Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 30, 2007, 7:34 AM   #1

I've posted a reply in "Z710 battery question" that is more relevant to the newer models such as the Z612 & Z712is. See my message in...

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=18

The image stabilisation is fantastic, and the camera handles beautifully.

The only other bad point I can find so far (in 2 weeks) is that I keep pressing the silly red 'EasyShare' button with my right palm, when about to shoot. This brings up a menu in the viewfinder. Pressing the button again removes it, but throws you into 'preview' mode, so you have press the 'preview' button again as well, by which time your shot has disappeared.

I could do without the whole 'Easyshare' business very happily. I feel it's a bit of consumerist marketing, which has no place on an excellent device, which can reproduce anything I could every have done with with my 35mm SLR kit (except external flash sync).

Alan T
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2007, 9:50 AM   #2

I have not had the Easy Share button get in my way on my Z612 but then I may have smaller hands and I don't grip strongly with my right hand since the majority of the camera weight is supported by my left hand.

I would like to see some high ISO shots (400, 800, 1600) from your camera when you get a chance.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 3:39 PM   #3

Greetings,

Sorry to hear about the issue with the Share button.

Actually, the feature is an advantage to you as you can tag for whatever you like, i.e. favorite, email, or print. In review of the camera, I noted that it is to the right of the bottom of the camera, so depending on how you hold the camera it may activate. Does this happen when you press the shutter release? If so, you may be holding the camera too tightly during that action. Slightly adjusting how you hold the camera will eliminate it in the future.

Talk to you soon, let me know how you make out.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2007, 2:23 AM   #4

Ronbaird wrote:
Quote:
.......issue with the Share button......you may be holding the camera too tightly during that action. .....
You can see how I hold the camera in my avatar alongside - that's a different camera, similar in shape & size, but without the front-pointing bulge at the right of the camera. It feels completely natural, stable, and comfortable.

With my right first fingertip on the shutter button, my right thumb on the thumbwheel for adjusting settings when looking into the viewfinder, and my other fingers curled round the battery compartment bulge, the base of my right thumb rests on the red 'share' button, and is likely to press it, unless I make a conscious effortnot to. I have quite ordinarily-sized hands, and am quite dextrous (play the violin).

To move my thumb away from the button, I have to move my right elbow out from my body, where it seems natural to brace it (elbow slightly in). It's natural to cup my palm slightly under the right-hand side of the camera to support it, and that support is lost as soon the elbow moves out.

Almost anywhere else on the camera body would be a better placefor the button, as I see it was on some similar models, but removing it and adding the function as a menu item would be even better.

Anyway, I'll learn to live it with it. I have a few solutions in mind.

Alan T
Old Jun 3, 2007, 2:51 AM   #5

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
........I would like to see some high ISO shots (400, 800, 1600) from your camera when you get a chance.

I'll take a look, but I haven't tried it yet. On all my previous cameras higher ISO than 100 has been noticeably noisy (grainy), so I've only used it in extremity. My need for it is much removed by the wonderful image stabiliser. I've taken many shots with it at already that I could never have hand-held with any previous camera I've owned (in the last 48 years). Part of the reason for a lovely small camera like this is to avoid lugging a tripod.

Of course action shots will demand higher ISO.When I produce a sample I'll try & post it. I'd expect it to be very similar to Steve's Digicam's Review of the Z612...

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...2_samples.html,

...but maybe a bit worse because of the 7mpix sensor. However, I only use the full 7mpix if I intend to crop, or am seeking very highest quality at the time.

Good luck,

Alan T

Old Jun 4, 2007, 2:18 PM   #6

I hold my cam differently. I try to place the palm of my left hand under the camera with my thumb and index finger holding the fixed portion of the lens barrel. While shooting rapidly at an airshow I did find my right thumb hitting the thumbwheel. I noticed that the area below the thumbwheel is smooth and curved to match the thumb. I then practiced making sure, by feel, that my thumb was in the right place as I was bringing the camera into shooting position.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote