Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 19, 2007, 6:54 PM   #31

When recording the video light is turned on ( in lowlight conditions). is therea way toto turn this off?
slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2007, 8:18 PM   #32

Double M wrote:
Quote:
I have 2 things to say regarding audio quality on the Z812 IS:

1) There was a recent firmware upgrade that apparently improves HD recording quality.

2) The HD recording quality audio is only 16000 KhZ. You probably know this but CD quality is between 44000 and 48000 so they obviously didn't design this photo and video camera with high quality audio in mind but this may have been improved with the new firmware codec.
Kodak could save their company by offering quality video/audio features on their cameras, they could market their cameras as "Hey, you don't need an separate video camera, our camera does both in HD quality". They could even offer JAVA FX based touch screen phone function (with optional external dialing headset of course). In that way, people could have every function in one device, but with proper photo and video performance )instead of "Mickey Mouse" photo and video performance you get from most phones. The cost, and size, and fraction of all these things separately.

Quality means 18-24mb/s AVCHD 720p50+ 10bit 4:2:0 (more for non ambarella codec chip). The full data rate available to all resolutions and frame rates, as well as reduced ones. HDMI (and component) live uncompressed HD out, and optional wired manual hand controls. For Mpeg4/Mpeg2, 36-50mb/s, for wavelet, or new Jpeg standard, 50-100Mb/s (for 50fps+).

Increases in solid state storage technology are heading towards 50mb/s being affordable, and for high end cameras, hard drive technologies is moving towards 100mb/s being affordable. Though, normal Jpeg needs 200mb/s at 50fps+.

Another option is, cineform Raw bayer/video codecs, for truly professional quality at even less data-rate (used for bayer film cameras). They have hardware coming.

But I guess Kodak is manufacturers int eh same factory along side competing models using technology/features available through the manufacturer. There are an lot of competitive "American" solutions I just mentioned, rather than being bought and landing up an Asian company.

I think an lot of professional videographers/as well as photographers, would really appreciate such solutions. An high end solution under $1600US would look cheap to them, when you consider the constrictions in the video camera market out there.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2007, 8:25 PM   #33

I have the Z712 for about a week now, it has the same AF-lamp light, which can be blocked with a simple black tape when you're recording video in low light

Given the value the Kodak Z#12 series provides, they've probably done a lot of tweaking to get so much features into a camera like this, having low audio quality is probably one of the lower priorities for a PROSUMER digital camera. Price is one of Kodak's advantages in this segment.
whyzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 10:16 AM   #34

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
...My Z612 definitely vignettes at 5.85 actual - 35 equiv. ...at f5.6. This may explain some of the difference between your Z712 observations and my Z612 observations......
The distressing effect on panoramas is illustrated in the attached'Exifer' screen shots with the thumbnails alongside each other. The lenswas wide open at full zoom. As you can see, I'd have to crop off all butthe centre two-thirds width of each image before stitching, doubling the number of frames for any pano.

I think I'll ask in the 'Panoramas & stitching' forumwhether anyone has any graduated anti-vignetting software filters that will lighten the corners for me.

I'll reinspect some of my wider angle shots as well. However, the only time I'venoticed is when I tried to stitch pictures like this.

Thanks for the data comparison,
Alan T
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 1:24 AM   #35

To bring you up to date from my tues, Oct 16th post @ 11:41 AM CA PDT

I complained for a month so theKodak Store finally did have my original Z812 IS picked up and Im waiting for credit, and they charged me for another Z812 IS. The bad news is the replacement is exactly as distorted, overmodulated, and has terrible audio and AGC control with other than a soft voice. Forget recording with a stereo playing in the background or any live music, band or amplified singing. Canon Power shot still/video audio as other makes record just fine under the same audio enviornment that the Kodak Z812 IS distorts to a point where its unuseable.

BTW, both Z812 IS have Firmware Version 1.0300

I also just received a new kodak 5MP C513 model with IS which has mono audio which has video and audio recording which sells for List Price of $79.00 I recorded the same audio and voice holding both the Z812 IS and the C513 with both hands. The C513 has extremely clear audio, including the lower frequencies and bass, and the AGC works flawless keeping the record audio steady for soft as well as loud and changing audio sounds.

Kodak, Im afraid is going to realize they did not field test the Z6,7,812 under actual sound conditions, background or live music, and has the AGC filtering and response set where any bass or low frequency sound, or loud sound results in a distorted unuseable mess until the average level returns to a soft speaking level.

Kodak customer service is flustrating, being on hold, disconnected, and not many can answer anything thats not in the manual.

A.C. BTWI am very familar with professional audio since the late 50's,and completly read the users manual online before receiving the first Z812 IS

I do not expect hi quality audio from such a device with internal microphones a few inches apart. I do expect that at $300 it would record audio as well as Kodaks $79C513 just released, and equivilent of older canon, fuji, nikon lesser video and audio digital still cameras, that do well under the same recording enviornment.

I now wish kodak would have had the option to turn off audio recording as its unusable with live music even 75 feet or so away, or even with a stereo playing at normal volume in the background for music. Right now i must purchase video/audio editing software to eliminate the terrible distorted mess or cover the microphone holes which will make a more muffled sound with the distortion on anything but a low soft voice.

BTW the audio quality is the same [distortion too] on the lowest or HD video setting or adding sound to still image slide shows.

Now to convince Kodak engineering their audio performance, distortion, and terrilble AGC control and filtering is sub par to their $79 still/video digital camera. I'm going to make sure that kodak and reviewers and the photography field know there is a performance and quality problem with this series to an otherwise superb optical and performance fairly low cost HD and Hi performance camera.

As I said my iPAQ pocket PC, my $30 cassette recorder, and my MP3 recorder/player have superior, clear, audio, with excellent automatic AGC control compared to this Kodak Z812 IS. If two out the box new factory sealed units are the same, I think Kodak ought to recall or replace the whole lot after they solve the audio recording and AGC problem, hopefully via a firmware update.

Deltasac

Deltasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 2:16 AM   #36

[quote]How do you play the HD recordings on your PC?[/Qutoe]

Slade

Really dumb of kodak the mini USB cord has a yellow RCA plug for video, and a white RCA plug for mono audio out of the camera to play on TV sets or monitors.

Kodak has a new HD dock which transferes stereo audio, HD video via the component only video output jacks [RED, Blue, Green] it has a wireless remote control for all functions, slide shows, etc. It cost $99

The other way is to remove the SD media and use a card reader or transfer the media directly to your hard drive and launch your favorite viewer or media player directly from the file.

Kodak doesnt say, but you need at least a 60X speed SD flash card to get smooth recording and playback at 30fps. I use 150x cards. Lexar makes Kodak media, and the speed is not markedand kodak doesnt know except that the HP for High Performance. The lexar site as well as the kodak site show their media and Kodaks HP's are 60X and about twice as much as standard class 6 sd media. Kodak will sell you standard media card they supply in accessory kits or accessories for thatmodel. [notvery good thinking]

Kodak needs to acknowledge and correct their distorted lousy sound problem, mention in the users manual that the accessory lens adapter makes shadows in the default wide mode at turn on, and needs to supply a 55mm lens cap that will fit the threads of a 55mm UV or netural filter used for protection when you use or leave on the adapter. And add a no sound or sound off setting in setup.

Otherwise its a nice looking, handling, and high performance digital camera, one of the first with HD quality still and viedo and a terrific image stabilized 12 x [432mm 35mm equivilentcamera at a reasonable price. I got mine for 10% off from the Kodak Store @ 269.96

Old Oct 23, 2007, 8:20 PM   #37

I just downloaded version 1.04 firmware for the Kodak Z812 and installed.

It did not solve or affect the terrible distorted poor AGC of the still and video audio recording of this product.

Kodaks new image stabilized 5MP C513 @$79 retail runs circles around the Z812-IS as far as audio clearity, good to excellent AGC, and audio recording.

Kodak won't listen, acknowledge, or admit they have a serious audio recording problem with the Z812 IS digital camera.

Old Oct 24, 2007, 5:34 AM   #38

Mystic-grapher wrote:
Quote:
.....And i would like to as Steve, if he was so pleased with z612 can he explore and review z812? i think it would be fair.. he could compare it with some older models or direck competitors like canon S5 or panasonic fz18.. it would be very interesting to see such comparison
See the link I've posted to one-page reviews from another Steve (not our own Steve's Digicams Forum god) of the Z812 & the S5, embedded in this message....

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...813571#p813571

He doesn't mention the audio quality, though.

Old Oct 24, 2007, 1:03 PM   #39

wow, so many discussions since my last visit.. nice to see such a live forum..

thanx Alan, for the links, it was interesting to see.

Alan i'd like to see some of your pictures, could you show me the link, where I could find them. thanks.

I'm still waiting for a real review, i hope that reviewers will update the firmware, before reviewing the camera.. as i have updated the firmware, and learn how to shoot in P,S not automatic modes, i'm very pleased with the results i get.

what about bad audio, quality, haven't notice it, but i believe it can be such.. well Kodak has to make at least some profit.. so they cut at some points..

but overall the camera gets better and better every time i use it..

here's one shot i took today.. btw it's my first b/w shot..

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2055/...8ea112f2_b.jpg

if you are interested in more of my pictures, visit my account on flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Mystic-grapher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 2:12 PM   #40

Mystic-grapher wrote:
Quote:
...Alan i'd like to see some of your pictures, could you show me the link, where I could find them. thanks....
I posted a list of links as the third message in the thread...

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=580210&forum_id=18

...to a few of the Z712 images I've posted recently in the 'Biweekly Shootout' forum here in Steve's Forums. Most of them were from my summer holidays. The last link is the best.