may be interested in what you have. which telecon do you have ?

dr.abheek(@)gmail.com
Olympus TCON-17
Bursie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 9:48 PM   #7

Bursie wrote:
Quote:
This my not be the place for this but I want to get rid of my t-con. I had a kodak Z7590 with mine (enjoyed the heck out of it). I sold it and got a Nikon dslr but theguy I sold it to did not want the extra stuff. I am currently not able to use it on the lens that I have for my Nikon but I was damm sure looking into it.
I bought a Pentax K10D that is capable of using any lens ever made for a Pentax camera ,,,Even the old screw type and T-mount lenses...I have a vivitar K-mount lens that has a 55mm lens opening and I use the TCON-17 on it all the time..Works great. I have used a 3X a 2X and the Tcon stacked with this lens...The quality does dimenish for every lens you add. But on a cheap budget it really allows you to reach out there. Oh yeah ...it is a 80-200mm lens ...do the math and tell me what focal length (35mm equivalent) I have with it! The Pentax camera itself has a 1.5 crop factor.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote