Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 5, 2007, 5:38 PM   #1

Hello everybody.

Newbie here.

Im looking at the z 612 and z 712.

I am looking at doing some photography in the woods and think these would be good options because of the zoom. Are these a good choice for this app?

Why is the 612 the same price as the 712 on Kodaks website ? Isnt the 712 the newer model?

The local Ciruit city has the 612 for 165.96 . Is it worth it to spend the extra cash to get the 712?

Thanks for any replies.
Manray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2007, 10:42 PM   #2

The main functional differences between the Z612 and the Z712 is the 712 adds an in-camera panoramic stitching capability and a higher ISO capability, at least some of which is usable. Of course the Z712 has another MP but that's of little significance.

The Z612, on the other hand includes a charger and a rechargeable battery that must be purchased extra on the Z712 and that rechareab;e battery is the preferred power source for either camera.

That Circuit City price for the Z612 is less than the price for a Kodak refurbished 612. Both cameras are excellent and whatever price you pay for either is a bargain considering the performance.

Now, which is better for you? What do you take pictures of in the wood, large wildlife, small wildlife, insects, flowers or? The cameras are very near equal and only if it is fairly dark does the z712 have a bit of an advantage.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2007, 10:48 PM   #3

Manray-

Yes, indeed the Kodak Z-712 is worth the extra cash. Why you might ask? Because the Z-712 can very effectively operate at much higher ISO settings than the Z-612. That is very worthwhile thinking about.

Take a look at this photo. It was taken with the Z-712. The subject was 35 feet away from the camera. Was a flash photo still possible? Yes, if the ISO setting was increased to ISO 800. Yep, you will probably have to use either Noise Ninja or a similiar noise reduction program, but you will get the photo that you desired.

Here is a sample photo with no noise reduiction software applied. Yes, you heard me correctly, it was at ISO 800 and at 35 feet.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 12:38 AM   #4

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
pictures of in the wood, large wildlife, small wildlife, insects, flowers or? The cameras are very near equal and only if it is fairly dark does the z712 have a bit of an advantage.
The extra pixels can be usefulas well (assuming they're not merely worse quality ones).

I couldn't have got this shot with any camera I've had before. It's on the Z712 at 222mm equiv, 1/1000 f/3.6, and cropped quite a lot. I leapt out of my vehicle as I drove out of the gate and spotted the bee on the rhododendrons. Being excited, and racing to catch it, I wouldn't have been able to hold it steady without image stabilisation, and it was a snatched shot.

Addendum: I now realise it was a 5Mpix shot, but I assume the camera gave me a bit of the benefit of the full 7.1 in its averaging procedure, did it?
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 7:28 AM   #5

Thanks for the quick replies.

I am an advid outdoorsman who spends hours of time in the woods . There are lots of things I will be photographing. Deer , Turkey, etc.

Anyways im sorry I didnt wait for the replies before I rushed down and bought the 612. That price was too good to pass up and they only had two left.

I dont feel like I made a mistake after reading the replies though.

Also thanks for posting the great photos.

Old Aug 6, 2007, 9:02 AM   #6

Congrats on your purchase. I

I've been using my Z712 in 5Mpix mode a lot, so a 612 would have done for me. I use the 7Mpix only when in search of highest quality, or when I expect to crop heavily (when even 432mm isn't long enough a zoom!). 6Mpix isn't on offer on the 712, so you have a good compromise there.

Happy shooting. Alan T
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 12:12 PM   #7

Manray:

Here are three outdoors Z612 photos. I have been very pleased with my Z612 and I payed more last Dec. than the current price of either the Z612 or the Z712. This one was shot at ISO 400 hand held, Icaptionit "I guess your wondering why I've called this meeting."

The EXIF data is attached.
Attached Images

Old Aug 6, 2007, 12:14 PM   #8

This is also at ISO 400. No noise reduction other than what's built in to the Z612 was used.
Attached Images

Old Aug 6, 2007, 12:18 PM   #9

ISO 100
Attached Images

Old Aug 6, 2007, 12:52 PM   #10

[glow=yellow]WOW !.........Great images.[/glow]
Im excited about getting mine. I had to order the camara from circuit city because they didnt have them in stock. It should be here in a few days.:-)

My other choice was a cannon a710. I stumbled on to the Kodak while checking the cannon specs.

I felt like this :?after researching all the camaras. I read pages and pages of reviews and hardly a negative comment on the 612.

And now the wait...................