Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 16, 2007, 1:59 PM   #1

As kodak came out with another Model above its version the z612/712

now the 812

my question are:

would there be a wide angle lense available forthis they show telephoto?

if anyone has Purchsed one will they Please post a sample Vid

As I know the 612/712 zoom has noise and foucusing problems for some, not a problem at all

I owned the 612 glad I returned it

I seen the 612 for a near 200.00 usc and the 712not far. now the 812 is thesame body, and at the 300.00 price I am sure 250 will be good price?

812 left 712 right

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2007, 5:13 PM   #2

I notice, as of 2 min. ago the Z812 has been pulled from Kodak's web site and even when it was posted it didn't include a spec. sheet.

I really doubt that you'd like a Z812 if you didn't like the Z612.

Based on only what could be seen on the now missing pages there would likely be no more wide-angle options than on the current Z612/Z712 as the lens/lens mount appeared to be identical to the Z612/Z712 and that's where the wide-angle limitation originates.

By your mentioning zoom noise and focus together I presume you mean while shooting video. If so that again goes back to the lens design and that appeared to be identical to Z612/Z712.

A. C.

Happy Z612 Owner
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:22 AM   #3

It's still listed for the UK site except it lists sept 14th as the date it gets delivered and offered a preorder option for it. Could be they are just updating the webpage for it. The z612 takes some great pics from what I've seen on flikr. Fewer people are posting samples of the z712.
The one thing I wish would be an option on kodaks is more control over the noise reduction and ideally bringing back the raw option. Most of the samples from the z712 are slightly out of focus but don't know how the people are focusing. Maybe spot focusing would be better. I have a feeling that the z812 will be a good camera.
dvdivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2007, 9:27 AM   #4

Still off the US site nor is it listed under the Z-Series listing accessed on the left although the ZD710 is listed there rather than the all cameras page (@$199.95, less than the Z710).

I really doubt that it takes Kodak US this long to update availability or add a specifications page. When the Z812 was listed it gave a Sept. availability without a specific date. Maybe they pulled it to update the camera design to add a hot shoe (hope, hope:-)). Alternately maybe they were still in a long stock position on both the Z612 and the Z712 and decided to shoot for a Christmas availability with heavy pre-Christmas advertising. Only speculating with a very fuzzy (obviously non-Kodak) crystal ball.

As far as more pictures on the web from the Z612 compared to the Z712 - I think that's because there are more Z612 in the hands of users due to it being in the market longer.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 10:13 PM   #5

I'm sure the reason it's listed in the UK and not the US is that in the UK it can sell for 275 pounds and that's alot more than $299 US. Samsung's flash shutdown probably hampered Kodak's ability to get enough flash memory for the internal memory on the camera so they are just selling it in the most profitable markets for now. Plus they have to unload the z712's.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 10:48 AM   #6

dvdivx wrote:
Quote:
I'm sure the reason it's listed in the UK and not the US is that in the UK it can sell for 275 pounds and that's alot more than $299 US. Samsung's flash shutdown probably hampered Kodak's ability to get enough flash memory for the internal memory on the camera so they are just selling it in the most profitable markets for now. Plus they have to unload the z712's.
I hope you'll let us if it's actually available SEP 14 but I note that every other camera, as far as I can tell,on the UK site has a spec sheet and every camera on the US has a spec sheet. The Z812 never had a spec sheet on the US site either. Until a spec sheet shows up I'd be real suspicious of any availability dates.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 5:48 PM   #7

Well it looks like the z812 has become a non camera. It has disappeared off all the websites and who knows what happened to it. Looks like I will have to keep using my old Sony f707 for a while. I wonder if anyone else can add a 1280 x 720 30fps mode to their camera. Looks like you were right about the spec sheet and availability.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 2:48 AM   #8

check out this site - I called them and they said they had the Kodak z812 in stock for $239... http://www.bwayphoto.com/product.asp...s&l=Everyprice
tomel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2007, 12:51 PM   #9

tomel7 wrote:
Quote:
check out this site - I called them and they said they had the Kodak z812 in stock for $239... http://www.bwayphoto.com/product.asp...p;l=Everyprice
Absolutely never trust any photo source/retailer with Broadway in the name.

A. C.

Old Aug 23, 2007, 11:34 PM   #10

That person was just a spammer. One post - "check out this site" garbage. Reseller ratings for that site is below 2 for a reason. You don't see BHphotovideo spaming along with other well rated retailers.

The z812 still isn't on Kodak's site. One wonders if they went back to the drawing board to add a wider angle or are just going to re-release it next week at the IFA. If they do make a change only 3 would be perfect (for me at least). In order of importance:

1. More control over the noise reduction, at least 5 levels of control.
2. RAW format.
3. 28mm start on the zoom.
4. A hot-shoe.

#4 won't likely happen but even the top two would be nice. I was ready to get the z812 as is since the video on the 1275 looks great but if they are going to make improvements more power to them.