Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 16, 2007, 12:38 PM   #1

I needs to record some videos and to take some pictures. I need to be able to submit them to a magistrate as evidence in a landlord tenant case. Howdo I get started with this camera andwhat considerations should I be aware of? All I have is what came in the box. Thank you.

John
lenfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2007, 12:59 PM   #2

Well first off I would want to make sure that I have a memory card thats large enough for the video and the pictures and I'm thinking that a 1 gig card should do just fine for both and if I can remember correctly you can not zoom while using the video recording if its inside make sure the rooms are well lit and try not to make your movements to abrupt and you can narrate at the same time and also make sure you use it in auto mode for the pictures using a flash if inside.
Afterwards you can then upload the video and pictures to your computer and burn to cd if you like.
Hope this helps you a bit.
Tim
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2007, 3:05 PM   #3

Greetings,

The camera should be able to do what you want. Since it is for a legal issue, I suggest that you make sure you get good exposures. Use the over and under options and stay within the flash range if flash is needed. Otherwise read the manual and become familiar with the features.

If you are not a photographer brush up on aperture, shutter, and ISO so you can use these settings to their potential. Take a lot of pictures in situations that you think willsimilar tothe scenario you will need to photograph. It is free so shoot allyou want till you get agood control of the camera.

Post some shots here and maybe we can help.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2007, 3:47 PM   #4

The Z612 will zoom while taking a video but you'll momentarily lose focus during the actual zoom.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 12:06 AM   #5

Ok, I'll try to have some stuff up by FRIDAY. Sorry, but I have to meet my lawyer tomorrow, go to the doctor, and go to work. I basically just need a shot of a return to the heating system, as well as a shot that shows the smudges on my box spring. We'll talk.

John
Old May 17, 2007, 11:20 AM   #6

Hi everyone. I guess I havethree questions for starters. (1) How do you review a video. The manual says to (1) Press Review, (2) <> for previous/next. Videos: OK Play/pause. I don't even know how to make sense of that.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"My second question concerns how one is to get the flash compartment to close. It pops up when you turn on the camera and it never goes back down.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Final question is what kind of memory card should I get?

Thank you for your suggestions

John
Old May 17, 2007, 11:39 AM   #7

OK, scratch the question about how to capture a video. My question now concerns how to shut the flash lid. I also would like to know what kind of memorycard I should get.

Edit: I forgot to ask: I do I get the pictures I've taken developed? Can I Ido it at CVS's photo center or whatever you call it. Is there some kind of card I take them? Or do I save the image to a flash drive and download it there?
Old May 17, 2007, 2:38 PM   #8

I'd just get a 1 GB SD card from any reputable dealer and manufacturer. Kodak, Sandisk, Lexar and PNY are reputable manufacturers. The reason I mention reputable dealer is that there are "fake" cards around. As long as the card is from a reputable manufacturer the Z612 is non-fussy and there is no need to buy the high performance cards.

The file/folder structure is drive\DCIM\100Z612\picturefiles.jpg. If the particular kiosk you're using cannot drill down through the folder structure you can simply put the card in a card reader in or attached to a computer and either temporarily move the files to the root level of the card or to a USB flash drive. I prefer to deal directly with the memory card rather than dowloading by attaching the camera to the computer.

I use the Kodak kiosks at Wal Mart (seem to give better results than the Fuji machines also at Wal Mart) but it can be done at CVS or Walgreen's as well.
Old May 18, 2007, 1:38 AM   #9

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
I'd just get a 1 GB SD card from any reputable dealer and manufacturer. Kodak, Sandisk, Lexar and PNY are reputable manufacturers. The reason I mention reputable dealer is that there are "fake" cards around. As long as the card is from a reputable manufacturer the Z612 is non-fussy and there is no need to buy the high performance cards.

The file/folder structure is driveDCIM100Z612picturefiles.jpg. If the particular kiosk you're using cannot drill down through the folder structure you can simply put the card in a card reader in or attached to a computer and either temporarily move the files to the root level of the card or to a USB flash drive. I prefer to deal directly with the memory card rather than dowloading by attaching the camera to the computer.

I use the Kodak kiosks at Wal Mart (seem to give better results than the Fuji machines also at Wal Mart) but it can be done at CVS or Walgreen's as well.
Hi.

OK, I'll get a card made by one of those manufacturers.

I don't entirely understand paragraph 2. What I can pull out of it is that I can put my memory card into a kiosk at WalMart or at the drug store. What else am I missing? They can't do it behind the counter?

New question: How do I turn the video I've recorded with this camera to a DVD so that someone with a DVD player can view it?
Old May 18, 2007, 12:30 PM   #10

lenfini wrote:
Quote:
I don't entirely understand paragraph 2. What I can pull out of it is that I can put my memory card into a kiosk at WalMart or at the drug store. What else am I missing? They can't do it behind the counter?

New question: How do I turn the video I've recorded with this camera to a DVD so that someone with a DVD player can view it?
Re. Para 2: At CVS or Walgreen's you can hand the card over but that doesn't really match Wal Mart's workflow although they will assist at the machines. In any case you can generally have prints in 30 min. or less depending on the type of machine and workflow.

Re. New question: Most current computer have software installed to do that if the computer was equipped with a DVD burner drive. Windows Media Player and Real Player also have the capability. The key, of course is what kind of drive does the computer have. Those services are also probably available commercially as well. I'd check the phone book for businesses that convert VCR to DVD as they will have the software/hardware to do your job as well or to create a slide show from your still images that will play on a DVD player.