Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jun 7, 2007, 9:48 PM   #11

Thaks ll again

Since my June 4 reply none of the follwing thread contributions have shown up as in coming mail :?

My favorites do not come up as usual. Instead they show up as searches via Yahoo:?

Most of the sites I log into are not retaining my log in info.:?

Still not sure which to use to just pass over the image to see exposure data.:?

Been busy to the hilt! Looking into selling my house which I must keep till Jan. 8, 2008 despite that I put a down payment on a verynice coop that may be ready Sept. 2007. Don't know wha to do with 2 apartments of furniture and still short about $70k to pay for the coop.

I think I know what www.miketheheadlesschicken.org feels like.

BiLL

:|

bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 11:00 PM   #12
Administrator

bill2468 wrote:
Quote:
Since my June 4 reply none of the follwing thread contributions have shown up as in coming mail :?
We do have some forums issues remaning after moving them to new servers.

So, that may be part of the problem. But, I'd check your Preferences to make sure you've got e-mail notifications turned on. If they are on, your ISP could be filtering them for some reason (the originating address is showing up differently now). Here's a direct link to edit your Preferences here:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo..._preferences=1

Quote:
My favorites do not come up as usual. Instead they show up as searches via Yahoo:?
That doesn't sound like fun. I'd run some basic checks for spyware. Here are some links to get to couple of products I'd suggest to start with:

Spybot S&D

Adaware PE

I'd scan the drive with well known virus protection products, too. One product you can try is the free edition of AVG:

Download Links to AVG Free

But, if it's a real good browser hijacker, these products may not be able to detect it, especially if you're booting into an infected operating system, versus scanning the drive from a known clean OS. Anytime I see a browser redirecting me to something other than where I want to go, a red flag goes up pretty fast (that's often a sign that you're infected with malware).

Quote:
Most of the sites I log into are not retaining my log in info.:?
Try clearing your brower's cache and cookies to see if that solves it for future use. But, I would probably lean towards not logging into any sites with sensitive info or with the same password I use for banking, etc., until I was reasonably sure that something wasn't sending my keystrokes to somewhere I didn't want them to go. ;-)

Personally, I use Linux most of the time when online to try and minimize the kinds of risks you face using Windows (since it's a pretty big target for viruses, spyware, etc.). If I must browse from within Windows, I usually go with Firefox. I only use Internet Explorer as a last resort (only if spoofing the browser idenfication to IE in Firefox doesn't solve any issues with a site that requires IE).

Of course, the only way to be reasonably safe is to stay disconnected from the internet and keep your PC physically secure. lol

You could just have some corrupted files associated with your browser. But, your description of the issues would make me nervous if I saw it happening to me (favorites going to yahoo searches, etc.). I've seen too many infected PCs to take those kinds of symptoms lightly.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 7:13 AM   #13

Hello JimC and all the other life lines on this forum thread

I downloaded AVG and Spybot. AVG found nothing (I currently have AVAST which does auto updates , should I drop one :?

Spybot found about 10 cookies and 2 (the cube with the defragmenting corner). dumped them all.

Each time I turn on and go on line I get a meesage with 2 options. The definations as follows (the bottom half of the 2 options never show so not sure on what prob;em or options)

Spybot - Search & Destroy has detected a change to Internet Explorer start or search page setting.

Definition
Spybot-S&D Resident watches all known Internet Explorer start and search page settings, and warns you about changes to them.

User interactions
If you get a warning about an Internet Explorer page that has changed when you did not change it yourself, you should usually deny it (if it is not a microsoft.com page that is set - IE tends to change pages itself on a fresh computer)

When I sign on to these forums a message says I am not accepting cookie but I come on via reset cookie line under sighn in area.

Posting here or sending a e-mail can take close to forever, I am on dial up and current connection speed is 50.6 kps (my top connection speed). No DSL where I live but will be when/where I move to. I am on IE 7

BiLL

Old Jun 9, 2007, 9:26 AM   #14
Administrator

I dunno Bill.

It could just be something with IE 7 (configuration options, corrupted files). Do you have it setup to allow cookies? That sounds like one problem (unless one of the protection programs is blocking them).

But, things like Favorites being redirected to somewhere else and options being changed at each startup sounds more like a Browser Hijacker has infected your system.

I probably wouldn't have more than one virus protection running at the same time (i.e., AVG, Avast). But, Spybot S&D or Adaware PE usually wouldn't interfere (they just scan for some of the more common spyware/adware on demand, versus scanning everything in real time).

I don't use Windows very much (it's been days since I booted into Windows on my PC). But, I keep AVG Free installed on Windows, and use both SpyBot S&D and Adaware PE to try and get rid of most adware periodically. They tend to compliment each other (sometimes Adaware will find something Spybot doesn't and vice-versa).

Sometimes, malware is embedded into an Operating System so well that the protection products can't see it. In that case, booting into a known clean Operating System (either Windows or Linux), with the suspect drive installed in the same PC (just not booting into it) can find problems when you scan.

I had to do that with a friend's PC not long ago. I used a Linux LiveCD called Trinity Rescue Kit for that purpose using multiple products to find the malware (and he had a lot of malware, even though he was running a fully updated Norton Internet Security Suite). Norton even missed a nasty trojan found by AVG running under Linux, and it was missing a lot of spyware, too.

Afer fixing his PC (which was a real multi-day chore he was so infected with Spyware masquerading as Spyware protection and more), I removed Norton (with some difficulty) from his PC since it's a resource hog, and replaced it with AVG Free for Windows, Spybot S&D, Adaware PE and Zone Alarm Free (for a firewall, since he's not behind a router). The only reason I didn't install Windows from scratch was because he has a lot of software he needed installed and had misplaced some of the original CDs for reinstalling it. Starting from scratch and reinstalling Windows would have been much easier (and safer, in case malware was installed that scan products don't recognize yet).

But, using this kind of Live CD to scan a PC for malware assumes Linux knowledge (it's command line only for mounting drives, running scripts/programs, etc.).

http://trinityhome.org/Home/index.ph...mp;front_id=12

It may not be a malware issue at all. But, that would be my first suspect if favorites are being redirected to somewhere else, with options being changed at each restart of your browser.

Have you got all of the Windows critical updates installed?

An average Windows PC connected to the internet only lasts something like 16 minutes before being infected without patches installed according to one article on the subject (and it also includes a link to an article describing the best way to avoid infection before you can get the updates installed with a new Windows installation). Unfortunately, some malware can be very difficult to detect and remove if it was allowed to "get through" before adequate protection was present.

http://www.techweb.com/wire/30000109

How about Microsoft's Windows Defender (have you tried it)?

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx

Old Jun 9, 2007, 9:47 AM   #15
Administrator

P.S.

You may also want to consider using Firefox instead of IE (although IE 7 is supposed to be better than IE 6 from a security perspective).

http://www.mozilla.com

Old Jun 9, 2007, 7:46 PM   #16

Hello all of you helpful Kodak people!

Bill2468 installed opandas exposure info but I decided to do it via priorities as recomended here.

Up to now when I double clicked on a picture it would open my Adobe Elements 4 but with all this changing the adobe default has vanished and double clicking goes to a windows image and fax area.

Can anyone outline how to restore Adobe Elements back to the double click default?

Gilly911

gilly911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 8:16 PM   #17
Administrator

Change the associations for the file type (jpeg, etc.) you're trying to open to the program you want to open them with when you click on them.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307859

Old Jun 10, 2007, 12:12 AM   #18
Administrator

IOW, do this and select Photoshop Elements 4 as the program to "Open With" after you right click on an image in Windows Explorer, making sure to check the "Always use the selected program" box if you want it to be the default image viewer.

Quote:
1. Right-click a file with the extension whose association you want to change, and then click Open With.

2. In the Open With dialog box, click the program where you want the file to open, or click Browse to locate the program that you want.

3. Select the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file check box.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 6:47 AM   #19

Half way out of the forest ! (but still half way in).

I deleated AVAST and kept AVG

Deleated COOKIE EDITOR (spybot should suffice)

Installed and used S & D SPYBOT

Favorites no longer go through YAHOO but sign ins are not retained.:O

I once installed FIREFOX but did not understand it, Home page was white with one line saying it was firefox. Should I try OPERA :?

I expect to move into coop about Sept. which is cable ready so I will drop Earthlink and go with the cables T-1 (not via dish).

Sending e-mail and sending a posting here is taking close to ever to complete.

Any advise :?

BiLL

Old Jun 10, 2007, 6:48 AM   #20

The above tansmission went super fast

BiLL

5/8 out of the forest (still 3/8 in)