Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 12, 2007, 1:40 PM   #1

Hi all.
My non rechargable kodak battery finally died and was wondering if I could use plain old duracells in the cam till I can afford to buy the proper batteries for it...
Thanks for any help offered.
Tim
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2007, 5:43 PM   #2

Page 57 of the manual says no, only Li and rechargeable Ni-MH. Beyond that it's been hintedin this forumthe use of alkyline AAs may cause camera freeze up and corrupted files on the camera/card.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 11:29 AM   #3

Thanks for the response and yes do not use duracells...lol..poor performance is a certainty...I found some oly rechargables that work just great forthis cam. Thanks again. Page 57 ?? dont have a page 57...lol.
I was very disappointed in the packaging of my 710 as the manual was very poor and did not get a rechargable battery pack and charger, I'm really thinking of getting out of Kodak asap because of this because imo when a company does this, in my eyes it means they are starting not to care about the customers ! Nikon or a Rebel for me real soon.
My last camera (dx7590) came loaded but not this one..
Tim
Old May 14, 2007, 5:00 PM   #4

Greetings Wagaboo,

Sorry to hear about your trouble.

I am not sure of the reasons, but I suspect that they included a lithium battery with your camera so you could use the camera and continue to use it from the point of purchase. That battery should give you around 500 shots, depending on how you handle the camera. Once it is depleted you could use a charger and NiMH batteries. They are great for continuing work.

There are 2300 mAH batteries out there that should last a good long time.

I am pretty sure the reason they did not include a charger but rather offered a Lithium battery was to get the camera into the market at the best possible price point. They left it up to the owner to get an accessory charger or dock. It was also believed that a good many people would consider this camera for its features and also, that they could use it with an existing setup.

The camera is excellent and should do well for you. I also assure you that we do care about you, very much in fact.

Let me know if you think I can help further.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 8:14 PM   #5

Wagaboo,

I really wonder about the source for your camera. The reason I can quote the manuals for Z612, Z710, Z740, P850, P712, and P880 is that I've downloaded them from Kodak. I have copies on both my daytime and my nighttime computers. Here is the manual I was quoting from.

http://www.kodak.com/global/plugins/...710_GLB_en.pdf

This is the Getting Started book you have:

http://www.kodak.com/global/plugins/...GSG_GLB_en.pdf

So far every question I've answered for you has come from the first manual.

In general in the P&S market, regardless of the manufacturer, rechargeable batteries will not be included if the camera will take non-rechargeables, only including a rechargeable if no non-rechargeable will fit. If I've read Steve's reviews correctly your not going to get rechargeables with Nikon or Canon either unless they use a proprietary battery only.

By the same token a memory card will not be included if the camera has internal memory.

While you will probably want to use the rechargeable most to the time getting a CVR3 as a backup is not a bad idea. They have a really long self (10 years) so they can cover you in an emergency when both sets of rechargeable are down.

Old May 14, 2007, 11:34 PM   #6

Thanks Ron and AC, I guess after having the DX-7590 and very happy with the packaging content and then going to the 710 without, imo, a reasonable package I was kinda disappointed but don't get me wrong as I do LOVE this cam and after all they did throw in a 512 card
PS::.. Ron, I sure am happy that a KE rep is here and thanks again
Tim
Old May 16, 2007, 2:59 PM   #7

Greetings Wag,

Glad to help and will in the future if you need me.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Old May 30, 2007, 7:21 AM   #8

Ronbaird wrote:
Quote:
...........I suspect that they included a lithium battery with your camera so you could use the camera and continue to use it from the point of purchase. That battery should give you around 500 shots, depending on how you handle the camera. Once it is depleted you could use a charger and NiMH batteries. .........There are 2300 mAH batteries out there that should last a good long time..........the reason they did not include a charger but rather offered a Lithium battery was to get the camera into the market at the best possible price point. They left it up to the owner to get an accessory charger or dock. It was also believed that a good many people would consider this camera for its features and also, that they could use it with an existing setup.
Everything Ron say is correct. However,to the surprise of both myself & my excellent (UK) local camera shop, other superficially similar cameras with identical battery compartments, including the Z612 and the wonderful Z712is I purchased 2 weeks ago, DO NOT work satisfactorily with Ni-MH batteries, and give a very short life of 10-20 shots even with high-capacity cells.

This is stated quite clearly in the manuals, but both I and the camera shopmanager, who tests all their new camera models thoroughly in the field, made mistaken assumptions. Annoyingly, the predecessor model (Z612) came with a rechargeable Li-ion battery and a charger. My Z712is came with only a throwaway disposable lithium battery, so the real headline price is misleadingly low. Anyone serious will need to buy a Li-ion rechargeable and a charger as well.

This niggle is a shame, as I am delighted with the camera, and the image stabilisation, for which I have waited for years, in a fully-featured camera for this price is wonderful. I have already taken many hand-held shots when walking in the dusk, which could not otherwise have been achieved without lugging a hefty tripod.

Alan T

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 9:36 AM   #9

My Z612 came with only a CVR3 battery but I ordered a charger/battery and a spare LiIon rechargeable at the same time. This seems to be market practice across the board. If the camera will use a non-rechargeable battery that's what's furnish in the retail box. There is no non-rechargeable battery that will fit the Olympus Stylus series camera so they do furnish a rechargeable LiIon and charger.
Old May 30, 2007, 3:59 PM   #10

Greetings Wagaboo,

I can appreciate the frustration.

Battery life is one of the biggest learning curves for new digital camera users as well as old. Truth is, digital cameras use power at a much faster rate and require more from the batteries than other battery-powered devices. Depending on the features you use on your camera, the batteries can be drained very quickly. A good example of a high-drain function would be the LCD screen; if it is used extensively for composition and viewing, it will consume more power than any other camera function.

If you want batteries that can run the camera for long periods of time, thenconsider lithium batteries (made to use in a digital camera) and packaged with your camera model. But, you can userechargeable batteries. In Kodak lab tests, Ni-MH rechargeable batteries delivered the best results in a variety of conditions. They are designed for high-demand devices like digital cameras and do not exhibit the "memory" effects seen with other rechargeable technologies. Although they tend to be more expensive than non-rechargeable batteries, they quickly return their cost in terms of use.

One important note about batteries is how they may react if new or not charged for a long time. They may get like honey that is not stored well. It gets hard but upon heating and prepartion, it goes back to its sweet prestate. With batteries some of the components can react this way. But upon charging a few times they go back to normal.

If you only got a few shots out of a fully charged NiMH battery, recharge it again and again over a couple of days. I think you will find it will yield a great many more pictures.

Kodak offers NiMH batteries and chargers for your camera.

Talk to you soon, letme know your thoughts.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company