Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 22, 2007, 10:52 AM   #1

I bought a Z12 at staples and i noticed a real faint noise coming from the camera
like a motor running and a little growling sound every minute or so it's a real low sound but I can hear it and I'm a tad hard of hearing. So I took it back and they gave me another one. And its doing the same thing. Do all the Z612 do this? Ypur imput please. Maybe i got 2 faulty ones It take good pictures. If this is normal I'll keep it.
Thanks
Doug

http://picasaweb.google.com/quackagator/KodakZ612
quackagator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2007, 12:07 PM   #2

Doug, I think you're hearing the autofocus if you have it set to continuous af...go in the menu and change to single autofocus and see if that stops the noise

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 12:40 PM   #3

dan279 wrote:
Quote:
Doug, I think you're hearing the autofocus if you have it set to continuous af...go in the menu and change to single autofocus and see if that stops the noise

Dan

Ok I tried that and that quited down a lot I can still hear it but a lot less noticeable.
Might still take it back
Old May 22, 2007, 1:09 PM   #4

You may also be hearing the the IS which is also a servo motor. Bluntly, any camera that has AF and OIS is going to make some noise as those functions operate. I don't really think you have observed a defect.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 1:59 PM   #5

I have a fuji and that dosn't make any noise but I just relized it dosn't have IS eather

Old May 24, 2007, 11:49 AM   #6

I bought a very similar Z712is a week ago, and I'm delighted with it, apart from minor niggles.

To preserve battery life, if you're using it as a still camera and not messing with movies, set both autofocus and image stabilisation to "single", and that will shutup the noisymotors.

I find the electronic viewfinder excellent, and it has, at a stroke, fixed my problem of being unable to read camera settings & menus, and compose pictures properly, on the monitor, in many perfectly ordinary lighting conditions. Millions of photos must be taken on digicams in brightly lit places with the intended subject missing from the frame, or visually beheaded, while the photographer gazed at a beuatiful picture of himself, reflected from the surface of the too-dim monitor!

Therefore, to preserve battery life still further, turn off the monitor as well, and use the electronic viewfinder.

The Z712is image stabiliser has fixed my problem of being unable to hold the camera still enough when held to my eye. On y last tiny camera (Casio EX-Z750) I could hold it still when braced using its neck strap, but then I often couldn't see properly where I was pointing, or what the settings were.

Have fun,

Alan T
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote