Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 13, 2007, 12:55 AM   #21

My initial impressions and random thoughtsare:

1) I really miss having an optical viewfinder. In bright sunlight the screen is a pain but usable - sort of.

2) The screen is much brighter than my Fuji F700 in low light and better than using the optical viewfinder on the F700.

3) Zoom works on video. Great!!! You lose focus but regain it quickly.

4) Image stabilization is strange. Rather than set it when using a mode it is its own selection on the top knob. I really wish you could use it on manual mode or on video. The manual does little to explain what the camera is doing in the stabilization mode. I have no idea if this is the auto scene selection mode with image stabilization or a reduced feature mode.

5) I like the knob on the top. Not having to drill down through menus makes movie mode useful like on the Fuji. Scene selection is also easy and intuitive. I never used manual scene selection on the Fuji because I couldn't remember how to quickly select it.

6) The flash seems good for a small pocket camera.

7) 5X optical zoom is nice. 5X digital is worthless. While I dislike digital zoom in general (just crop later) it causes my wife to take bad pictures. She hated the camera initially until I showed her that she was at a 25X zoom setting and then zoomed out to match the Fuji at max zoom. Considering the 12 Mp sensor, a 2X digital would be usable (3Mp effective). Even 3X would have left 1.3Mp. 5X digital yields ~0.5Mp.

8) Did I mention the worthless manual? There are lots of nice features like the zoom indicator turning red when resolution isn't good enough for a 4x6. The manual even mentioned that feature but is quiet on many others.

9) The web site says SD support only. Tech support said no SDHC support. The box says SDHC. I think the box is correct but will have to wait for my SDHC card to arrive.

10) Data cable uses a micro USB that is smaller than standard mini USB. WHY????? I wish people would standardize so I could just carry one cable. I do like that the connector is behind the door that covers the memory card.

11) More plastic in appearance than my Fuji.

12) Button layout is nice with flash control and timer/multi-shot usable i.e. you can figure out how to use them when you need to. The F700 controls were much less intuitive.

13) I saw the V1253 after I had ordered the Z1275. I am still not sure if I should have gotten the V1253 instead for the extra 720p mode and face detection. However, the 5X zoom (optical) is a hit with my wife so she said to keep this one.

14) I generally like their manual mode with one exception. You should be able to change resolution like you change shutter speed etc. To use the highest ISO setting you have to hit MENU and change resolution to 3Mp and them you can select 3200 ISO in manual. ARGH!!!!!

15) What exactly does ISO mode do? There is an explanation in the manual but it says little more than that it increases ISO for low light. Did I mention that the manual stinks?

I have only shot a hand full of pictures so that is all for now. I need to get ready for a trip.

Paul

paulplatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 2:22 AM   #22

SDHC is supported.

I use Sandisk UltraII SDHC 4GB.

The bundled Toshiba blue 2GB (class 4 speed) really sucks. The card is so slow that the video drops/corrupts frames (I am sure as I could repeat the problem easily). After using UltraII or faster cards, the problem is gone.

HD video at 1280x720 @ 30fps, needs a file datarate (not bitrate) of 1MB/sec.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 10:21 AM   #23

I have a 4GB SDHC card on order with 133X speed (Sandisk Extreme III). I was going to get an 8GB card but all I could find was class 6 and that seemed too close to minimum speed for my comfort level.

I guess the fact that the camera does support SDHC shows the quality of Kodak tech support and the accuracy of their web site.

Paul
paulplatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 11:39 AM   #24

The cover of the card slot in the z1275 was marked with "SD/MMC" label.

That's why even the sales person told me it could support SD only

(tho I didn't quite believe a DC relased in 2007 would still not support SDHC)

Also FYI, the User's Guide says the longest video is 30-min only. I haven't got time to verify such rather short limit.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 12:10 PM   #25

A 4gb card that says x133 is a non standard sd card and I'd stay far away from it. SDHC goes from class 2 to class 6 currently.
dvdivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 2:02 PM   #26

big_potato wrote:
Quote:
I was not able to upload the complete video clip (several sessions were interrupted)

Finally I see the vid, and Pic

the shot looked goodwhite or washed ou ski no biggie, I am learningto get some shots with my casio, but oh man it is much better than mine LOL

the vid is awesome but on the other topic I do no like Install language LOL thanks a Million :|
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 1:13 PM   #27

Well I was turned off by the zoom. I did not like how terrible it lost focus during zoom, the CG6 with optical zoom zooms very smoothly with out lossing focus. This alone is a show stopper for me. Fix the zoom and may be worth it then.

Still pics were only "ok", not what I would expect from even a 6MP sensor! Very disapointing for 12MP, and 8MP. Perhaps there are better samples to be had, but I see evidence of a noisy sensor, and jaggies too.

I'm sure many people will be very happy with the Z1275, and I don't mean to slam it. But IMHO after seeing these samples I'm not very impressed. I'm not trying to be overly picking but the zoom really killed it for me.
MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 8:59 PM   #28

MorePixels wrote:
Quote:
.... how terrible it lost focus during zoom, the CG6 with optical zoom zooms very smoothly with out lossing focus......

....Very disapointing for 12MP, and 8MP. Perhaps there are better samples to be had, but I see evidence of a noisy sensor.....
You may try "Single Focusing" instead of "Continuous Focusing" in video mode.

I found it to be much faster.

For the noisy images, I found the Z1275 would try to use high ISO in the auto or scene programs modes.

I use Manual Exposure mode for most of the time, so I would try to keep the ISO at or below 200, and set the aperture & shutter to compensate for it in low-light condition.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 12:42 AM   #29

do u or any on have any samples of single zoom? If only the zooming was better...
MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 5:29 PM   #30

my c875 (i think that's the right model) died 2 weeks back in the middle of vacation.

made a quick run to Samsclub and bought the z1275 without realizing it was a brand new model.

we took a ton of pictures and some video (though i only shot vga video (it's at 4Mbits/sec and blocky... i'll try the HD 720p later).

anyway, got back over the weekend and uploaded all our picks (nearly 300) to the PC to look at. NOTHING BUT DISAPPOINTMENT. The first few photos were great because they were from teh C875. All the rest were crap. we tried several modes: Stabilization, SCN, auto, no manual though and they are all crap ...

focus is not crisp at all (i couldn't find one picture) and a lot of jaggies even when i zoom in slightly (definitely worse than the c875).

i just can't believe it's this bad. i'll certainly play around with it some in case i'm doing something crazy.
DrTivoL is offline   Reply With Quote