Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jul 24, 2007, 12:36 PM   #1

Just have some questions on the z712is.

1.How is the low light performance compared to the 612? Is it a fair low light performer especially indoors? (for a point and shoot - yes I know a dslr is better)

2.Where does the f-stop start on the telephoto side? 4.8?

3.From reviews the JPEG compression starts at around 12:1 any chance of reducing this down to 7:1 or less with future firmware ( a question more for Ron if he reads it)
dvdivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2007, 5:30 PM   #2

dvdivx wrote:
Quote:
...1.How is the low light performance compared to the 612?...

3.From reviews the JPEG compression starts at around 12:1 any chance of reducing this down to 7:1 or less with future firmware ( a question more for Ron if he reads it)
1. Low light examples from the Z712is are on offer at http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=18and links included therein.

2. Yes. f/4.8 at max zoom.

3. Compression: On examining test images to compare the 3 compression levels, I can justsee differences between the 712's 3 degrees of compression at a pixel level (viewed on screen at 3:1), and they're very small indeed,

I've just taken the same 7Mpix shot of a barley field in 'Fine' and 'Basic', and the second file is 56% of the size of the first. It takes Paint Shop Pro's compresssion level 12 to compress the first image to a size close to that of the second, for what it's worth. On all of my digicams, I've found that there was only a tiny difference in image quality on going to the most compressed setting. So I often use 'basic' or 'economy' myself, and only turn it up if I want particularly high quality

Don't know if this helps in assessing what difference you'd see between the two compression levels you describe.

Good luck, Alan T

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2007, 7:06 PM   #3

I was looking more for indoor photos in marginal light. I realise that's not the best environment to take photos but with a baby on the way that's where most photos will be taken. Also the compression was for jpeg artifacting.

Also Alan is that a kodak in your hand in the photo?
dvdivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:07 PM   #4

My avatar image is a 5Mpix Casio QV-5700, my digicam for a few years until Sep2005.

I still use it occasionally, because it has an external flash socket and 5-shot, variable-stepexposure bracketing. It gets round the problem of poor LCD screen visibility in bright ambient lighting by having an optical viewfinder plus a small digital LCD window displaying the current aperture & shutter settings, so it's fully usable even when you can't read the menus on the screen.

It was preceded by a 3Mpix Olympus C3020Z, which I'd still be using for its excellent lens if I hadn't sold it.

It was superseded by a Casio Ex-750, which has 7Mpix and a better screen, and is still used because it goes in my breast pocket, and then by the wonderful Z712is which I bought this May, for its long zoom, IS, and excellent electronic viewfinder, in a very small and remarkably cheap camera giving me most of what my OM-10 film SLR and several lenses did, and lots more besides.

Good luck! Alan T
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:26 PM   #5

dvdivx wrote:
Quote:
Just have some questions on the z712is.

1.How is the low light performance compared to the 612? Is it a fair low light performer especially indoors? (for a point and shoot - yes I know a dslr is better)

Let me answer a couple of your questions from a Z612 owners perspective.

1) I looks to me like the 712s noise and detail at ISO 800 is about as good as the 612 at 400. That's a one stop gain.

3) Based on the Z612 Kodak isn't that heavy handed with the jpg compression that PP is a problem if your editing software compression can be controlled.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2007, 4:07 PM   #6

Greetings DVD,

The Z712is is a pretty good camera and does a good job in low light. The specs on it are as follows. The 3200 setting is only available when the camera is at 1.2 meg image capture.This settings will let you get some great shots in pretty low light.

ISO sensitivity

auto, 80, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200**

Metering modes

multi-pattern, center-weighted, spot (zone tracks with 5 focus zones)

Compensation

±2.0 EV with 1/3 EV steps

Bracketing

±1.0 EV with 1/3 EV steps, 3 images

AE lock

when shutter button pressed

Histogram display

display on live view, quick view, and review

White balance

auto, daylight, tungsten, fluorescent, open shade

Also, the apertures for the camera are as follows. Note that when fully zoomed the aperture is indeed at 36–432 mm (35 mm equiv.) f/2.8–4.8 SCHNEIDER-KREUZNACH VARIOGON Lens.

The compression may be around there, but I do not have the engineering specs so cannot say for sure how it plays out. I would say, however, that the compression is not going to change. Also, how a mathematical algorithm is created and used as well as its efficiency is the key. The compression for this camera is excellent. I do not foresee any changes to that in future firmware changes if any.

Talk to you soon. I encourage you to try the camera first hand and take a few pictures to be sure it is going to do what you want. Bring along a memory card so you can recall what you did and the settings.You can later decide if things are as you like.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2007, 11:04 PM   #7

DVD-

I have found that my Z-712 does quite well at ISO 800. As A.C. mentioned it does much, muchbetter than the Z-612 in similiar low light level conditions. Using the same ISO 800 the Z-712's flash range can be extended nicely out to 30 to 35 feet.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote