Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jun 30, 2007, 7:58 AM   #1

Hi all.

I was reading the V705 review on this site, since I was interested in a compact camera with a real wide angle lens. But, looking at the sample images, I noticed that almost all of them seems out-of-focus or shaked, with results that are really worse than other cameras (like Canon A710 IS, for instance). Anyway, their quality is far from to be defined quite good, as in Steve's conclusion. And the quality on the borders is totally unacceptable.

Does anybody here in the forum have experiece with this camera?

Best regards.

Paolo

PaoloB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2007, 7:08 PM   #2

Paolo, don't forget the wide angle lens is fixed focus and I've never seen really sharp results from ANY fixed focus lens.

And don't forget you're looking atpictures MUCH bigger than the people whom this camera is aimed at would ever see -- nothing like a 4 X 6 print for evening things out!
Almar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:59 AM   #3

PaoloB wrote:
Quote:
Hi all.

I was reading the V705 review on this site, since I was interested in a compact camera with a real wide angle lens. But, looking at the sample images, I noticed that almost all of them seems out-of-focus or shaked, with results that are really worse than other cameras (like Canon A710 IS, for instance). Anyway, their quality is far from to be defined quite good, as in Steve's conclusion. And the quality on the borders is totally unacceptable.

Does anybody here in the forum have experiece with this camera?

Best regards.

Paolo

I don't really think the V705 and the A710IS are in the same class in either in price, sizenor intended market.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 6:25 PM   #4

Paolo

My familyhas been using the V705 asthe main walk around camera for a few months, with very good results. No it does not have IS, so if your shaky...well.., but, actually my wife is and she seems to get pretty good shots. The attached shot of a fountain was taken out of the window of a moving car, by my wife and was cropped in the camera ( a feature of the V705). The other attached shots are just snapshots that I quickly grabbed and reduced their size to fit on this site.

I paid $190 for the V705 and consider it a bargain., everyone who sees the prints just love it.

thegreygeek

N90s P850, P880, V705

Attached Images

Thegreygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 6:30 PM   #5

another at 94mm (35mmequiv) f4.3 1/250

Attached Images

Old Jul 3, 2007, 6:32 PM   #6

Another

this one at night, f2.8, 1/30 23mm (the widest it goes), ISO 200
Attached Images

Old Jul 3, 2007, 6:39 PM   #7

Here is the last one I will burden you all with.

this one V705, f2.8 1/30 iso200 23mm (the wide guy)

Thats it for now

thegreygeek

N90s, P850, P880, V705

Attached Images

Old Jul 10, 2007, 6:53 AM   #8

Thanks for your sample photos Thegreygeek.

I found another review for this camera at Letsgodigital:

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/came...33/page_6.html

These photos are more encouraging than those on Steve's review. Still, when ISO sensitivity goes up (see the 160 ISO sample photo), image quality get worse rapidly. However the quality of these shots are much better than those reelased bySteveon his site. Get a look at the hotel shot (100_0082.jpg, ISO 50 and 12,4 mm focal length - we are not talking of fixed focus here) and you will see what I mean.

Best regards.

Paolo

Old Jul 10, 2007, 6:59 AM   #9

For Ac.smith.

In Europe now it's not easy to find the V705 (seems Kodak has discontinued it for our market....), but when you find it, it's more expensive than Canon A710IS (more than 300 euros against a Canon price aroung 220-240 euros). At these prices I'm expecting at least a comparable quality.

Anyway, the samples published at:

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/came...33/page_6.html

seems much better than those on this site.

Paolo

Old Jul 10, 2007, 9:10 AM   #10

Yep those are nice shots., and i would agree if I paid $300+ for this camera but I paid less than $190 for it New and as a walk around camera it is great.

I posted snap shots taken by non advanced people to show that if they can get decent shots with this thing then well....

I shot a few videos at a party this past weekend with it and they too are decent.

check out the Kodak outlet store on eBay., it may show up there for a good price aned they kodak gives the 1 yr factory warranty for purchases on the site.

As far as the high ISO's are concerned, I tested it at 400 and there is some noise but not enough for concern, afterall this is a walkaround camera not a pro DSLR.

Have fun, take pictures

Thegreygeek

n90s, P850,P880,V705