Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jun 10, 2007, 1:28 AM   #1

While exploring my new Z712is I have been confused from the start by its filename conventions. Among the hundreds of test shots I've taken, followed by more hundreds of 'serious' ones, I noticed that some image filenames are of the form "10x_nnnn.jpg" and some "10xBnnnn.jpg".

I thought at first that this was something to do with whether the images had beenwritten to camera memory or to memory card.

But after photographing a concert last night, I was veryconfused by the sequence in which my shots appeared in most of my image viewers. ThenI realised that the "B" instead of an underscore means the shot was (I think) taken in 'burst' or 'bracketing' shutter mode. If I'm wrong, please can someone correct me?

So if you change your mind and take only one 'burst' shot, you'll find that image appearing on its own out of sequence if a sequence has been sorted by file name rather than by date&time, and batches of burst shots will appear on their own, out of sequence.

I'm sure Kodak intended to be helpful, but it's seriously disruptive to my 'workflow'.

In order to show folk my results quickly, I'll typically prepare a collection of highlights, including cropped and otherwise twiddled versions of many shots. I will rename new versions with a suffix, and save them. They'll automaticallyhave a new date, and generally be without theEXIF data. Then, using the brilliant features of Irfanview, ( http://www.irfanview.com ) I'll rapidly batch resize the lot and generate a web page of thumbnails and associated image files, all ready in one folder for upload to my website for viewing by anyone, anywhere. The files will automatically be correctly sorted by filename, because that's the optionI choose in Irfanview.

Now, I'll have to rename any "102Bnnnn" burst mode shots to "100_nnnn" first to get them back in sequence. Fortunately, I have a lovely little Windows utility 'CKRename' ( http://www.musicsucks.com/CKSoft/index.htm) to do this batch renaming. If you use it be careful; it's potentially dangerous without good backups of originals! I'd be grateful for pointers to any similar Windows utilities.

Are there any other Kodak filename conventions I don't know about, waiting to catch me? Or am I the only one didn't know? I can't find anything about it in the manual. In general, it's pretty obvious that if you're going to mess with filenames, suffixes are going to be less awkward than prefixes.

I am, btw, absolutely delighted with the Z712is. It's by far the best camera I've ever had, at a remarkably low price. I have at last, traded in (for peanuts) my extensive Olympus OM-10 kit.That could do a lot of the same things, but not do a lot as well, and at many, manytimes the size, weight, and cost.

Alan T

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2007, 8:18 AM   #2

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
I am, btw, absolutely delighted with the Z712is. It's by far the best camera I've ever had, at a remarkably low price. I have at last, traded in (for peanuts) my extensive Olympus OM-10 kit.That could do a lot of the same things, but not do a lot as well, and at many, manytimes the size, weight, and cost.

Alan T
Glad you found a workaround for the numbering problem. I'm very interested in the Z712is. Can you tell me a bit more about your experiences with it? How does it do with shots right out of the camera? I'm planning a trip to Alaska and need a new camera and was considering a 'superzoom' or a DSLR. Do you have a link to some pics?
rcfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 11:16 AM   #3

rcfuzz wrote:
Quote:
How does it do with shots right out of the camera? ......was considering a 'superzoom' or a DSLR. Do you have a link to some pics?
I'll put a couple of full size images straight from the camera on my website for you to inspect, and PM you when I've done it. So keep an eye on your 'private messages'.

To be going on with, if you look at...

http://www.bknowl.myzen.co.uk/holida...px027376s.html....and

http://www.bknowl.myzen.co.uk/holida...px027780s.html...

...they'll give you an idea of what you might achieve in Alaska. I couldn't have done these at all with any camera I'veowned since I was 10 in 1959. I'd have missed them anyway, in the time taken to fit the 210-420mm lens & 2x adapter to my OM-10, and wouldn't have had a clue what the results would look like.

They're stitched panoramas of 4 frames each, resized to fit the screen, and slightly sharpened. They were taken hand-held at 432mm, 1/1024s, F/4,8 but steadied a bit on a fencepost, in a gale, getting very cold & beginning to get wet from an imminent violent shower.

There are others to look at nearby, but they're all resized for the web.

You'll needplenty of battery power. I now have two rechargeable CRV3's and carry a spare CRV3 as well.

A pal of mine, a semi-retired professional commercial, industrial, & general photographer, has the full works of thousands of pounds-worth (and tens of kg of weight) of Nikon state-of-the-art dSLR, (even the direct link to his GPS), and he's a bit jealous of my shiny new Z712is, at about a tenth of the price & weight. We photographed the same choral and instrumental concert in a church 2 days ago, and he thinks my shots are as good as his. This is mostly an accident becausehe knows what he's doing!

I haven't had it long enough to be sure, but at the moment I'd recommend it most highly. If you're going to Alaska, the price of it would be a drop in the cold ocean of expenditure, even if you just took it as a spare.

Have a wonderful time,

Alan T

Old Jun 11, 2007, 11:34 AM   #4

rcfuzz wrote:
Quote:
Glad you found a workaround for the numbering problem......
I've also found out from my pal that his Nikon dSLR numbers frames rigorously sequentially, so my worry that maybe other people knew about somethingIdidn't was unjustified.

However, another useful 'feature' of burst mode, discovered this morning, is that after a burst or a bracketing it increments the file number so that the next frame is 10 frames higher numbered thanthe first one of the burst. This would be even more useful if anyone knew about it. It gave me kittens (does this translate to American?)because I thought I'd lost some pictures before even seeing them.

Or am I still missing something? Anyone from Kodak around?

Alan T
Old Jun 11, 2007, 11:56 AM   #5

Great pics, Alan. Looks like I have to take a closer look at the Z712is. Fortunately, it's available at my local Circuit City at a good price. Although it's frustrating at times, it's great that there are so many good cameras to choose from. Thanks again.
rcfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 5:16 PM   #6

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
We photographed the same choral and instrumental concert in a church 2 days ago, and he thinks my shots are as good as his. This is mostly an accident becausehe knows what he's doing!
Do you have any of those posted? I'd like to see those.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 10:44 AM   #7

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
... after a burst or a bracketing it increments the file number so that the next frame is 10 frames higher numbered thanthe first one of the burst.
Further, before the burst, the file number is incremented so that the first shot's last digit number is a zero, i.e., it rounds up to the nearest 10. Also a useful feature, as you can see at a glance how many shots in the block, without counting them. I wonder how many users know about this?

Alan T