Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jun 24, 2007, 9:17 AM   #11

profe-

Those are Amanda Lee's photos which are very impressive. That very post is what initially drew me to the Z-712 and to begin to seriously consider a purchase. If you would post some high ISO photos, I would really appreciate it.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2007, 11:12 AM   #12

Hi, Sara. I did post a few shots. I did it right away and put it as a P.S. in my message above. Here it is again:

I did it. You can check out my low light high ISO shots on pbase:
http://www.pbase.com/image/81042138 and following. It is best to see them full size to judge the pictures better; that's why I did not upload them here.

I hope this is what you wanted. Overall I must say this is the best digicam I have ever had for low light shooting. At auto iso on program it goes up to 400, which give a very good picture in most cases. You can select 800 or 1600 manually (and I must say, very easily), which extends the usable low light capability. Yes, the pictures are quite usable. There is quite a bit of good detail in the high iso pictures. It is not smeared or blurred by overly aggressive noise reduction.
profe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2007, 11:43 AM   #13

Thanks, 'profe',very much for sharing your high ISO images. Even with the IS on the Z712, I've been struggling a bit with poor light levels recently, when wanting good depth of field.I've experimented only a little withISO 200, but I you've taught me I should try winding it up! Also, these 'blooming' flowers won't keep still, even in just a slight breeze.

Alan T
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2007, 8:39 PM   #14

Thanks profe and Alan-

Well, I bit the bullet today and purchased a Z-712 for myself. Here is my ISO 640 Sample Photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jun 24, 2007, 10:22 PM   #15

Sara:

What's your evalution at ISO 640. I know it's not what the Fuji's do but my impression is that it is near what the Z612 does at 400.

AC
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2007, 11:34 PM   #16

Sarah, first of all, congratulations on your new camera.May you get many thousands of great pictures from it. I hope you will share them with us here and at dpreview once in a while. The picture you posted looks good, very good, to me. My only question is how you got ISO 640? I thought the camera only did up to 400 in auto mode and that higher user settings outside of auto are 400, 800, 1600.

Tom
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:08 AM   #17

profe-

I went to the High ISO Mode, which is very much like an Auto ISO Mode from 400 up.

That is the ISO number the camera decided to use.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 25, 2007, 8:07 PM   #18

Sarah, thanks for your clarification about the ISO 640. I had tried the High ISO mode myself a half dozen times and every time it gave me 1600, so I thought it was a fixed setting. It is good to know that it is a variable value.

Tom
Old Jul 11, 2007, 9:11 PM   #19

Thanks to all of you, I am going to buy a Z712IS. I've been researching this camera quite a bit and stumbled on to your forum. Thanks for all the good discussion and photos! Alan, the Grouse Inn looks like a good place to shelter even when the weather isn't so threatening!!!

Bob

Lancaster, Pa
RumJumbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2007, 3:55 PM   #20

Does the Z712 take 8gb SDHC cards?
Also how does it compare to the Canon S5 seems like the specs are very close and no one seems to review the Kodak.
Currently the only camera I have is a Sony F707 which works fine but I like the idea of a second camera and the price is certainly right for the Kodak.
dvdivx is offline   Reply With Quote