Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 6, 2007, 3:13 PM   #1

Hi to all, My name is Andres, i`m from Uruguay (South America), I`ve decide to buy a Kodak Z712.
My brother is travelling to CA next month and i`m going to buy the cam from the internet using my Credit Card and send it to him.

I have some questions that maybe you can give me the answer :

1) The resolution of the LCD Screen is 115k or 150k pixels ?, at the specifitations it is 115k and at the camera demo, features menu it`s 150k
( http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US )

2) I`ve red all about the batterys at this forum ( Alan T information including), and i`ve conclude that the best will be to buy a pair of Klic-8000 and a charger, the problem is that the original costs too much money. Somebody here have tried a non-Kodak brand Klic-8000 ?, are they as good as kodak`s ? any brand to recomend me and place to buy ? or maybe a place where i can buy original CHEAP kodak Klic-8000.
take a look at this baterys http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...thium_Ion.html
is that brand (Impact) nice ?

3) How many pic`s using lcd screen are you able to take with a Klic-8000 ?

4) I found that basiclly there are 3 types of SD cards, around 1-3 mb/s transfer rate (the cheapest one`s), 7-9 mb/s and the fastest and expensive`s 19-23 mb/s.
I`m planing to buy a 2gb or 4 gb SD but i dont know wich one to buy. i`ll use the cam often to record videos, do i need a minimum transfer rate at the SD card for it to work fine ? or with a cheap one would it be ok ?
Please, tell me your experiences using diferents SD cards.

5) i`ll record videos using 640x480 @ 30fps, can someone send me one of this? i want to see the quality
how many minutes of video can i record using a 1, 2 or 4 gb SD card ?

6) Want to buy also a Tripod, for long video recordings and telephoto pics, wich one do you recomend me and place to buy it (US) ? what height (opened) would be ok for this ? it would be great if i can put it with the camera in it`s respective bag (a medium one)

7) a nice but cheap medium camera bag ?

8 )a trust store for buy the cam ? best prices are on this one`s
- http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
- http://focuscamera.com
- http://buy.com

9) finally, do you use LCD screen protectors ? are them necesary ?

Thank you very much!!! :-)

Andres

p.d. Sorry about my poor english :O

nologrocomprender is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2007, 2:02 PM   #2

anyone ?
Old Aug 9, 2007, 5:09 PM   #3

I'll attempt to answer a few of your questions. I'm a Z612 owner.

1. LCD screen resolution - I suspect 115K is the right number as I haven't seen the 150K number show up on any other Kodak products.

2. I think most of us using the Z612/Z712 use the EVF primarily forthree reasons 1) the EVF is less bothered by sunlight in outdoor situations, 2) it's easier to hold the camera steady when its against your face and 3) save the battery. Z712 users have one more reason - the EVF has a higher resolution than the LCD. Therefore I doubt that you're likely get an answer on the LCD/battery life question simply because most of us don't use the camera in that mode extensively.

3. Video 640x480/30fps - about 30 mi./GB

4. I have three tripods and a monopod (30+ years old) but I've never purchased one that I haven't handled first. The Z712 is fairly light so you really don't need heavy weights like two of mine. You need enough height to bring the camera to eye-level without extending the center pole very much which is a way of saying the full height should be a bit taller than you are. You might try re-asking just this question in the tripod forum or check the other info there.Look at the locking mechanism on the legs, cam or lever locks are generally preferred over screw locks.

5. You might be able to get a reasonable bag on your local market. I don't get fussy about camera bags.I just go to Wal Mart and pick one that seems reasonably constructed that holds the gear I want to carry.

6. LCD protectors - Don't use them, haven't had damage.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2007, 5:30 PM   #4

Hello Andres..I do not have a z712 so I will try to answer what questions I can..
#2 batterys- I've only used Kodak brand but B+H is very reliable and if they sell an off brand I would probably trust them
#4 sd cards-I would go with middle of the pack, you won't see any boost from the fastest cards, lately I've seen some very good prices on Sandisk Ultra II ( 9m/sec)
#5- this one surprised me, Kodak says 7 min./1gb for 640x480,,28 min./1gb for 320x240...I assume a 2gb card would double that
#6 I like a tripod that is at least as tall as I...stooping over will give you a stiff neck quickly...I don't know of one that will fit in a camera bag
#8 If B+H price is good, I would go with them, I and many others have enjoyed doing business with them
#9 necessarry? I don't think so, Have never scratched an lcd, but that doesn't mean it cant happen, they are reasonable insurance

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2007, 8:32 PM   #5

dan279 wrote:
Quote:
#5- this one surprised me, Kodak says 7 min./1gb for 640x480,,28 min./1gb for 320x240...I assume a 2gb card would double that

Dan

My [email protected]30min/GB number is an approximation of the info found on page 67 of the Z612 manual. What it actually says it 31min. 57 sec. on a 1 GB card. I haven't been able to find the direct info listed against the Z712 but one would guess that 640x480 30fps using the same mpeg4 compression is going to result in the same file sizes regardless of the camera.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 8:55 PM   #6

dan279 wrote:
Quote:
#2 batterys- I've only used Kodak brand but B+H is very reliable and if they sell an off brand I would probably trust them

Dan

As with Dan I've used only the Kodak KLIC8000 batteries and the K8500 charger that comes with the Z612. The K8500 seems to be the same as the K7500C except it's not packaged with the extra world-wide adapter plugs shipped with the Z7500C.

This simply my perception but it seems to me, reading here and at DPReview those using that combination are the most satisfied.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 10:03 AM   #7

thanx ac.smith and dan279..

anybody can share with me a [email protected] Z712IS video ?