Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jul 26, 2007, 4:41 PM   #1
KLV

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I'm curious about the Z712. After reading all the glowing comments about the Z712, I am considering one for myself. I have noticed, however, that the price of this camera is rapidly falling. While I'm all for lower prices, I'm just wondering if anyone knows if there is a specific reason for the -what I consider dramatic- price reduction. Is this camera prone to durability issues or is it alresdy going out of production etc.. Thanks in advance for any insight.
KLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2007, 5:26 PM   #2

Its an excellent camera and I think Kodak is just getting ready to release its new line is all, hence the falling prices and that's typical of electronics...you would have made a good choice if you chose this cam...good luck
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 10:10 PM   #3

Here in the UK, I paid 219 ukpounds in May, was delighted to see it go up in price to 249, (still good value, I think).I'm now distressed to see it on internet sale at 193 inc.postage, which is astonishing.

The US exchange rate is about 2 dollars to the pound, though in 'ripoff Britain', as our newspapers call it,it is usual to see one dollar per pound equivalence in price for anything technological.

Haven't found anything much wrong yet, and it's the best camera I've had. A rechargeable battery and charger isn't supplied, and that will cost 20-35 ukpounds
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2007, 2:00 AM   #4
KLV

Thanks for the replies. I'm more than likely going to buy a Z712 but, since I use to repair copy machines for Minolta and saw how quickly machines that were no longer in production were abandoned by the manufacturer, I was just a little nervous about any service or repair. Since the positive reviews on this camera seem to far outweigh the negative reviews, I'm probably over thinking everything and should just take the plunge into thre Z712 world. :-)
Old Jul 27, 2007, 9:36 AM   #5

Lets just hope that at least one manufacturer isn't in a race to add more megapixels and noise to its future line up. If Kodak can add a 28mm start to their z712 plus a raw mode and a hot shoe while keeping it at 7mp sensor they would win the ultrazoom war hands down and finally get noticed by review sites and buyers.

Since other manufacturers seem more interested in making pictures of noise it gives Kodak or some other company room to be No 1 if they just pay attention to the output from a photographers stand point.
dvdivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2007, 2:48 PM   #6

KLV wrote:
Quote:
I'm more than likely going to buy a Z712 but, since I use to repair copy machines for Minolta and saw how quickly machines that were no longer in production were abandoned by the manufacturer.
In general Kodak does try to support their cameras out to at least the 5 year point. At the current rate of development for consumer grade cameras and the labor cost of repair a five year old P&S should generally be replaced rather than repaired. Kodak does generally offer good trade-in/upgrade allowances when ordering through their on-line store.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2007, 2:50 PM   #7
KLV

I agree,dvdivx. The reason I'm looking at the Kodak is because I've used and returned both the Canon S5 and the Olympus 550uz. For me, even in good light, the Canon had way to much noise at anything over ISO 80 and the Olympus would not focus on moving images very well, as well as being very fuzzy with significant purple fringing at the long telephoto end. Tomorrow, even though they'reprobably tired of me by now, I might take the 160 mile round trip trek back to Best Buy and give the Z712 a try.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 3:05 PM   #8
KLV

acsmith:
Thanks, that's nice to know. Also, if the camera industry is anything like the copier industry, in 5 years, technolgy will make these cameras look like dinosaurs and it will be time for an upgrade.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 3:43 PM   #9

Greetings,

Yes, I work for Kodak so I guess I am a bit biased, but from a person perspective, I have found this camera to be excellent. It provides the fastest click to capture time I have seen in a point and shoot and the optics etc, are excellent. I find the features great as well. I usually go for the P series for flash options or to the V cameras for pocketable options, i.e. the V610 or 705.

Of the others, i.e. Z camera I really like it and have taken it home more than a few times because it is so fast as well as easy to handle.

If you are looking for speed and such this is the camera. Reliability - I think most Kodak cameras do good job plus you get a full 1 year warranty and an extra month if you register the camera with Kodak.

Like I said, I am with Kodak, but have thoroughly enjoyed this camera.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote