Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 5, 2007, 7:24 PM   #1

I am overall a little dissatisfied with the P712 in an indoor environment like a party in someones home, or in an office building, auditorium, ect.

Any suggestions on "pre" settings for the camera to get maximum picture quality within the limits of this camera.

Perhaps I should shoot in Program mode or manual and use larger aperature opening or higher ISO setting.

Anxious to hear.

I compared some indoor shots today with a friend who just got the Sony DCS H9, both camera's set on auto, and shot as close as posible to the same subject.

The Sony is light years better in overall color and picture quality.
Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2007, 5:26 PM   #2

Greetings,

Sorry to hear that you are not pleased with the new P712. It is one of the best we have out there. Can you share an image or two that shows the condition in question. Once we see it I am sure we can offer suggestions and see what the reason for the disappointment may be.

Personall, attaching a P20 flash gives me great party power, and the flash and lens talk to each other so you know what zoom and setting is being used. The combinations will make sure you get all that you want in your images, if lighting is an issue.

Anyway, after review of some images I am sure we can help.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 7:30 PM   #3

Thanks for the response Ron,
I will attach a few from my Grandaughters first communion.
Attached Images

Old May 7, 2007, 7:30 PM   #4

Another
Attached Images

Old May 7, 2007, 7:32 PM   #5

One more
Attached Images

Old May 8, 2007, 10:11 AM   #6

I think some of what your encountering relates to (so I've read) an assumption Kodak make differentiating Z series users vs. P series users. You P series user are much more dedicated users than us Z users and therefore use less aggressive image processing than used on the Z series including the default sharpness setting.

I downloaded one of your photos and applied the IrfanView default sharpness filter (20). It seems to increase the apparent sharpness without introducing any visible artifacts. I've uploaded the results below. If you don't want to post process (P-P) go into your setup menu and boost the the sharpness setting a notch higher than the default and see if the results are more to your liking.

Examining the sharpened results it looks like the exposure is good and the focusing seems correct to my eye.

Note: Most DSLRs use less aggressive settings for jpegs than most P & S cameras assuming that DSLR users will P-P everything and RAW, of course, does almost no processing.
Attached Images

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 11:03 AM   #7

Thanks for the input and coments ac. In going thru the menu on the P712, I don't see a feature to adjust the sharpness.
I am not familiar with "infanview" Is this a software package for photo editing?

Again thanks and thanks for reposting the photo.

Foss

Old May 8, 2007, 1:19 PM   #8

Page 51 has the basic instructions. If I'm interpreting the instructions correctly you can only change and use the high sharpness setting while in one of the PASM modes. I'd think for ordinary shooting you'd set the camera on P rather than Auto and in that mode change Sharpness to high. Maybe Ron will jump in if I'm wrong.

IrfanView is a well thought of and versatile freeware image viewer/editor. It is relatively easy to learn and is available from many sites. I usually download from PCWorld's Downloads section. Sorry I can't provide a link while on this network but you should be able to Google it and find a trustworthy download site.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 1:51 PM   #9

Thanks again. I found and downloaded InfanView.
Will explore the "P' setting on the camera (I am still new to this) and explore a bit, then have a look at Infanview.
Old May 9, 2007, 10:52 AM   #10

Greetings AC/Fossil,

Get to the sharpnessscreen by setting the camera to any of the P-A-S-M and pressing the Menu button. On the screen you will see an option for Sharpness. You can set the camera to High, Normal, or Low.

In your case, I agree with AC that Irfanview is a great tool to review images and gather image header information. Knowing how you had set the camera may make a difference as well.

http://www.irfanview.com

I also think that the images in question have good lighting and that though they may be improved using software or firmware settings, making a good decision based on the scene content for metering, i.e.multi-pattern, center-weighted, center spot, selectable zone (25 zones).

Also, consider using the compensation feature that will give you ±2.0 EV with 1/3 EV steps.

Also, how are you viewing the images. If in Irfanview or in EasyShare, you should be able to review and manage easily. Let us know the details of the images.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote