Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jul 19, 2007, 12:33 PM   #1

After reading several reviews I decided to go for one of these but I'm not so sure if the Z712 is actually worth the extra 50€ that could go to accessories for the Z612.

I would like to know your view on the subject, if you already tested both models or have one of them.
Karsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2007, 1:58 PM   #2

I'll answer this from the perspective of a very satisfied Z612 owner. The Z612 is a very versatile camera that provides excellent image quality (IQ) considering exposure accuracy, color accuracy, focusing accuracyand lens quality. It is light weight, compact for a superzoom with excellent ergonomics. My opinion - there's no other camera on the market now in it's price range ($210-$250, $180 if you can find one on Kodak's refurb site) that approach its overall performance. Consider this, I bought mine (a Kodak refurb) at very nearly the current Z712 price and I'm still happy.

The Z712 is a very conservative update of the Z612. It adds some features and capabilities but appears not to have lessened any of the Z612s great qualities. The sensor (obviously) and cpu have been changed. The significant (in my mind) added features are a little more versatility in battery choices, higher ISO capability, SDHC cardsand the in-camera panoramic capability. From what I've seen of user posts the higher ISO capability is reasonably useable up to ISO 800 and since I've pressed my Z612 to the limits and beyond in low light that is appreciated.

It's really up to the buyer to decide if those features are worth the extra $50, a fairly nominal price in my opinion.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 7:05 PM   #3

I have a 712is and I'm very pleased with it. Best camera I've owned, including all my old SLR film camera stuff, which I've now sold at last.

I bought it from my local camera shop. The owners go abroad frequently on photoshoots, and take a collection of latest model digicams to test. They have a folder of big prints from each of the models they sell on the counter in the shop.

They tested the 612 and gave it anenthusiastic review, and I bought their first 712, as they knew it to be very similar. They've since given a similar recommendation to the 712. So as the other Alan says, it's just a matter of what you think the extras are worth. I'd have preferred to pay less and do without all the 'Kodak Easysharing' rubbish myself.

Good luck & happy snapping, whichever you get! Alan T

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 9:17 PM   #4

I also recommend the Z712. It takes great pictures in auto mode and also takes good pictures in low light. Plus the price has been officially lowered on the Kodak website to 249.99, the same price as the Z612 on the Kodak site. No reason to not get the Z712 at this price...It can be found even lower on some websites.
BigCTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 9:49 PM   #5

BigCTM wrote:
Quote:
No reason to not get the Z712 at this price...It can be found even lower on some websites.
Concur.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 10:38 AM   #6

After reading you replies I'll probably go with the Z712, Thanks :G

I read somewhere you could use NiMH AA batteries, although they wouldn't last as much as the Li-ion counterparts. Can you confirm?

Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:15 AM   #7

Karsa wrote:
Quote:
...probably go with the Z712...

I read somewhere you could use NiMH AA batteries, although they wouldn't last as much as the Li-ion counterparts. Can you confirm?
No, sorry, I'm afraid I can deny it, except in short-term emergency.

I and my camera shop thought I'd be able to, by analogy withsome earlier models,but the lifetime even of fully-charged 2500mAh Ni-MHs is very short. I found out immediately, because that's what I tried first, intending to keep the supplied CR-V3 disposable as backup.

We've discussed this a lot either here or in the 'Batteries & Power Supplies' forum recently. I'm afraid you need to read the lot to get the full story. I'll edit the links in here when I find them, or someone better organised than me could post them.

In summary you can use...

- throwaway CR-V3;

- rechargeable CR-V3 Li-ion (as I do) from various manufacturers, being careful that your charger and all your batteries are compatible with each other;

-or the Kodak proprietary KLIC-8000 Li-ion;

- or the cheaper after-market 'replacement KLIC-8000'.

All these are the same shape, but the last two have different contacts and need a different charger, so they won't work in other cameras in the spacedesigned for2xAA or disposable CR-V3 .

I am very happy with the lifetime of my 2 cheap rechargeable CR-V3s. They'refrom different suppliers, butwork well inthe same charger. The charger uses a special small centre contact for charging. I carry a throwaway CR-V3 as well, but don't intend to use it until it expires in 2016.

It is just possible that my suspicions about variable behaviour of the 'low battery' indicator on the 712 are due to my not using a KLIC-8000 design. They use different contacts in the camera. Until someone tries each in the same camera and reports, we don't know.

I recommend the camera highly, as I've said. I now taken thousands of shots with it (since May). Some are evenmoderately good !
Old Jul 21, 2007, 2:40 AM   #8

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
- rechargeable CR-V3 Li-ion (as I do) from various manufacturers, being careful that your charger and all your batteries are compatible with each other;
- or the cheaper after-market 'replacement KLIC-8000'. ...
After looking around it seems I can get a pack of 2 batteries + charger for the same price (+- 30€, P&P inc.), so the price being the same should I go for CR-V3 or KLIC-8000 batteries? Anyone tried both?
Old Jul 22, 2007, 2:03 AM   #9

Karsa wrote:
Quote:
...the price being the same should I go for CR-V3 or KLIC-8000 batteries? ......
KLIC-8000 (or replacements) might be better in the Z712 (we don't know until someone authoritative tells us), as it has special contacts, which might be used differently. It has greater capacity than the 'rechargeable CR-V3' ones I have.

'Rechargeable CR-V3' will be usable in other CR-V3 and 2xAA devices, and KLIC-8000won't necessarily do this.

Rechargeable CR-V3s vary in mAh capacity. Obviously this affects usefulness & value for money.

Difficult choice. I made my choice by accident!

Good luck, Alan T

Old Jul 22, 2007, 10:24 AM   #10

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
Difficult choice. I made my choice by accident!

Good luck, Alan T
Truthfully, so did I.

A. C.