Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jul 9, 2007, 10:10 AM   #1

Hi! Thanks to the great review here, I am a proud owner of a Kodak Z612. While I love the camera and am enjoying learning its features, I think the manual is pitiful.

I currently need help figuring out how to use the focus button. Other than focus lengths, all the booklet says is "Press the focus button repeatedly to change focus modes". What mode should this button be used in?For instance, if I'm in aperture priority mode (or shutter priority, or whatever)and want to take a macro shot, would I just push the focus button to macro? Then switch it off when I'm finished?

Also, how are you supposed to use manual focus? I see there is a slider but have no idea how I am supposed to use it.

I would really appreciate any help.

scrappymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2007, 12:13 PM   #2

The focus button on top of the camera cycles through the four focusing modes available, (default) normal AF, macro AF, Infinity AF, and MF-manual focus. When you wish to use macro press the focus button once, to return to normal focus press the focus button two more times, cycling through infinity and manual focus back to normal.

The focus button should work in Auto, P(rogram), A(perture priority), and S(hutter priority). Some SCN (scene) mode also control the focus mode: 1) Landscape and Night Landscape use the Infinity focus mode, and 2) Text, Flower, and Self Portrait set Macro focus mode.

I haven't used manual focus enough to offer any info beyond what pg. 26 of the manual provides but you are basically using the sharpness of the magnified visual image as your focusing criteria with "advice" from the camera.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2007, 2:50 PM   #3

I have a Z712is rather than a Z612, but I'm led to believe the controls are very similar, so...

scrappymom wrote:
Quote:
...if I'm in aperture priority mode (or shutter priority, or whatever)and want to take a macro shot, would I just push the focus button to macro? Then switch it off when I'm finished?
Yes, as the other Alan has said, the three buttons on the top provide quick access to a few keysettings, as does the rotating dial, without your having to plough through the menus. The 3 buttons and the dial operate largely independently. You'll find it easiest to tell what you're doing if you leave the settings information icons visible on the screen when you're pressing the buttons. The middle, focus button will cause the icons for autofocus, macro, infinity, and manual to show as you press the focus button repeatedly. It usually doesn't matter what mode you're in out of P, A, S, M.

I find it very annoying that on my camera the focus mode remembers where you left it when you switch off & on again. You have to remember to put it back to auto. I'm forever producing misfocused shots because I've left it on macro or infinity, and don't notice I've done so.

scrappymom wrote:
Quote:
Also, how are you supposed to use manual focus? I see there is a slider but have no idea how I am supposed to use it....
I find the manual focus very good when the autofocus system is having trouble. Set manual focus using the top panel button, and then push the left & right cursorarrows onthe round cursor control thingie on the back panel. A little scale pops up on the screen showing a red mark to indicate where you are focused between near and infinity, and the centre part of the image enlarges for accuracy in focus. Twiddle the left & right buttons until the bit you want in focus is sharp.

In the olden days this was how it was always done, except we rotated a ring on the lens barrel, and didn't get the magnified image!

Have fun, and take lots & lots of shots! Alan T
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2007, 7:16 PM   #4

Thank you both! It makes sense that the focus button would be just a quick access to change focus. I know how to switch through the modes, and how macro and infinity are supposed to work. Just wasn't sure about when to use them. Your answers have helped alot.

The manual focus part is still a bit confusing because I've never used it before. I'll play around with it.

Thanks so much for your help!

scrappymom is offline   Reply With Quote