Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 4, 2007, 2:10 AM   #1

I seldom use flash, and now I have image stabilisation and good quality at high ISO I'll use it even less.I have the flash switched off by default, which stops it popping up unexpectedly.

On all my previous cameras, on occasions when I have wanted flash & therefore switched it on again, there's been a pause and an indication while the capacitor charges. I haven't noticed this on the Z712, and the flash always seems ready for action. It's pretty powerful too, I'm told.

I just wonder whether it charges every time the camera is switched on, and the charge then gently leaks away if it's unused. This, together with unavoidable extension of the lens barrel on every switch-on, even reviewing images, might cause apparently heavy energy use, if the camera is routinely switched off between shots. I switch off mostly so that the lens cap can be replaced.

Please can someone say (the much put-upon Ron Baird, for example) if this is the case or not?
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2007, 11:46 AM   #2

My two Kodak digital cameras (C310 and DX3215) charge the flash each time I power up the cameras. There doesn't seem to be an option to turn off the charge feature on power up. My Kodaks do not remember I selected flash off from last time and default back to autoflash.

My Casio EX-S600 does remember the flash being set to off so it doesn't charge up the flash on power up. There is an option in the menu to remember your previous camera settings used.

I think I'm ok for a some energy waste versus missing a good shot. =)

dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2007, 12:58 PM   #3

dr_spock wrote:
Quote:
...(C310 and DX3215) charge the flash each time I power up...doesn't seem to be option to turn off the charge... Kodaks do not remember...flash off...default ...EX-S600 does remember...doesn't charge flash on power up.
Thanks for the reply.

My Z712 does remember the flash is set to off, and powers up with it set to off. But when I switch the flash on it's ready instantly. I've always seen an indicator and heard a whistle when my other cameras have been charging the flash. That's why I suspect it may bewasting power by charging on every powerup. So either it's doing that or it's managing to charge the flashgun rapidly & silently.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 2:04 PM   #4

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
That's why I suspect it may bewasting power by charging on every powerup. So either it's doing that or it's managing to charge the flashgun rapidly & silently.
I think you're probably correct in saying it charges immediately and I suspect the reason is that the flash functions as a focus aid in low light situations. If the flash is switched off then it attempts to use the yellow led as an aid. I suspect the programming doesn't take that into account.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote