Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 7, 2007, 1:03 PM   #1

Hi forum! I love this website, I have used advice from it to buy my last 3 cameras.

My problem is that I just bought the kodak v570 and there are only 2 things that I can see that annoy me.

First, the time it takes to preview a photo you just took, before the preview goes away and you are ready to shoot again, is WAYYY longer than my sony was. Any way to shorten that?

Second, I have taken lots of video, and as i'm watching it in quicktime, the audio track and the video get out of sync. my daughter's mouth moves but the words i hear are behind by a second. is this due to the camera or the computer? if this is not fixable then this is a huge problem that would cause me to return the camera. but i didn't read about any such problem on Steve's review, and I would think he would have mentioned that.

Any suggestions?

Thanks....Steph
Snapaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2007, 2:00 PM   #2

Snapaholic wrote:
Quote:
First, the time it takes to preview a photo you just took, before the preview goes away and you are ready to shoot again, is WAYYY longer than my sony was. Any way to shorten that?

Any suggestions?

Thanks....Steph
The review of the just taken photo is called Quick View in Kodak speak. On the Z612 it can be switched off in the setup menu (which I have done.) I can't find any instructions forturning it off in the V570 manual. You might try putting the question directly to Kodak on their web site.

Reading Steve's review it seems that it can be shut off or he couldn't have recorded the shot to shot times he did.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 4:59 PM   #3

Greetings Steph,

Sorry to hear about your dilemma with your new camera.

Actually, the screen display normally displaysafter you take a picture or video. The LCD displays a quickview for approximately 5 seconds. The picture/video is saved unless you press the Delete button.

Later you can use the Review button to review the images or movies you have taken and display them. Remember, you can take a picture anytime and you do not have to wait until the screen returns to normal to continue. Simply depress the shutter partway and the camera will return to normal picture taking.

The camera will display your movies normally. Check themovie feature. If you see that the synchronization is off in your computer, it may due to the processing capability of your system, what are its attributes. Also, do you have the latest version of Quicktime. In my testing any of the three movie options are always in synch in the camera.

Good luck and let us know if you have other questions.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 5:14 PM   #4

I am not a Kodak camera user but I've seen many people asking the same question about the audio and video out of sync on different brands of cameras.

From what I understand, sometime this is the problem of the camera and sometime the problem of the computer.

The computer fix is relatively easy - I notice you use Quicktime to watch the movie from the digital camera (a software probably bundled with the camera). Quicktime is known to use a lot of computer resources ("computing power" - processor speed, RAM, video card etc.) and may not work well on older slower computers. This usually gives rise to the problem of videos not playing smoothly, and I am not sure if it may also give rise to the A/V desynchronization. You can try other freeware media players that can play Quicktime video format from digital cameras, such as VLC player from videolan:

http://www.videolan.org/

This media player is less resource-intensive and works better on slower computers.

If this does not correct the problem, then it is a fault with the way the camera makes the video. I look through the Kodak site and notice there is a firmware upgrade on the V570 - however, the description only mentions that this firmware "improves exposure compensation", so this firmware upgrade probably won't correct your problem. There is another way to correct this desynchronization, but it is a bit more time consuming. This freeware called MP4CAM2AVI can make such correction:

http://mp4cam2avi.sourceforge.net/

Look on the left menu under "User manual" -> "Right pane" -> scroll down to find "Advance options" and read about "audio track delay. ms".

The corrected video will be converted to XVID(/DIVX) format (with file extension AVI). The Quicktime player cannot play this format alone (ie. without installing the codec), but the VLC player has internal support to XVID/DIVX video. If you intend to do video editing (I don't know what type of editing software, if any, comes with Kodak cameras), you may want to install the XVID codec, just in case the software does not support XVID:

http://www.koepi.org/xvid.shtml

Hope this helps.

BS

blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 1:01 AM   #5

well the prob is that the non syncronization is happening on a brand spaking new laptop. shouldn't be happening. man i hope this is fixable beceause if not that is major. how can they let a camera out that has this problem?

can i try opening the qt file with wmp or realplayer?

steph
Old May 8, 2007, 10:18 AM   #6

I may be off-base here but "brand-new" raises a question for me. Is the notebook running Vista or XP? How much RAM does it have?
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007, 11:14 AM   #7

Greetings,

I suggest downloading and synching up the file with the latest version of Quicktime. Kodak uses .mov files as they are readily available everywhere for free.

What are the attributes of your new laptop? Did you install EasyShare software on the laptop? Do you have QT on the laptop. Knowing this will help.

The V570 should do well for you, it is one of my favorite cameras. Let us know more of the details.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 1:54 PM   #8

thanks i will make sure i installed.

i am also in a quandry because i like to use windows movie maker to downslize my little videos for the internet, but now wmm won't work with mov files. any advice as to how to quickly turn my mov files into something movie maker can use? without purchasing costly software?

steph
Old May 30, 2007, 3:03 AM   #9

WMP won't open *.MOV files, Quicktime will.

If this is a camera problem, MP4Cam2AVI should solve itas it was mentioned above.

Konica-Minolta A200 users reported me about the audio/video lag in source clips, then I added the 'audio track delay' param, and they told the problem was solved with parameter value = -320 ms. Itworks both with joining mode and batch conversion.

So, if AVI is suitable as the target format (it's more PC-compatible), the easiest way is MP4Cam2AVI. If you want *.mov at the output, the only way is QuickTime.
graywolf2004 is offline   Reply With Quote