Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jul 2, 2007, 5:59 AM   #1

I've now taken over 1000 images with my Z712, purchased in late May.

In general, I am very well pleased with it; it's by far the best digicam I've owned, practically,technically and in terms of value for money. Stabilisation at this price is a breakthrough. The high ISO performance, when manually set,is very good.

However I have found a few minor annoyances, of which perfectionists should be aware...

1. No image review mode without the lens cap off & lens extended. Your lens is at risk of fingerprints or worse when family & friends want to see the shot you just took.

2. Too coarse a thread on zoom drive motor - difficult to frame things exactly without much time-wasting coarse zooming to & fro.

3. Curious selection of settings remembered on switchoff & restart. For example...

Remembers close-up/infinity/manual/auto focus settings. I never want it to do this, and have made many mistakes as a result of this 'feature';

Remembers EV value offset. I always do want it do that. I often get burnt-out highlights onstandard exposure, so I leave -0.3EV set routinely.Remembers 'flash off' in most modes I use. Good! (Say goodbye to surprise flash popups.)

Forgets bracketing or 'motor drive' mode. If I use them, I'm likely to do it more than once, because....

4. Only 3-step exposure bracketing is provided. In some modes, if offset already set, bracketing only gives 2 different shots, which may be wrong, and more wrong.5 shots of +/-0.3 step (or more) would be just right (as on my previous cameras).

5. Flimsy cover on SD card slot.

6. Very tiny & vulnerable size of USB socket (so I use a card reader).

7. High ISO mode is useful mainly as a difficult to read exposure meter, It doesn't say what ISO it decides to use, and gives no control of exposure, i.e., fully auto only, which will generally over expose by 0.3EV on my specimen. It does tell you the shutter & aperture it's chosen.

8. As I've mentioned before elsewhere, it uses a prefix instead of a suffix for multi-shot burst filenames. This is a nuisance.

9. I maintain the low battery icon appears too late before shut-down. Sometimes I don't see it at all. Others say its fine, so I wonder if I may have a faulty specimen.

The electronic viewfinder is wonderful.

Have fun, Alan T
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:49 AM   #2

Thanks for your observations.

ac

BTW, we both spell Alan the same way.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2007, 3:09 PM   #3

This is a follow-on battery/batteryindicator observation that you asked me to do a while back. Let me set the circumstances. Early June I shot 318 picture at airshow on a fully charged KLIC8000 battery. The battery indicator had just appeared toward the end of the show and I shot at least a few shots with no problem. Immediately after the show I swapped in the other fully charged KLIC8000.

That battery has been in the camera since. In that month I may have taken 75-80 shot plus just had the camera on to explore the focusing characteristics of my recently acquired 1.4x TCON. Yesterday I went to an outdoor political rally. At the event start I had an empty 1GB card with 214 indicated exposures remaining and no battery indicator showing.

During the course of shooting the event I principally used the EVF but did use the LCD when I had to hold the camera overhead. I reviewed only a couple of shots (I rarely review when shooting an event.) The battery indicator came on with 188 shot remaining indicated. I continued to shoot until it start flashing a low power warning and powereditself down. It still had enough power to power back up and read a 140 remaining shots on the memory card. That's at least 48 shots after the indicator appeared. Since I shot at total of 192 pictures it was greater than the measured amount.

AC
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 2:56 AM   #4

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
This is a follow-on battery/batteryindicator observation that you asked me to do a while back....
Thanks very much.

As you'll likely have seen by now, everything is probably explained by my not understanding that 'rechargeable CR-V3' is not at all the same as 'KLIC-8000'. I expect other Z712 owners to make the same mistake, because many are likely never to have seen a KLIC-8000.

I've posted more here & there, as you may have seen.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote