Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jul 20, 2007, 6:21 PM   #1

Has anyone tried this camera?

Randy
rasterscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:47 PM   #2

No, sorry, but I do have a Kodak Easyshare Z712is superzoom, which is a very good camera and excellent value, and has been discussed quite a bit here.

Alan T

"Send three and fourpence, we're going to a dance" - Message received at military HQ during battle, by word of mouth. poor telephome lines, and scribbled notes.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2007, 9:21 PM   #3

rasterscan-

It looks like it might use the Kodak Z-885 body with a Schneider lens. It sells for around $50-$65 more than the Z-885. I have not seen any photos from the camera thus far.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 10:58 AM   #4

After my second attempt to get information on the max data rate of the video modes used by this camera, all I got was the information on max length of recording time, and an figure of 2GB for recorded size, which I already knew (min data rate). If this is the max data rate, it works out to be around 3.33mb/s, which is pretty poor.

(Before anybody chips in, I do know what actually are good data rates for recoding 720p H264 camera footage, and it would be closer to 18mb/s because of specific video related issues, but 9mb/s and above should be adequate).
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 1:04 PM   #5

model hit the stores for this week or weekend wed was the selling date?

it is Not an Imax camcorder LMAO?

the casio Ex-V7, I own does a good job, and is H264 compliance? the Aiptek Go film a whole lot better, but gave me issues that i could have delt with? this New model should be on my shopping list?

1 they mention a wide angle

2 they mention 16:9 photo shots

3 will this device take an attachment lens? for telephoto, and wide angle?

I just wished they included a EVF or optical one
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 2:36 PM   #6

Lets see, Imax would need up to 4160p or more, and even at 720p h264 probably 50Mb/s for excellent quality. So, 18mb/s doesn't cut it that much, for us though an usable, great image.

But, what are the data rates of the HD modes? If it is 3.33mb/s it will be less than the Aiptek. Which was not enough to avoid movement problems, and good because they removed noise from the image. If only they could say 18mb/s 720p50 or at least 9mb/s 720p25.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 2:42 PM   #7

:-)read it above before? seeing the vid and knowing not to film sideways makes a big difference?

if they make a device that was perfect, I bet there still be one person to complain they do not like it?

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2007, 8:32 AM   #8

Got another message back from these people, I wasn't sure before, but I think they are pulling my leg. First, they claimed no Kodak camera had HD video, even though I included the model number. Sending an link they send me back an link with the specification page off the page I sent them (as if I'm dumb enough to not read the spec page of the page I sent). Now they send me the spec page again with an quote on how the camera uses the codec for space savings. They could use the same codec at an higher quality data rate. Still not any confirmation on the highest data rate, maybe I'm psychic and didn't notice that my mind had it. I should complain but I don't want them to get sacked, but I am sick and tired of support staff on the Internet that don't know, don't want to know or answer. You are nice to them and they play you along all week.

I am so p off, I don't recommend buying this camera or any other Kodak camera, if that is their idea of support, and quality performance, might as well buy Asian. Well time to get back to that other Z1275 thread on that really big forum. Internet support services should really train for real knowledge, expertise and specifications (actually that one is what an website should have at least).

Why doesn't Foveon sensor cameras do video modes, visually lossless 4:4:4 should be possible nowadays, even in HD, and I would buy an expensive camera for that.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 8:43 AM   #9

Hey Fishy, noticed your interest in pocket cams. Have you seen the new Panasonic AVCHD Pocket camera, 1080 13mb/s, should be tolerable from an pro perspective, compared to the competition (none). Once 24mb/s AVCHD for all resolutions and frame rates is available, it would be worth an video professional buying an top end camera. Next year?
Old Aug 5, 2007, 12:17 PM   #10

Only cameras that shoot 720p or 1080i to flash are the DX series, the cx7 and the new samsung camera and the kodak z1275. The samsung uses 11mbs which would get better results but only has a 1/6 chip shoots 720p at 60fps. Given samsungs horrible previous releases in the camcorder world I wouldn't hold my breath on it's quality.
The panasonics have a real problem with focus on moving objects and interlace noise.
The cx7 is the most expensive and has quite a bit of noise in low light.
The Samsung SC-HMX10 only has a 1/6" chip so low light might be a serious problem. It would be interesting to see how the kodak stacks up on the video performance. Only draw back to the kodak is a 3mbs although I couldn't find that info anywhere. The kodak can use it's zoom during video which is very rare. I also couldn't find where the z1275 supports sdhc cards. I know the z712 does but the specs don't say anything about it for the z1275.
dvdivx is offline   Reply With Quote