Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jun 16, 2007, 10:59 PM   #1

I got my 712 5 days ago and have had occasion to take lots of pictures with it. It is pretty small (though not pocketable) and lightweight. It is a fast, accurate-focusing camera. The 12x zoom is fabulous. It has an Auto mode that I finally like. The high iso on the camera does a nice job--even my worst shots at 1600 are usable (with a little help from Neat Image). There are almost no ruined shots due to camera fault (photographer fault, yes). The colors are definitely Kodak, but not as saturated as some of their cameras have been. There is plenty of detail in the photographs. In summary, it is a camera with a great combination of qualities and few faults. Kodak has a real winner here. (I have owned maybe 10 digital cameras over the years and the 712 is one of the top performers) A picture is worth a thousand words, so in case you want to see some actual production from the camera, feel free to visit my Kodak Z712IS gallery at http://www.pbase.com/tgaf/kodak_z712is I have posted over 60 photos of various types there. There is a little glitch in the Pbase exif listing some times. I don't know why but some times it says I haven't used the flash when I obviously have.
profe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2007, 11:55 AM   #2

Thanks for posting. Looks like the camera is working well and you have some nice photos as well.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 11:52 AM   #3

Greetings,

Like you, I like this camera. It has many of the features I prefer. Great results in my efforts as well. I have used it for a number of events (graduations etc.) and I like the color and skin tones. The camera does have a number of color modes, so you might want to review and test them as well.

high color, natural color (default), low color, sepia, black and white

Some people like high or low color and Kodak uses natural color as the default.

Talk to you soon, enjoy the camera.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 5:06 PM   #4

I continue to be delighted with the results from my Z712is, though I'm still learning after about 1000 shots in a month or so.

Here is an example of something I couldn't have done with any camera I've previously owned in about 50 years of photography. It was dusk, with rapidly failing light prior to a huge storm which soaked me, and taken hand-held at 1/15s, f/2.8 .

I call it 'Mirror Asymmetry'....
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 5:16 PM   #5

...and this is where I sheltered from the storm.

The image isn't brilliantly sharp, but after brisk walking for the last 20min, at 1/6s, f/3.2, 137mm equivalent, it's far better than I could possible have achieved without image stabilisation.

I haven't had a long zoom to hand since digicams came to mein 2002, because of cost & weight. This camera fixes both at low cost, with IS as well.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 10:48 PM   #6

Hi, Ron. Thank you for your note. I am enjoying the camera and liking it more and more all the time. I have never had a camera that took such a high percentage of properly exposed and focused pictures. I appreciate your comments about experimenting with the various settings for color, etc. My own approach is to find as neutral camera settings as possible and then fine tune the picture in post processing. One thing that doesn't need much tweaking is the color. Kodak lives up to its reputation of nicely saturated, accurate colors. What I would really love to experiment with is wide angle and macro lenses for the camera. 12X is enough zoom for me...at least for now. Now if there was only some way to get RAW files from the camera....
Old Jun 22, 2007, 10:50 PM   #7

Hi, Alan. Nice to see your comments and pictures. Seems we are having the same experience with the camera. Like you I have gotten a lot of good shots that were not possible with other cameras. The Auto Smart Scene function does the trick where my attempts in Program mode are less than successful. Keep shooting and sharing.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 5:23 PM   #8

I am seriously considering the purchase of the Z-712. Your posted photos look quite good. How has the Z-712 been in a low light level environment without the use of flash? Could you post some high ISO sample photos. Thanks, in advance, for helping me out !

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2007, 12:26 AM   #9

Hi, Sarah. I'll post some low light high iso pictures asap, probably tomorrow, June 24. Meanwhile, check out this thread at dpreview on precisely this topic. Best wishes, Tom

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=23742040

P.S. I did it. You can check out my low light high ISO shots on pbase:
http://www.pbase.com/image/81042138 and following. It is best to see them full size to judge the pictures better; that's why I did not upload them here.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 8:33 AM   #10

profe and Alan,

Thank you both for the samples you're providing. The Z712 is looking pretty good.

As an aside, the Z612 tele range is from 35mm to 420mm and the Z712 from 36mm to 432 mm. Just a tad more reach in telephoto.
domang is offline   Reply With Quote