Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 7, 2007, 6:26 PM   #11

wayne. yep I found that awhile ago LOL 1200 by september should do?

I am happy with my dv camcorder a tape unit easy to edit no headaches?

yes it is a wonderful hybrid. lookingfoward to it but i realy have no use for one yet?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 3:03 AM   #12

Seen the Kodak video footage on the other thread. Still suffers from many problems that the Sanyo HD1 had. I imagine the flashing interpolated pixels (maybe also from noise of dark pixels) would drop an lot of performance of the Mp4/H264 codec. I don't know about the diagonal problem, but Aiptek had it, and Sanyo HD2 fixed it. This and the other thatch looking patterns, are apparently caused by the way the sensor itself internally interpolates the image (and an filter). But, from what I have seen, most of this looks predictable and able to be taken out in post sensor processing, we can only hope that more cameras adopt this feature in future.

Canon with their noisy TX1 at around 35mb/s, we can only hope they could one day soon, instead do 36mb/s 50fps 720p h264, with low noise. That would be worthy of the top end cameras. The extremely low data rates of h264/Mpeg4 video on still cameras we have been used to, is mainly for novel video, or toy cameras. We can only hope that more serious cameras give more serious data rates, so that professionals can easily swap between snapping and shooting, or at the same time.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 11:52 PM   #13

I just brought the Z1275 in last weekend.

Just my dream cam for 5 reasons:

1. Great Video at 1280x720
2. Manual Exposure Controls
3. Compact size (although a bit short & thick)
4. Zoom 5X
5. Cheap price HK$2300 (about US$290)

Any "blocks of pixel" or "interpolated pixel" problem, I can tell you, is due to:

*** SLOW SD CARD ***

I found out that by swinging the DC around during movie capture, first using Toshiba blue (class-4) 2GB,

and then using Sandisk Ultra II 2GB, and noticed the occurence and then disappearance of the problem.

I've been using Kodak V550 for 2 years.

Z1275 noise control is much improved over v550, even both set to 640x480 movie mode.

big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2007, 12:41 AM   #14

Any chance of uploading the video.
You can use a site like megaupload.com , rapidshare.com , etc. Doesn't matter how boring the subject matter is. Especially the 720p video. I'd love to see that.
dvdivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2007, 2:27 AM   #15

Yes, sir!

But I need some time to prepare it (quite busy at the moment)

The file data rate (not bitrate) is about 1MB/sec for 1280x720.

So I may need about 10MB upload space for 10sec of video clip.

Any other suggestions of video upload/sharing sites???

As I am in Hongkong, I am not sure about the bandwidth if uploading to US sites.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 2:52 AM   #16

http://www.megaupload.com/cn/ is the chinese upload site but I can't read chinese.

10-30 second clips are fine. Maybe one clip outdoors, one clip indoors and one clip in low light.

The chinese megaupload site is hosted out of Hong Kong so I doubt it would be a problem. Thanks for posting anything. I'm sure plenty of people are interested.
dvdivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2007, 8:15 AM   #17

Please use something better than megaupload, slow, keeps dropping the connection often, apart from the problems just getting it to start and download in the session (keeps coming back to letter validation screen). Half the problem is probably because I am using an old stand-in PC with dial-up.

Not that sort of blocking, but the blocking that happens when the codec runs out of space in the available bandwidth and has to let something go, and the interpolation is because of the way it debayers the pixels during pixel binning, and noise. Better noise removal and sensor technology, is helping with noise, but often not enough.

You probably are not going to notice interpolation, small blocking, and noise, correctly, unless you use an HDTV, preferably big, that does not re-interpolate to an lower resolution from the component input, and does not have circuits that remove interpolation effects, noise and blocking (i.e. an lot of TV's, which will probably also give you an lower resolution than stated, or slightly soft edges to detail). However, the future is big HDTV, so the better input the better out your will get.

But yes, the video is great for an still camera, especially for the price. But this is one of the reasons that video people still buy better video cameras, and professional video people buy even better video cameras (and broadcast production people buy even better, and cinema people even better again etc). I think that it could be better again, for dropping video to Blu-ray (over 40Mb/s video) and hope that an top end camera can be even better again.

Yes, they are on an winner, now for an 50fps 18-36mb/s H264 version .

Wayne12

big_potato wrote:
Quote:
I just brought the Z1275 in last weekend.
Any "blocks of pixel" or "interpolated pixel" problem, I can tell you, is due to:

* *** SLOW SD CARD ***
Old Aug 9, 2007, 8:20 AM   #18

I forgot, using short clips (3-10 second) to show different aspects of performance, and problems, works best for dialupers.

The higher data rates I mention above should also restore an lot of missing contrasty detail, which makes an big visual difference.

BTW, for the record, what is the highest data rate for the camera in 720p30, according to the manual?

And Congrats on buying the camera Potato.

Thanks

Wayne12
Old Aug 9, 2007, 3:02 PM   #19

LMAO at theposts not at you......

Upfordown.com

try it no passwords unless you need to do one?

If you had the time to answer this email you should have enough time to film 15 secs and transfer to thesite? I understand dial up is slow and takes many minutes so I must bear with you?

Please hurry up, but take your time?:Gkidding
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 12:49 PM   #20

I was not able to upload the complete video clip (several sessions were interrupted)

Hope this combination of snapshots & down-resolutioed clip (as a compromise) could let you have a rough idea about the quality and performance of the z1275 video capture:

1. Video-clip on Photobucket. Down-rev to about 640 x 360 and converted to Flash Video by Photobucket (filesize trimmed from 14MB to about 600kb). The video was shot thru a glass window and some reflection might have affected the focusing performance. Just to let you appreaciate at least the 5X optical zoom during capture (have to pay Photobucket for full-resolution original upload)

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...100_0029-1.flv

2. Snapshot 1 (also down-res'd)

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...ug/z1275v1.jpg

3. Snapshot 2

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...ug/z1275v2.jpg

4. Snapshot 3 - The harbour view of HK and a taxi approaching my bus at about relative speed of about 160km/h

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...ug/z1275v3.jpg