Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jul 9, 2007, 3:22 PM   #1

Here are with some resized fireworks images with the settings used, and some 1:1 pixel for pixel clips from these frames to show image quality. I hand-held the camera propped on the edge of the window frame and braced against the window stay seen in my earlier post under "P712 Scene modes", with image stabilisation on.

All the firework shots are with f=35mm equiv. and 5Mpixel originals, infinity focus. The first two are in 'fireworks' scene mode, the rest set to shutter priority at lens fully open, mostly EV -1.0 stop, 100ASA, resulting in the shutter speeds shown. Taking heed of the earlier messages in "P712 Scene modes", I didn't try high iso at all.

My conclusions are with the last shot. Firstly....

1:1 clip from camera image, plus full frame resized & sharpened.

Firework mode. Flashgun popped open on setting it, despite being turned off in my default settings, so put it back quickly. Seems to set WB daylight, 64ASA, 2s, f/5.7. Considerable camera movement despite IS (first attempt, not properly settled!) Not too bad though.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2007, 3:26 PM   #2

Full frame, resized, sharpened, & 2 phone cables (visible in daylight shot in introductory post) dug out with PSP's 'trowel' tool. Presented this one and a couple of others to housekeeper at the Old Hall this morning after establishing myself as friendly via 'blinking eye' Hal-style entryphone.

Nice sky is entirely accidental consequence of trying manual mode, 5s f/2.8, 100iso. Considerable camera movement evident on full size clip (next post). Phone cable is actually a single two-core fat strand....
Attached Images

Old Jul 9, 2007, 3:35 PM   #3

768x876 full-size (1:1) clip from original image
Attached Images

Old Jul 9, 2007, 3:37 PM   #4

This is a full-size 1:1 clip (566x402 from 2592x1944) to demonstrate via the phone cables the effectiveness of IS, at 2s, f/2.8; Camera propping was feeling rather wobbly w.r.t. fore&aft rocking on window frame.
Attached Images

Old Jul 9, 2007, 3:45 PM   #5

804x9231:1 clip, 0.5s, f/2.8. Some camera movement but still pretty good (note telephone wire). Obvious that cameraman is major variable in steadiness.
Attached Images

Old Jul 9, 2007, 3:52 PM   #6

654x619 1:1 clip, pretty sharp, at 0.5s, f/6.3 plus full frame, resized & sharpened
Attached Images

Old Jul 9, 2007, 3:56 PM   #7

Conclusions:

Image Stabilisation is well worth having if tripod not used for any reason. Here, if I'd used a tripod the family wouldn't have been able to get at the window and look over my head as I knelt with the camera on the windowframe, so I'd have been elbowed out of the way.

The 'fireworks' scene mode is useless on Z712, as Flying Fossil found on his P712. The exposures suggested to him by others seem on the long side, and may well result in overexposure. Fractions of seconds seemed ok to me at 100iso and f/2.8. Distance may be a factor. I was about 750m from the fireworks, so each bit of burning illumination would travel apparently slowly across the sensor elements, increasing exposure compared with being closer, but that's linear, and the brightness would follow the inverse square law, so closer you'd have needed faster (less exposure), and IS might do the trick without even being propped at all. I've had some good success in poor daylight around 1/20th to 1/10th second without winding up the ISO, if you look at my other posts in this forum about my Z712.

IS is a miracle for hand-held telephoto shots when the subject would have flown away if you tried to erect your tripod.

Also, all you folk with steady hands will be old one day!

Have fun! Alan T